911SC - A486 YOM - anyone seen it?

Phil Raby

Suddenly had an urge to find out what happened to my first 911 - a 1982 SC, reg A486 YOM. I sold it in, I think, 2001 to some brothers in Northern Ireland. They later got in touch to say they'd had to sell it again for financial reasons and I think it came back to England.

If anyone knows of its whereabouts (I'm hoping it still exists), I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Raby

Remember though very many of the cars that go from Mainland UK to N.Ireland end up coming down to Mexico (south of the border into the republic of Ireland) and therefore there will be no record of the U.K. reg with your DVLA.

Phil, if you'd like to give some more specific details of the car, colour, unusual mods, wheels, spec's etc. there are very few in Ireland and virtually none within the P.C.I. that I don't know. If you had the vin we could even cross reference it with the P.C.I. members/cars register.

There is a very good chance it could be down here now if you sent it to N.I.

Regards

John Phelan.

Edited by Whippy930

Remember though very many of the cars that go from Mainland UK to N.Ireland end up coming down to Mexico (south of the border into the republic of Ireland) and therefore there will be no record of the U.K. reg with your DVLA.

Phil, if you'd like to give some more specific details of the car, colour, unusual mods, wheels, spec's etc. there are very few in Ireland and virtually none within the P.C.I. that I don't know. If you had the vin we could even cross reference it with the P.C.I. members/cars register.

There is a very good chance it could be down here now if you sent it to N.I.

Regards

John Phelan.

Thanks, John. I have a feeling it came back to the UK but I could be wrong.

It was a 1983 car (not 82 - my brain's going) in Pewter Metallic with a blue Berber interior. All standard apart from a Turbo rear spoiler (ie teatray not whaletail) and a 'Carrera' badge and red front seatbelts (neither of which I was responsible for!).

When I bought it, the car had had 11 previous owners, and numberplates had included A911VAB, A502MEA, KEL52E and A13JAB.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks, John. I have a feeling it came back to the UK but I could be wrong.

It was a 1983 car (not 82 - my brain's going) in Pewter Metallic with a blue Berber interior. All standard apart from a Turbo rear spoiler (ie teatray not whaletail) and a 'Carrera' badge and red front seatbelts (neither of which I was responsible for!).

When I bought it, the car had had 11 previous owners, and numberplates had included A911VAB, A502MEA, KEL52E and A13JAB.

Cheers

Phil

Wow... No missing that one so.... Bad news is unless its been heavily modded like a "Clarke & Carter" type 964 restyle or something, it ain't one I've ever come across down these parts.... Your search continues...

Regards

John.

Wow... No missing that one so.... Bad news is unless its been heavily modded like a "Clarke & Carter" type 964 restyle or something, it ain't one I've ever come across down these parts.... Your search continues...

Regards

John.

Thanks, it's not appearing on the DVLA database so it looks like it's gone. Next thing is to find out why and when. Car was basically sound and had a lovely engine and gearbox, so that suggests accident damage.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
Suddenly had an urge to find out what happened to my first 911 - a 1982 SC, reg A486 YOM. I sold it in, I think, 2001 to some brothers in Northern Ireland. They later got in touch to say they'd had to sell it again for financial reasons and I think it came back to England.

If anyone knows of its whereabouts (I'm hoping it still exists), I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil

I have it, I have A486 YOM and NO it has not been heavily mudded like Clarke & Carter" type 964 restyle or something, it’s not off to that scrap yard in the sky or is it off to Mexico. Probably the reason why no one could find YOM’ is, the reg has changed again!

I would like to tell you the car is alive and kicking but...it’s not quite in the same state as you sold it!!!

The story goes like this...

As probably like every other 911 owner I wanted to have one since as long as I can remember

I was a regular reader (dreamer) of 911pw in the late nineties keeping a keen eye on 911 prices when the YOM project came along. Having followed it for the duration I was gutted to see it was up for sale and had been bought almost immediately by someone from Northern Ireland.

