Michael's RSR.

Michael

How would you like your 69 911 T?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want to thank John for the private forum to share our car experiences.

Since this is a private forum I will share some of the pitfalls to wide body building.

Seems all builds take longer and cost more than expected, such was the case with the RSR.

Hindsight being clear some of those delays and additional costs may have been avoidable.

I hope reading about my experiences will save you time and money.

Developing this car was a team effort.

I am not a mech, a body man or a welder so I got help.

Welcome, over the last 7 years I have been trying to get more performance from my 69 911.

At the same time my interest in track events was helping to guide the build.

My car was modified as the events I entered required.

From AX, then DE, on to Time Trail then progressing to Wheel to Wheel racing.

The car has always remained dual purpose, street and track legal.

My interests now have turned to more street touring and occasional weekend track events around California.

Now I'm looking forward to enjoying more of the great back roads with my hot rod buddies.

Please do ask questions, meanwhile I will include construction photos of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Building a wide body can be difficult, expensive and time consuming.

Yes my project had some low moments but I'd like to share those in a matter of fact way and skip the bitterness.

As I said this 911 has had 3 wide bodies installed.

Over time I'll add small bits but I'd be happy to answer any questions at anytime.

To start the thread a photo of each, the RS starter car and the 3 wide bodies that followed.

Please do ask questions and I will try to answer with construction photos and details.

cheers.

post-3241-1256479606_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1256479631_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1256479691_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1256479719_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read many of your PP posts Michael, perhaps you could post some links so people can see the development of the car?

Good luck with the new mission of taming things down a bit and its good to see you over here on IB.

Read many of your PP posts Michael, perhaps you could post some links so people can see the development of the car?

Good luck with the new mission of taming things down a bit and its good to see you over here on IB.

Good idea save the IB site some bandwidth.

Long read but mechanically it's all there.

Basic over built n/v 3.6, close ratio 915, turbo brakes, 935 suspension.

Rim widths 11 and 13/14.

Link to build specs, my screen name is Ted.

No detailed photos of the Black car as TRE Dave is doing the final RSR sorting.

Dave tested the RSR over Mulholland Drive yesterday.

He happens to be the event planner for an awesome tarmac rally called the Targa California.

Dave knows Porsches and he knows the TC roads, that's why I asked him to do the RSR.

Check the links above for engine/interior shots.

Some fun in car track video in there too.

The RSR should be home soon, then I can take/post photos.

Hit me again if I answer something incompletely.

post-3241-1256520679_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1256520691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael

Coolest interior ever - it even has a beer cooler:

I did leave this in the RSR, yes on certain drives it might hold a beer or two.

Where I really need it is at the track, this device helps old people race longer.

I've followed your threads on PP as well Michael,

I love to see really technical engineering stuff done to cars, great stuff.

We had fun building it, lap times confirmed we had made some good choices.

I know you track at Willow a lot is it a tight twisty circuit ? whats it geared up to ?

WSIR is an hour north of Los Angeles.

It has two tracks we use often.

Big Willow is the high speed track and right next to it is Streets of Willow.

I like them both, Big is better for w2w racing.

But I prefer Streets for practicing car control with all the lower speed 2nd/3rd gear corners.

This is a video of Streets or SOW (streets of willow).

th_RolandSOW_0001a.jpg

As for gearing I have been thrilled with my WEVO prepped 915.

Take a listen to the in car from Buttonwillow raceway, my favorite track.

From the sound of it seems the gearing is keeping the motor in the power band.

th_Buttonwillowtimedlap.jpg

post-3241-1256563740_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1256563751_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1256563810_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael

Hey Mike

I also followed your threads on PP... Great car!!!!

I like the 74/75 RSR kit best.... Black and gold looks OK (reminds me of a 911 slot car scalextric set I used to have) for now but I will have to be a jelly bean colour.

I am biased to Mexico Blue for a 74/75.

The colour itself is becoming popular again. There were rumours Porsche was going to re-introduce it as a special wish colour on the 997 GT3 RS mkII but then decided not to.

I find it modern and yet it fits with the RSR image.

Green (like the car in the pic John posted on the other thread) is also fantastic. It's fresh and looks good even if it is not superclean.

I also like the 74/75 RSRs in Guards red.

Lovely car anyway! Please keep the updates/pics coming!!!

Just watched the video, though a good sound the most impressive part was the 'baby mess and blanket' handling that came to mind and struck me.

Very nice.

Regards

Jammo. ;)

Just watched the video, though a good sound the most impressive part was the 'baby mess and blanket' handling that came to mind and struck me.

Very nice.

