wipers sticking

The wipers on my Carrera 3 became quite lethargic some months ago, and would sometimes stop midway. I thought that it may be a lazy motor. It blew a fuse a while back which I replaced and I think that it worked after. I though that it may be from lack of use. There was a smell from the luggage compartment and behind the clocks. After some investigation I think that the smell was from the motor.

The motor seems to be fine but the wipers get stuck in the vertical position. They will pass this point with assistance and will continue a full loop and get stuck here again. The motor is attempting to pass it and there is a grinding noise. It seems like it may be worn teeth on the gear. Could any one advise me if this seems likely or is there another likely fault?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The shafts are seizeing probably. Take the wiper arms off completely, take the covers off and stick a load of oil based lubricant and hope that it goes down the shafts and helps them rotate. If they are still bad you might need to take the whole assembly off and free them up that way, however it ivloves taking all the front blower assembly off and a lot of jiggery-pokery. Just did mine at the weekend so if you need any pictures or guidance give me a shout.

Edited by Dr_Danger

The shafts are seizeing probably. Take the wiper arms off completely, take the covers off and stick a load of oil based lubricant and hope that it goes down the shafts and helps them rotate. If they are still bad you might need to take the whole assembly off and free them up that way, however it ivloves taking all the front blower assembly off and a lot of jiggery-pokery. Just did mine at the weekend so if you need any pictures or guidance give me a shout.

Dr_Danger,

Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't considered this. I will give it a try. Fingers crossed.

Ciaran

The wipers on my Carrera 3 became quite lethargic some months ago, and would sometimes stop midway. I thought that it may be a lazy motor. It blew a fuse a while back which I replaced and I think that it worked after. I though that it may be from lack of use. There was a smell from the luggage compartment and behind the clocks. After some investigation I think that the smell was from the motor.

The motor seems to be fine but the wipers get stuck in the vertical position. They will pass this point with assistance and will continue a full loop and get stuck here again. The motor is attempting to pass it and there is a grinding noise. It seems like it may be worn teeth on the gear. Could any one advise me if this seems likely or is there another likely fault?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ciaran,

I had a similar problem, a loud squeaking and very stiff wiper arms.

I too suspected the motor but when I removed the blower (which isnt that much of a hassle) I squirted the wiper mechanisms moving parts, while on, with white lithium grease. It worked a treat and has been running as it should ever since (2 years). Mine had just dried out due to lack of use.

Not sure what you were smelling but it could have been the wiper motor heating up as it was being over burdened.

I remember the wiper mechanism took a while to be smooth and quiet and lubrication needs to be carefully applied so as not to cover the surrounding area!

A job worth doing as it will hopefully save your hard working wiper motor.

Good luck with it!

Lads,

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated. I will give the suggestions a try starting with the easiest.

Tea boy,

If all else fails I will be in touch, thank you for letting me know.

Regards,

Ciaran

• 1 month later...

I eventually got around to dealing with the wipers issue. It appears to have been a loose bolt on the wiper motor itself, which must have allowed the spindle to go out of line, resulting in slipping at one point. Anyway, I tightened it up and it appears ok for now.

The information which I found on the forum was very useful for accessing it.

Thank you.

Ciaran