3.2 MAF Conversion

Nice one! Do you want to try it on mine this weekend?

Thanks - probably best wait until next W/E though as we're also doing a small upgrade to the controller, this should be ready by then as well.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made good progress with MAF kit over the last week - we've made a couple more upgrades to the software and a small change to the circuit to fix an intermittent start fault. I've had the kit on my car for the last week and used it for the daily drive to and from work - all working well over another 100miles or so.

Had another go at fitting the kit to Tim's targa today, the good news is it now fits twin gas strut engine bays. It takes ~20mins to remove the VFM and fit the MAF kit:

IMG_5732.jpg

The end of the air filter is ~10mm clear of the right gas strut, I might see if I can increase the clearance a little more just to be sure:

IMG_5735.jpg

It started and ran smoothly straight away - we've done ~25miles in it today and it goes well, sounds great too. It's good to seeing it working well on another car:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I had to take a few more pictures as we had more than one IB in the same place !

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

I've finished designing the aluminium support bracket and had the first one laser cut yesterday - should get this back next week.

Next job is to downsize the electrics and controller - we should be able to reduce the size of the box by ~50%. Once this is done I'll get the first batch of circuit boards manufactured.

It's my Targa that Matt fitted his kit to today. My seat of the pants dyno says it's quicker, it seems to hit 7K rpm easier! The plan is to stick it on a rolling road, hopefully next weekend and see if it's my imagination or not.....

Subjectively it's hard to tell if it's any quicker atm, but it makes a lovely noise!

Edited by tim s

Yes please, when can I order ;):)

Hopefully not too long now....I reckon I'm still ~3 months away from having kits ready for sale, there's still quite a bit of productionising to do with the electronics. I'd also like to get ~1000 miles done on a kit so I know it's robust.

I want to order one aswell if you can ship to the US.

Shouldn't be a problem - K&N filters are quite a bit cheaper in the US so I'll work out a price less filter and you can source this yourself if you want, it'll also save on shipping.

Edited by MaxDiesel

Hopefully not too long now....I reckon I'm still ~3 months away from having kits ready for sale, there's still quite a bit of productionising to do with the electronics. I'd also like to get ~1000 miles done on a kit so I know it's robust.

Shouldn't be a problem - K&N filters are quite a bit cheaper in the US so I'll work out a price less filter and you can source this yourself if you want, it'll also save on shipping.

great skills indeed, have been looking at the gekkatec but much rather keep the money in the uk and even better in the ib community, would be keen to get on the growing order list too.

also, if you need another test car, i'm free for guinea pigging.

raoul

Following this thread has been like watching a creative genius at work! Can't wait for full driving impressions and dyno results. BTW, the strut on Tims Targa has a non-standard nut and bolt fixing - the standard pin and clip would give a bit more clearance.

Made a little more progress with the MAF kit this week, I got the support bracket drawn up and had the first sample CNC waterjet cut from 3mm aluminium:

DSC01017.jpg

Proto bracket on the left, final version on the right:

DSC01018.jpg

Fitted on the MAF assembly:

DSC01021.jpg

It currently attaches to the lower air filter mounting rubber on the inlet. The rubber mount allows the filter to move a little but also isolates it nicely - I'm going to see how this works out, I may extend the bracket and go for a solid mount to the manifold.

DSC01022.jpg

We also made up a 3rd prototype controller circuit this week to test the final components that'll go onto the production PCBs - tested this out last night and all works well. Next step is to finish the PCB design and get a batch printed.

Good work Matt, brackets look better in black IMHO.

Thanks - I'd been thinking about this myself.... I'm planning to get the tube adapter and bracket anodised so they don't go furry over time. I'm still trying to decide whether to go for clear, black or gold (to match the zinc plated parts) anodise - any preferences ? I guess black will make it all look more like OE parts.

Thanks - I'd been thinking about this myself.... I'm planning to get the tube adapter and bracket anodised so they don't go furry over time. I'm still trying to decide whether to go for clear, black or gold (to match the zinc plated parts) anodise - any preferences ? I guess black will make it all look more like OE parts.

I'd say black, everyone has 'some' black in the engine compartment, other colours maybe but maybe not, could always do a few as options I suppose?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on the dyno today, after a false start at another dyno that gave terrible results due to the dyno not working properly. Matt will post up the graphs later as he can explain them.

252hp anybody? :-) :-)

Edited by tim s

Cool, Matt thinks I've got more to come at the top end with a remap....

:)

I'm booked in for a remap in 7 weeks time... boy could I do with one of these MAF's...

That sounds like a great result.

I think we need a full debreif of the before and after.

Looking forward to hearing this as I now have some BLM money to spend on upgrades. :huh:

I've been on the dyno today, after a false start at another dyno that gave terrible results. Matt will post up the graphs later as he can explain them.

Nice result Tim, what was it before?

I've been on the dyno today, after a false start at another dyno that gave terrible results. Matt will post up the graphs later as he can explain them.

Just got back from a long day up in our Midlands office.... its good to see you got some decent data this time around Tim!

I've not had a chance to analyse the full data set but here are Tim's screen plots:

Original VFM:

scan0004.jpg

MAF kit:

scan0001.jpg

Not the quite the big leap I was hoping we might see ! But for a first check of the full load calibration of the MAF controller I'm pretty happy so see how its working.

Initial thoughts:

- Need to bear in mind all these runs are done with a Wong chip set to give optimum ~0.88 Lambda with sports pre-muffler (as Tim's car)

- It looks like we need to update the MAF calibration between 2000 and 5200rpm - at 0.78 Lambda (~12:1 AFR) its running about 0.1 Lambda richer than optimum for a non turbo - this is straight forward and should improve the low end & mid range torque

- The MAF kit is definitely allowing more airflow (as planned !) at high rpms where the Lambda values increase versus the VFM - because the Motronic system is in open loop fuelling at these speeds (i.e. the VFM or MAF value isn't used) an update the engine calibration will be needed to correct this (If all goes to plan I'll be able to do this as well soon :whistling: ) - this should maximise the MAF airflow benefit and give a few more bhp.

Ironically the standard Porsche chip would should much bigger gains with the MAF as its set conservatively rich at high speed (~0.78 Lambda) - the MAF kit should drop this nicely into the ~0.85 to 0.9 sweet spot and give a much more signifcant bhp increase (i.e. 10bhp +).

I'll have a proper look at the detail data over the next couple of days and see if there any other key things to learn.

Next steps will be a MAF cal update and a re-test, might even be worth trying to do some live mapping of the MAF cal...

Edited by MaxDiesel

• 1 month later...

Hi max, as its been quiet on this front for some time, just curious if you have had a cjance to work on the MAF

Regards