Tankman's Turbo

Starting from the poorly bits that have led to the current full rebuild that I am having to have done, I will gradually add to this with stuff from the magazines the car was featured in previously, some of the stuff that has been done to the car in the past before my stewardship and also the stuff I have had done to the car since purchasing it a few years back.

So, here goes . . .

Inter01.jpg

Bit of a sloppy joe in there?

Shell01.jpg

Oh dear!

Shell02.jpg

Mmmm

Will be doing the top end whilst it's all apart. That will make for a very long parts list and will now be keeping the 160,000 miler A4 for another year as the money involved will be BIG. Would love to have the ability to have a go at this myself but having tried brakes and got on the fail bus have decided that anything like this can only be tackled if I have someone holding my hand 100% of the time.

Hence Bob Watson will be having the financial benefit of this major job. :eusa_boohoo:

Will be thinking about some other stuff to do whilst he is at it like a variable boost control. I know that previously the boost was limited to 0.9 bar however, in a previous incarnation before the car was being not looked after so well by yours truly, it had been running as high as 1.4. I shudder to think what HP and Torque numbers were involved then! :o You can see from the third photo above that the block is pinned and the photo below shows the heads have also been reworked to handle the extra power of the motor.

Valve01.jpg

Plus the next photo shows some very smooth shiny metal in the port region.

Port01.jpg

Will be posting more as things develop on the engine side then will put some photos in chronological order showing the bodywork side of things. Suffice to say it will be a while yet before my little runabout will be turning wheels in anger. :cry:

Edited by Tankman

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Purchased a new crank and intermediate gear out of another motor last week, which have been checked and the crank is middle to top tolerance on standard measurements so a good one. Crank is away being polished ready for assembly and the heads are done, albeit some polishing still left to do to remove the last vestiges of carbon build up on the valve face. The special con-rods that were allegedly in this motor have long since been removed even before I bought the car. Jonas at JZ Machtech who did a lot of the work on the car way back when seems to remember some fancy rods going in at one point . . . . Oh well, mustn't grumble. It'll be so much better when it is done as I will feel much more confident in the engine knowing that it has been put back together properly this time. Can't find the details of the previous engine rebuild but it was some small independent near Horsham I think? Anyway looking forward . . . .

ShinyHeads.jpg

The cams are Standard SC cams which I am informed are a good upgrade for the 930 motor.

SCcams.jpg

The engine should be re-assembled by the end of this week so things are looking up. :rolleyes:

looking good TM ,what power output you expecting ?

Thinking about the boost thingy, I will stick to a 1 bar spring with no twiddly bits and hopefully we should be seeing the same as before.

Img2005-07-02_0011.jpg

Things are moving on apace.

Since last picture posts, the crank has been polished, crack tested and balanced with the rods. As you can see from the latest pictures, it won't be long before the fire up and initial setting of the car. Having spoken with Bob about it, we are hoping that I will have the car this weekend to put some miles on it before returning for an inspection and any adjustments.

Finaladj.jpg

Turbo.jpg

Bumped into Vic Cohen today whilst at Bobs and we had a long chat about all things air cooled. He was up with his 911S, bright orange as is Vics passion for those loud colours. It sounded wonderful on the Dyno. I first met Vic the same day I first met John at the Weltmeister Dyno Day when my little runabout surprised everybody including me with the figures on the chart above. I wonder what we will see now I have a properly working Turbo and a properly working crankshaft?

:cry:

Short on the starter loop and lack of grommet caused by previous bodged electrical work pushed the final set up back by several hours. Consequently, the weekend intervening and a secondary issue with the turbo means I am still without the car.

It's back!

180 miles this afternoon. Half throttle, no more than 4000 revs, which is about 110-115 in top were I to do those speeds on a public road. The engine feels so taught, everytime the boost starts to build I have to short shift to keep the car in check.

Brilliant.

Get some more miles on it then gradually build up the revs after valve clearance check and oil change at BWs.

A few yards of redundant wiring . . . .

IMG_1083.jpg

Stripped out by YT whilst the engine build was going on.

The hoses from the heat exchangers were serviceable if a little mucky so they were used again. With the engine out I was able to check the flapper boxes and replace the springs at the rear. I also did the front boxes and cables and, during my long drive yesterday in the warm September sun, I was able to check that it was no longer permanent Sahara in the cabin. Previously, the heat seeping in due to the rear flapper boxes not closing, was unbearable. It's much better now and I am getting fresh air into the car.

Edited by Tankman

The blue and yellow wires were linked to the sensor under the seat which measures driver sex appeal. Looks like you're going to have to revert to a splash of the old Hai Karate aftershave if you want to let the laydees know how cool you are now mate.

Anyway, that car is surely going to be too fast for you. Better let me have it.

The blue and yellow wires were linked to the sensor under the seat which measures driver sex appeal. Looks like you're going to have to revert to a splash of the old Hai Karate aftershave if you want to let the laydees know how cool you are now mate.

Whoah - going back a bit there Tripe ;)

hai_karate.jpg

Anyway, that car is surely going to be too fast for you. Better let me have it.

sorry to disappoint, but I was only ever a Brut 33 man

A minor observation that may well have a major impact, the starter motor spins the engine a whole lot quicker than it ever did before the rebuild. In my simplistic way I have equated that to less mechanical resistance at the crank and therefore reduced friction will equal more torque/power. Would this be correct?

Don't think so. If this is the same starter motor then it's probably a consequence of having disturbed all the connections giving better conductivity. All things being equal you'd expect a rebuilt motor to have greater compression and so turnover more slowly if anything.The only way to baseline the motor is to put it on the dyno.

Great that you are back in business.

David

D'Oh!

Now you know why I didn't attempt the engine rebuild myself

Added 13/09

Could the starter motor have been trying to tell me something? Had a great drive yesterday afternoon exploring the Nothamptonshire and Leicestershire countryside. Got home and parked the car in the garage to check the oil. Stopped the motor to download a noise meter app for the iPhone. Turned the key, nothing. Just that ominous click that sticks 2 fingers up at you and says wiring? Or new starter motor? The choice is yours.

B0LL0X

added 10:48

it's definitely not the starter.

Edited by Tankman

• 2 weeks later...

This is what it used to look like not long after I acquired it.

DSC01005.jpg

Flugplatz.jpg

You will notice those pseudo 935 brake cooling ducts on the rear arch. Well they did a great job of shooting cold air straight onto the rear tyres. From lots of angles the car looked absolutely brilliant. but underneath, there were a few nasty bits and pieces lurking. I knew that I would have to tackle them as I had seen the signs of a potential money pit when purchasing the car. I didn't care though, nothing I've yet been in other than race cars can compare to that almighty shove in the back when the turbo spools up.