Tankman's Turbo

D'Oh!

Now you know why I didn't attempt the engine rebuild myself

Added 13/09

Could the starter motor have been trying to tell me something? Had a great drive yesterday afternoon exploring the Nothamptonshire and Leicestershire countryside. Got home and parked the car in the garage to check the oil. Stopped the motor to download a noise meter app for the iPhone. Turned the key, nothing. Just that ominous click that sticks 2 fingers up at you and says wiring? Or new starter motor? The choice is yours.

B0LL0X

added 10:48

it's definitely not the starter.

Tankman,

can I ask what app you got for the noise meter - any good???

Regards

Jammo. ;)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tankman,

can I ask what app you got for the noise meter - any good???

Regards

Jammo. ;)

Don't bother, the iPhone can only "measure" up to 105dB and even then it doesn't seem right to me when it displays the sound level.

Cheers Tank & Northy.

Yep, looks a good one that. I will check it out and bin the idea of the iPhone issue.

Regards

Jammo. ;)

D'Oh!

Now you know why I didn't attempt the engine rebuild myself

Added 13/09

Could the starter motor have been trying to tell me something? Had a great drive yesterday afternoon exploring the Nothamptonshire and Leicestershire countryside. Got home and parked the car in the garage to check the oil. Stopped the motor to download a noise meter app for the iPhone. Turned the key, nothing. Just that ominous click that sticks 2 fingers up at you and says wiring? Or new starter motor? The choice is yours.

B0LL0X

added 10:48

it's definitely not the starter.

Mine had exactly the same symptoms drove 190 mile parked on the drive and then just a click when tried to restart.

Looked under the dash by the ignition and there are a number of plug like connections and these had worked loose.

Quick free fix which you may have already checked out but just my 10pence worth.

Regards

Alan

Mine had exactly the same symptoms drove 190 mile parked on the drive and then just a click when tried to restart.

Looked under the dash by the ignition and there are a number of plug like connections and these had worked loose.

Quick free fix which you may have already checked out but just my 10pence worth.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan. Mr RAC man checked that or at least I thought he did when I last went out in it and failed to start after filling up with fuel. Will have another look and have also booked it in with the guys who have just done the top end rebuild on the daily driver. They have always got some weird and wonderful air cooled VW stuff so will be confident they will be able to sort the fault if I can't. Also thinking about one of those hi-torque jobs to replace the old starter.

THE DAMAGE:

5a64a35e.jpg

eacd9de2.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

Those were the worst bits in terms of corrosion, but I wasn't prepared for the state of the rear quarters. The next photos show how I ended up with the widest and possibly heaviest Turbo in the world . . .

DSC01462.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

It was Guards Red once upon a time . . .

Pict0011.jpg

Edited by Tankman

Hiya Northy how's tricks?

How accurate is fairly? Have you had a chance to compare it with other meters?

Good thanks matey. That picture of your sill is almost identical to where mine has gone. I am currently putting off the inevitable of delving into it.

I've not done any scientific comparisons, but it measured within 1 or 2 db of the noise tester at Curborough. So I think it's close enough to get an idea of where you are and it's only £15. You can borrow mine if you like, I'll post it to you.

The engine rebuild as you know has just been done. The total body restoration was completed a couple of years ago. I had posted some of these photos in the bodywork section but as this is such a comprehensive job, I wanted to document it completely. This is the reason I started the thread.

Having an electrical mare at the moment need a new engine bay loom :cry:

I had not noticed you have no gutters.

Previous to my ownership of the car, the seamless look was incorporated into the main bodywork carried out after the armco incident. I love it! :D

Edited by Tankman

Nor me thats cool well train spotted TB ,you doing that on yours ?

If I had five hundred horse like Tank I would have been tempted.

I'm aiming at three, so no.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Never even noticed this part of the forum, i just click on the turbo section every time, I didn't realise there was a special place for us none stock idiots! Car is looking great, that's a lot of work!!!

I'm interested in exactly what spec your engine was/is in, it seams you've got head sealing rings in there, was everything in order with these when you stripped it down, did you have any broken piston rings? I'd love to know how they managed to safely fuel that engine for 1.4bar with a turbo that big. You must have had an extra fueler, either a device using the cold start injector or a 7th injector!?

Do you have the dyno sheet that shows your fuel curve from that WRC day? Would be great if you have fuel and boost!

When i was up at WRC not long after you guys, Chris showed me your graph, in fact he printed it off for me to take back to 9M with the crappy dyno pull of my "supposed" 500bhp 930. I didn't ask too see the boost and fuel graphs. As Chris still has the same dyno up in Northampton I wouldn't be surprised if he still has the file, he went straight to it when i was there so maybe he's kept it as a reference? It's an impressive run for a CIS car!

Do you know what tubo you have? It doesn't come on boost until 4000rpm so it is bigger than a K27, my guess is a K29 but it may even be bigger than that if you are making 510bhp at less than 1.0bar?

Also pleased you're taking it to Stu to get set up, it'll be magic when you get it back, i wouldn't be shocked to see that turbo start spooling 500rpm sooner, and make more power! Great work so far :)

It's an impressive run for a CIS car!

Do you know what tubo you have? It doesn't come on boost until 4000rpm so it is bigger than a K27, my guess is a K29 but it may even be bigger than that if you are making 510bhp at less than 1.0bar?

I am curious as well, its one of those cars that basically doesn't add up.

I am curious as well, its one of those cars that basically doesn't add up.

I think Allan afterwards said he thought something had been not quite right on the run, Tank might remember, but it was still a magic moment. 508 bhp LOL

I really don't remember as it was all a bit of a blur after the power curve shot off the top of the monitor screen. :o

Anyway, with all the skepticism that the car could actually pull those figures based upon the information there is for the modifications that have been carried out on the engine, I have to assume that both the 500+ dyno runs were flawed. I have no idea how the figures on the dyno were so far removed from what seems to be a realistic output from my car. Especially as everyone else on the day had a readout which was commensurate with their expectations. I was expecting around 350BHP, bearing in mind that the last 911PW article on the car had guestimated the output of the car at 380BHP. Having spoken at length to Stuart Paterson, he thinks that 380 - 400BHP should be a realistic figure to expect from the motor when it is properly set up.

I wonder if Chris at Linden can explain the improbable reading from the dyno run?