Regards

Jammo. ;)

What struck me was the different lines through a couple of the bends and how one seemed to be faster than the other. Could be the following car holding back of course....

• 3 weeks later...
What struck me was the different lines through a couple of the bends

My longtime buddy Roland was in front I was just filling his mirrors, owned. :flag:;)

Got the rims and tires ready to mock up.

Front rims are 1.5 inches offset too far outside, Harvery Wiedman will fix that.

At the same time add some better condition donor 15x6 lips.

The Avon (pronounced Avun) slicks came folded?

Here are the guys trying to get a rear slick unfolded.

Click on the slick for the slideshow.

th_avuns.jpg

Still more to do...

A photo with the TB tires, the fronts were too tall?

So they were replaced with the Avons. :D

post-3241-1257912552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michael

• 1 month later...
Micheal - could you try to get some bigger tyres next time? .

Richard finding the right tires was a bit of trial and error.

The Michelin TBs are awesome tires but they were not right for my 15" fuchs.

The TB front was too tall the rear just a little small for the 14” wide rims.

After mocking them up it was obvious they did not look right on the car.

6 months after I had purchased them I called the my TB supplier and told them my situation.

They agree to take back the tires with a 10% restocking fee crediting my account with $2200. Whew.

Photo of the TBs.

post-3241-1261927855_thumb.jpg

So I then did what any of us would …

I ordered a set of almost as expensive Avons, they fit perfectly.

Although not street legal they will do fine for limited drives, shows and track days.

post-3241-1261927617_thumb.jpg

The Avons will be hand grooved in a this vintage pattern.

post-3241-1261928103_thumb.jpg

The last major hurdle will be to have the front rim offset moved 1" negative.

In the photos above the front rim has almost an 1" clearance from the coil spring to the rim.

Harvey Wiedman in California is a great guy for wheel restoration and modifications.

With tire grooving and front rim work remaining the 15" fuchs should be ready late summer.

The rear of the car was sitting a little low and the rear coil overs were maxed on the up adjustment.

The rake was flat and the back looked a little low.

post-3241-1261933892_thumb.jpg

I decided to pick up the car and bring it home to test drive it and get a good look at it.

On the way home (LA to San Diego) with the car in the trailer I stopped to visit friends in Surf City USA (Huntington Beach).

We unloaded the RSR, it was great fun to finally drive the RSR down to Hunington pier for a beer and a sandwich.

We cruised Pacific Coast Hwy along my old stomping grounds, great fun but no place to really get on it.

I was pleased the satin black RSR went mostly unnoticed by commuters sharing the road.

My rider John was a bit crazy as I drove it like a priest short shifting everywhere.

To John's dismay the 3.6 could pull 5th gear at 25mph without hesitation.

Back at home I took it out for long drive in the east San Diego hills.

The rear was too low, the JRZ rear double adjustable shocks were still set for my 800lb springs,

Since we had installed softer 400 springs for the street the rear lacked real suspension travel.

I was not ready to soften the rear JRZ shocks for fear of a tire to fender strike.

I also was not thrilled with the shock valveing on the front Bilsteins (160/161).

They too seemed too stiff with my front 250lb springs.

I started to look for an adjustable shock for the front Bilsteins.

I got lucky as a friend of mine had bought a stock class 911 race car that had stock spec double adjustable JRZ front struts.

It was a good trade he wanted my race spec JRZ struts and I got his stock JRZ struts.

It was time to go back to TRE for some final sorting.

My buddy Cary at ERP said he could order some trick rear JRZ parts to raise the car and not loose any droop.

Droop being how far can the shock extend before it hits it’s stop.

The parts were ordered from the Netherlands and took over a month to arrive.

When they arrived we were relieved to find they worked perfectly.

post-3241-1261933648_thumb.jpg

During the rear shock parts delay TRE installed my new stock spec double adjustable JRZ struts.

It should not of been really any surprise to find once installed we found the new JRZ struts had -2 camber designed into the spindle.

Would appear some stock spec racer must have had some cheater de-cambered JRZ struts.

Still we were happy the 15" fuch fit on the new struts.

So the lower control arms came off again and were machined a little shorter (again) to get the camber back to 0.

post-3241-1261933175_thumb.jpg

While the RSR was at TRE waiting for the rear shock parts an onboard fire extinguisher system was installed with nozzles over the gas tank, engine and one each for the driver and rider.

post-3241-1261933246_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1261933346_thumb.jpg

post-3241-1261933404_thumb.jpg

Dave at TRE also had a good used set of BB SS header/heaters that he fit to the car with a demister too.

post-3241-1261933458_thumb.jpg

I’m scheduled to pick it up New Years Day and participate in the TRE New Years run. :)