Tankman's Turbo

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep these are all historical (or hysterical if you look at the invoices). Yep they sprayed the struts blue, D'Oh!

New billies ALL round are still in storage, awaiting some geo read outs from Chris Franklin prior to taking decision on what to do there. Last time the car was checked (at Tuts), they seemed to think there was nothing wrong with the struts anyway.

Final colour is completely unique has it's own code at Glasurit and Sikkens.

I'm off now for some chocolate cake.

Bye

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst digging through dyno graphs for the 60-130 thread in the Impact Driver section, i came across this. This was when i went up to WRC in August 06 when i still had the 930 engine. My car was missing badly so it wasn't a great day, and it was one of those days that i realised that i'd been done by 9M. I was expecting to see just shy of 500bhp, and it wasn't even 400 on this run. Then they over lapped your graph on top of mine to show what 500 bhp looks like. Mine in red obviously.. Thought it was worth posting it here

ComparetoTankman.jpg

Just to say thank you for all who have posted thus far not only on this but all the other Gruppe IB threads. I know this will sound biaised, but the threads here are, to me, some of the most interesting stuff on IB. The Git, Varmint, Tripes Engine Transplant, Mr P and the Ark, Twinnys Turbo, The Orange etc etc never cease to amaze and inspire me. In fact, if it wasn't for this site and the nutjobs on here I am pretty sure that I would have given up by now. Every time I think "nearly there now my son" some other fookin great spanner ends up in the works. Case in point, my trip to Falkirk today. Around about Moffat on my way to Stu I thought to myself, "mmm getting mighty loud in here". Popped the passenger window down whilst running past an artic and worst fears confirmed. "If only I could redline it now it would sound just like a Kremer 935 down the Mulsanne straight". Instead, I kept the revs below 3500 and pottered into Stirlingshire hoping that I would not attract the attention of BIB.

In the garage last night fixing a couple of glaring problems mainly with the intercooler . . .

IMG_1177.jpg

This is the valve housing that would cost about £800+VAT or thereabouts to replace. I would only need to replace it because it supports the intercooler and the threaded hole in the casting that takes the bolt holding the intercooler in place has cracked and now disintegrated. Well it is over thirty years old. There was a makeshift bracket there which was fouling on the engine cover stay. A hammer, a hacksaw and a drill and some blood sweat and tears later . . .

(Marc has an Epiphany)

I shall rename this car, "Blood, Sweat, Tears and Money"

So other minor problems that were possibly contributing to the poor running of the car . . .

IMG_1179.jpg

No sealing ring allied to the wobbly intercooler caused by aforementioned bracket prior to modification means inconsistent and constantly changing mixture. Not good.

IMG_1186.jpg

Look at this b'stard T-piece of sorts with the unsecured yellow bung which was obviously just lying around when the pipework was modified. Those horrible red anodised hose clamps that eat into the rubber that they are supposed to be securing. And the nasty braided hoses which seem to be there for show and nothing else. Suffice to say, Samco blue silicone hoses with proper wide jubilee clips have now been installed by me of all people. Blast, forgot to get a picture last night. Still I was running out of time as the leccy windows decided to stop working in an open position. Great! Just as I am about to embark upon a 400 mile journey in sub-zero wind chill conditions with heat exchangers that tend to send fumes from the rapidly disintegrating exhaust rather than useable heat. After checking the wiring in the doors, I sprayed WD40 liberally over the plug in the wing that is a real pain to access and voila! Leccy windows are working again.

So, there I was sitting in the departure lounge, looking out to the West at a gorgeous burnt orange sun slowly sinking over the Trossachs, having driven Stuarts absolutely wonderfully set up 964 3.3 Turbo to the Airport, I reminisced on a rather eventful journey. The windows that worked last night were only at 50% efficiency. Passenger window fine, driver window not fine. M6 toll booth lady cast me a "you sad git in your mid-life crisis supercar that doesn't work properly" as I opened the door to hand my fiver to her over the top of the window frame. Windscreen wipers that suddenly developed a mind of their own and decided it was monsoon season. I knew there was a reason that I filled the washer bottle up last night. That act wasn't to keep the windscreen clean from spray on the motorway, oh no! The only reason I could have possibly decided that the water needed replenishing was to prevent the wipers from welding themselves to the windscreen whilst operating in overdrive on dry glass. Pull the fuse I thought, No. That would make no difference whatsoever. Of course! If the wipers have developed their own consciousness then surely they would have secured their own uninterruptable power source. As I walked out of the BP shop, snickers and lucozade in hand, I caught a glimpse of WD40 on the shelf.

