Another SC sill corrosion thread!

Are you suggesting the cars in such a state that I'm working on it with it lying on its roof!!!!! :blink:

Your car Is on It's wheels, but you are hanging upside down from your garage roof In a harness with the both garage doors open In a strong wind? :unsure:

I think I have It now...Thanks.

So It would be possible to drill the kidney with a 5mm drill, and In doing so fill through that big hole Into the chassis then pull back and fill the kidney also, then plug the 5mm hole. Anyone done that?

It would be a winter job to allow the smell to retreat a little.

Your car Is on It's wheels, but you are hanging upside down from your garage roof In a harness with the both garage doors open In a strong wind? :unsure:

I think I have It now...Thanks.

So It would be possible to drill the kidney with a 5mm drill, and In doing so fill through that big hole Into the chassis then pull back and fill the kidney also, then plug the 5mm hole. Anyone done that?

It would be a winter job to allow the smell to retreat a little.

you dont need to go in through the kidney you can get to it via torsion bar cover bolt holes and inside under the carpet on the front of the wheel well

In fact there is a drain hole at the botttom of the kidney bowl, its pressed into the flange that sits flush with the inner wing. Well there was on mine which was next to a even bigger drain hole that un-drained water decided to make.

are these same handy drain holes also present on a 3.2 ?

Got my gallons of dinitrol etc last week so will be jumping on this task soon. I take it i spray the cavity wax into them or should i be heating the heavier duty underbody wax and getting that into these hidden spaces ?

Dunno, one of the cavity ones I think its like water, good penetration into all the nooks and crannies but will find its way onto the floor. I think the underbody one is much thicker but obviously doesn't creep like the cavity one.

i was thinking of the drain hole at the bottom of the kidney bowl too nige. mine has this, i don't know if the earlier type kidneys have these holes there though. it is JUST big enough to fit a dynax s-50 lance into. then wax the hell out of the inside of the kidney.

Checked mine over - I don't see a plug on the 79 one ' but will look gain - inject thru' the torsion bar covers seems to be a good idea - is there any path for leakage internally into the side sills?

Its not a plug as such, more like a pressing in the flanged part of the kidney bowl that's spot welded to the car.

If you look a bit closer, you will see that there is one of those pressings at the top of the kidney, too.

Welded up the internals today with some patches I had fabricated for the bottom of the kidney and the jacking point , really chuffed with the result so far. Need a little clean up and some treating/painting before I start work on the sill and door shut.

P1020978.jpg

I'm really quite enjoying it, great sense of acheivement doing it yourself instead of paying someone to do it for you :D