After only seven or eight months the car was up for sale again, I responded quickly this time and after lengthy discussion on the phone about the condition of the car, a cheap flight was booked, Had a good look and the car was mine.

After about five years of the 911 experience I took it off the road for the restoration, front wings, B’ post repair ,paint and whatever else was needed. Due to other commitments this was put off until Nov 2008. When I stripped the car down to a rolling shell, after further investigation things got worse, more was needing done than I thought (I’ll bet this sounds familiar) I then decided to sell, to no avail (as usual I thought it was worth more.. especially with engine and gearbox only covering about 7k since rebuild) anyway due to peer pressure I decided to get on with it.

The state of the car is now very different to what you remember Phil, it is now a bare shell that has been stripped of its front and rear wings, inner and outer sills, a few holes here and there, bead blasted (with not a hint of the dreaded rust or under seal) and has been etched primed waiting until I give it one more estimate after the new year. Then I will decide if it’s a goer or destined for the parts for sale column. Heart ruling the head and all that.

Well I hope this has not been to long winded Phil (I just needed to get it off my chest) and has satisfied urge to find out what has happened to YOM, hopefully if you keep posted after the year you will hear if it’s a goer or in the parts for sale columns, or maybe a magazine?

Regards,

Stevie.

Hi Stevie

Wow! That's really made my day. Thanks for taking the time to post.

It's always the way when you start stripping down a car - there's more rust that you'd expect. However, when I had the car it seemed pretty sound - especially the B posts, although I remember the front wings had the usual bubbles.

Please, please don't break it for spares. Let me know if you decide to sell!

The engine was really sweet and I bet it's got better with a few miles under its belt.

Whereabouts are you? It'd be great to see the car again, even if it is in pieces.

Cheers

Phil

Yay :ani_clapping:

What a wonderful story,,,,, man meets old car after long search, you can see the headlines now.

Excellent result. :signs118:

Good luck on your quest.

Regards

Jammo. ;)

Excellent! well done fellas.

Did any of you read that Jay Leno piece in Octane about looking for the XK120 he admired as a kid? A bit like meeting a hero I guess. It was a good read.

I'm sure there's an article for you there Phil ;)

Hi Stevie

Wow! That's really made my day. Thanks for taking the time to post.

It's always the way when you start stripping down a car - there's more rust that you'd expect. However, when I had the car it seemed pretty sound - especially the B posts, although I remember the front wings had the usual bubbles.

Please, please don't break it for spares. Let me know if you decide to sell!

The engine was really sweet and I bet it's got better with a few miles under its belt.

Whereabouts are you? It'd be great to see the car again, even if it is in pieces.

Cheers

Phil

Hi phil,

I read your post about a week ago but never had the time to reply until now, glad to hear it's made your day.

The car never looked near as bad as it did before I stripped it down,as you say it looked pretty sound but as with many others I have read about in these posts it's looks like it's always gonna be the case.

When I first bought the car it was always my intention to write to 911pw just to let everyone know what happened to the car but never got round to it.

I think I covered only about 4 to 5k miles in the car and the engine was excellent,it was so responsive and just kept pulling right through the rev range,compared to others I had test run before, in fact mechanicaly, the car was excellent apart from a sticking front caliperthat I never got round to fixing.

I live in Longniddry a village 10 mles east of Edinburgh, hopefully the project will go ahead (if the price is right)but may never be anything else than parts if it's not a goer I afraid so... watch this space

Stevie.

Sounds repairable to me Stevie, hope you take it on.

Yes it's repairable,no doubt about that...it's more of where the money is coming from to repair it, unless you are my long lost wealthy cousin from down south John?

Stevie GLYNN

• 2 months later...

Sadly, but quite understandably, the new owner, Martin, is getting the car for the best bits - the engine and gearbox - and won't be rebuilding. The logical thing to do when you look at the bare bodyshell!