AHA!

Oh NO! Car emptied last night means hand in pocket and stump up yet more cash to try to put things right again. After purchasing said lubricant and water displacer, I sprayed liberally around the switch at the end of the wiper stalk in the vain hope that it would dislodge the years of crud accumulated on the contacts and prevent the presumed arcing that was causing the random and frenetic operation of my previously underused wiper arms. Perhaps they were staging a "Wipe-In"? A protest at hardly ever being out when it is raining and always being abused against fly squash.

Then of course, my thoughts turned to the problem with the exhaust. It is terminal. Stuart will patch it up to enable him to complete the installation of the metering and datalogging kit from Zietronix and set the car up with balanced fuel output and extra fuelling from the modified warm up regulator. However, I need a new exhaust system.

It never rains, and when it does, you can bet that my wipers won't work.

+1 with the nightmare bit,

You'll get it all sorted eventually no doubt.

Regarding the wipers, mine burst into action at the weekend without me touching them, then they randomly parked in different places on the screen and then re-started, I had to jiggle the stalk a lot to get them to stop, so another job on the list, at least it's a small one.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, some evidence of fuelling mods.

"Control pressure flow rate should be 240 ml per 1 min at top of spec and yours sees 300ml!!....think you may have modified meter head. I think imagine auto in states used to do them...my car flowed 230 as way of comparison"

quote from stup recently

New injectors on their way as some of the spray patterns were flying off at strange angles.

Edited by Tankman

That is a LOT more fuel, the IA head is supposed to give as much as 20% more. Did Stu say what your system pressure is? I have a stock Euro fuel head in the garage if you need it? I actually have the whole metering assembly if Stu thinks it's a good idea...

I would think with the adjustable WUR he will be able to get your fuel in line whatever it's flowing, that's the beauty of the mod. Also you will know you have lots of fuel in the bag if you ever want to run more boost.

Have you got a date yet for completion? Looking forward to seeing it finished

Stuart is still working part time and he is trying to finalise details on the industrial unit to enable him to start his craft full time. Bearing in mind that he will need to spend some time with laptop and AFR readouts in real world driving as well as some Dyno time to get the set up spot on, we are hoping for the end of this month.

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard from Stuart, K27 7006 fitted to my car. That's the unit fitted to the 3.6 Turbo 964. Spools up later than the standard unit, but pulls much stronger at the top of the rev range.

The puzzle begins to unravel . . .

What have you decided to do with the exhaust? You mentioned that it's on its last legs, wondering if you'd got something sorted? With all the work getting the fueling spot on, it would make sense to get it now, as a better flowing exhaust system could alter the fueling if you were to do it later. At least you can make the fine adjustments yourself with the adjustable WUR, so it's no big deal, but would be good for Stu to dial it in spot on whist he has it.

Any closer to a finish date? Bet you can't wait to pick it up!

Fair play to Stuart, he knows a good welder who took the worst parts of my exhaust and repaired them to an exceptionally high standard. Stuart sent some photos of him running an extended wire brush down the pipework to ensure that it was clean inside. So, with the new injectors fitted Stuart checked fuel output from each injector and single output per injection were within 3% of each other which is as good as it gets. The Zietronix kit is installed and the engine fired up on the first turn of the key after the initial adjustments. Now the work starts on the fine tuning.

Stuart has a target of completion for the end of the month. If that extends into the first week of April then that will be the latest I would like to see the work completed, so fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly from now on.

Dont rush Stu Tankman....my car was with him a good while and he did a fantastic job.

trying my hardest not to, but when I think how little I have been able to use the car in all the years I've had it, now I am so close to having it on the road I can't help being enthusiastic about getting it back. Sorry Stu, don't want you to feel you are under pressure, tell me if I'm being pushy.

I share your pain Tank,sometimes you think this just isnt worth it.Hopefully we can share a grin & a pint together if we ever get these old dogs back on the road.

One pint? I rather feel making a weekend of it going out for a blast on some good roads in Wales, Scotland or France, staying in a half decent hostelry with good beer and wine so we can toast each other and our cars till we fall over or

fall asleep.