Novice Track day at Brands today - arrivo rosso!

SP72

Was lined up to do my first track day at Brands this evening .... recent Motul 300V 5w/40, new DS2500s, new AP600 fluid ...

... and promptly failed the noise test! 106dB static versus the evening limit of 102dB. Measured at 4500rpm, then again at 4000 but still no joy ..

Gutted was not the word - Nathan took me for a spin (errr, literally) which helped matters - and made me feel slightly ill!

Love the sound of the exhaust as it is so don't want to change that .... are there any perforated caps i could use to dampen the dB's somewhat?

Cheers

Edited by SP72

Was lined up to do my first track day at Brands this evening .... recent Motul 300V 5w/40, new DS2500s, new AP600 fluid ...

... and promptly failed the noise test! 106dB static versus the evening limit of 102dB. Measured at 4500rpm, then again at 4000 but still no joy ..

Gutted was not the word - Nathan took me for a spin (errr, literally) which helped matters - and made me feel slightly ill!

Love the sound of the exhaust as it is so don't want to change that .... are there any perforated caps i could use to dampen the dB's somewhat?

Cheers

Shame Shirish :( Ghetto boom box meets trackday noise limits !

Just back from the same event.

Gentle run down, nice and early. First ever car track day, nervous about my rather odd exhaust, but passed with 98db.

After the first session, "excessive smoke" and a nasty oil leak. Early bath for me as well.

Oh well, let's take some parts off and find out where it's all coming from.......

Paul

Just back from the same event.

Gentle run down, nice and early. First ever car track day, nervous about my rather odd exhaust, but passed with 98db.

After the first session, "excessive smoke" and a nasty oil leak. Early bath for me as well.

Oh well, let's take some parts off and find out where it's all coming from.......

Paul

hi Paul - yours was the T reg cabrio right? You and Steve had your heads stuck in the engine bay when me and Nathan walked past ...

sounded great on the track with all the popping and banging on the overun, though very tappety at idle?

hope you get fixed soon - i remember the days of 98dB!

Shirish

Yep, the slightly grotty white T plate Targa. Used 0.5 Litre of oil tonight! 120 miles. Best get it fixed.........

Not a tappet, it's the exhaust is leaking, I think it's a dodgy gasket or a bodged stud. Presently saving for some Dansk or SSI's.

Thanks for your comments about the sound, didn't hear a thing while I was driving. Or was it concentration?

Paul

Edited by SonFlowerinWales

Cheers

I use a cheapo Demonfreaks bung with some extra wadding in for a static test-get's me down from 113 to 104,then pull it out before you go on track-never failed me yet!! :whistling:

Bad luck mate, mine just scrapped through back in March thats with the Dansk single outlet. I would have to think twice about messing with the sound of your car, sounded really good at the dyno meet.

Were you going to wear one of those water melons or have you got your own lid?

Ray

I use a cheapo Demonfreaks bung with some extra wadding in for a static test-get's me down from 113 to 104,then pull it out before you go on track-never failed me yet!! :whistling:

You got a link to this please Rainer? The only one I can see is the Supertrapp one here

kinda spendy, but would consider it if it dropped the db by a few - not sure if these are harmful to the engine? increased back-pressure etc?

Sorry to hear that you didn't get to play Shirish. I'm gutted for you

cheers Gordon - once i'd had a little cry, i felt much better .....

Bad luck mate, mine just scrapped through back in March thats with the Dansk single outlet. I would have to think twice about messing with the sound of your car, sounded really good at the dyno meet.

Were you going to wear one of those water melons or have you got your own lid?

Ray

Hi Ray - thats just it, i really don't want to lose the sound as everyone whose heard it comments positively - a temporary solution like the supertrapp thing would be ideal.

Helmets? I did try a 'watermelon', i just looked more ridiculous than i usually do! A Flash Gordon extra, perhaps - eventually picked up Lico (Sparco offshoot, type-A rated) full face from GPR - 125 squids and looks 'normal' :)

has anyone any experience with a supertrapp end cap?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...ode=MSD344-1705

or anything else that does a similar job - will need to remove around 5dB i reckon ....

cheers

Sorry SP,

Missed this post,i will check in the Demonfreaks cat tomorrow and let you know Pt No etc, i wouldn't worry about supertrap etc,with a static i put the bung in,noise test,and then pull it out prior to trackin-used it at Silverstone,Castle Combe(PCGB Day),Snetterton and Oulton Park, no probs.

Cheers

Sorry SP,

Missed this post,i will check in the Demonfreaks cat tomorrow and let you know Pt No etc, i wouldn't worry about supertrap etc,with a static i put the bung in,noise test,and then pull it out prior to trackin-used it at Silverstone,Castle Combe(PCGB Day),Snetterton and Oulton Park, no probs.

Cheers

nice one rainer, cheers

This sounds like the answer to all our noise problems - post the details and we can group buy from someone cheaper than demon-thieves.

nice one rainer, cheers

Item 5 Page 293 latest Demonfreaks catalogue.I have the one on the righthand side of the three pictured.I cut it down by the second flange and stuffed with extra wadding, held in place with wire through the slots shown.It is a nice tight fit in the M&K.

Cheers

Hi,

What exhaust do you have on your car? I have a Dansk and never considered it would be to loud! Might need to go and get tested.

Anyone know where you can get this done? My brother is off to Bedford tomorrow to get his MK kit car tested to check it within limits but thats a bit far, was hoping there was somewhere closer.

Last time I did a car track day I took my diesel Leon and they laughed at me during the noise test!

:-)

Cheers

Neil

Item 5 Page 293 latest Demonfreaks catalogue.I have the one on the righthand side of the three pictured.I cut it down by the second flange and stuffed with extra wadding, held in place with wire through the slots shown.It is a nice tight fit in the M&K.

Cheers

Hi,

What exhaust do you have on your car? I have a Dansk and never considered it would be to loud! Might need to go and get tested.

Anyone know where you can get this done? My brother is off to Bedford tomorrow to get his MK kit car tested to check it within limits but thats a bit far, was hoping there was somewhere closer.

Last time I did a car track day I took my diesel Leon and they laughed at me during the noise test!

:-)

Cheers

Neil

I have SSI's with 2 in 1 out M&K-112db at 4000rpm static without the bung.

Cheers

Cheers

Hi mate

I don't have a copy of the catalogue - can you spot the item in question on the page below?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...amp;tlgrp=MS003

Cheers