Impact Bumpers
Brummie

Brummie's G50-into-an-SC transplant

Gorgeous work :)

Nothing like the sound of welding nice thick steel together and very satisfying to achieve a nice bead like that :) Lovely stuff.

Thanks everyone.....

You're right Mr Tebbs, there is something very satisfying about fusing two pieces of metal together.

Here are a couple of photos of the 993 gear changer..... I've measured it up and it looks like it will just about fit inside the tunnel.

I'll need to fabricate a support for the central sliding tube and a bracket for the front ball joint but other than that it should fit.

post-4202-1273524962_thumb.jpg post-4202-1273524988_thumb.jpg

Good work Brummie, very inventive.

What's your day job, are you an engineer or something.

Good work Brummie, very inventive.

What's your day job, are you an engineer or something.

You're right Mr S, I'm a machine tool engineer.

Awesome project Brummie. A mate of a mate in the south of france road rallies a 2.7RS rep with a 993 engine in the back. I'm sure it runs a 5 speed box though. But then he also rallies a Citroen Taction Avant with a DS21 engine and box. They really bend the rules over there. Or should I say what rules.

Things have been a bit slow over the last few months but I have sorted a number of niggly problems out........ and get a few jobs done.

Found a complete 3.2 Carrera pedal box which just needed a quick clean up and fettle. Fitted some new bushes and seals, gave it a nice coat of two pack epoxy paint and

its ready to go. I've new pipework to fit running between the clutch master cylinder and the slave.

post-4202-1281391483_thumb.jpg

Adapted a standard 915 gearbox speed sensor plate to fit on the outside of one of the drive shafts, also made a housing to hold the speed sensor so it just needs a bracket to

position it in place which I'll make once the gearbox is assembled into the car.

post-4202-1281391688_thumb.jpg

Welded the torsion bar fabrication into the car and reinforced it with 2 and 3mm plates. Only have the use of a small mig set for home use but pleased with the way it all turned out,

this part of the project has always been a worry but it's now tied everything back together and is immensley strong..... I'll be adding a few more plates to strengthen the areas around

the seat rails as the seat belt points are going to be mounted to the actual seat as opposed to the center tunnel. Mounting the seat belts to the seats means the seat fixings need to be

increased from M6 bolts to M8 and the areas around the mounts reinforced.

post-4202-1281391989_thumb.jpgpost-4202-1281392047_thumb.jpg

post-4202-1281392077_thumb.jpg

Fitted a 993 gear lever mechanism with a couple of brackets and a little chopping out of the ceter tunnel. This fits without too much modification though the front pivot point

which mounts to the front baulkhead will be awkward to adjust or replace.

Fabricated a frame to fit on top of the existing center tunnel, this will accommodate the gear lever and handbrake and also allow the center console from a 993 to fit. It will finally all

get panneled in with thin plate and trimmed. The frame will be welded in to add extra strength to the floorpan and torsion bar fab.

post-4202-1281392418_thumb.jpg

post-4202-1281392951_thumb.jpg

post-4202-1281393318_thumb.jpg

I'm making a new rear baulkhead which will also manage the handbrake cables, wiring loom, and clutch line etc, it also gives the clearance needed to clear the top of the gearbox.

post-4202-1281393678_thumb.jpg

I'll make something from thin plate to fill in the exposed areas around the tunnel top and rear seating area.....

Excellent work Brummie and all looking very neat and tidy as well. :signs118:

Did you finish this Brummie? Be interested to see an update.

Did you finish this Brummie? Be interested to see an update.

Update :

.... Been taking a break over the winter Northy, just too cold to be working outside... Also hit a few problems with the flywheel which halted progress for a while..... I'd intended to modify the flywheels overall thickness by 10mm in order for the clutch to fit the shortened gearbox, however I didn't realise the back of the flywheel was relieved to the extent that it is, this means thinning the front face is simply not possible as it would fall apart.

I've looked at lots of different options but the only one that makes sence is to get a flywheel made. I found plenty of companys able to do this but the quotes were just staggering, so after talking to a few people and a quick check on the bank balance my mind got made up for me and decided to make one. I must say a big thanks to my brother Andrew and a couple of his work collegues Bob and Spencer for helping out with this, without them it would not have been possible.

To begin with the flywheel was measured all over with a CMM machine, this accurately measured and analysed all the dimensions of the original flywheel to create a detailed report. Then with a CNC machine and some modelling software we were able to input that data and create a machining program which would produce an exact replica with the modifications to the thickness. To prove the program a mock up from wood was made as mistakes would be easier to correct at this stage. After completing the mock up it was checked and fitted to the engine where all the clearances could be measured, it was even possible to fit the clutch to check the gearbox clearence.....

post-4202-1301585879_thumb.jpg

everything looked good so an EN8 billet was ordered and a steel one produced. The final stage was to grind it all over to the finished sizes before getting it balanced along with the clutch.

post-4202-1301590509_thumb.jpg post-4202-1301586053_thumb.jpg

One of the most time consuming jobs has been modifying the oil system, I'm using a 964 tank, thermostat and remote filter housing along with an oil cooler from a 3.2 carrera up front with an electric fan. A thermostat switch fitted between the cooler matrix controls the switching of the fan, this automatically operates between 180 / 190 degrees c. Various brackets were made in order to mount the radiator and fan to the bodywork along with a top fixing mounted to the back of the headlamp bowl.

The 964 oil tank has been awkward as the 911 inner body panels are not the same as on a 964. Space is minimal and there are no mounting points or brackets for reference so its a case of trying to mount everything up in place before tacking brackets on to get the best position. I wanted to keep the thermostat as high as possible just fiting in under the torsion bar extension and between the bodywork so as not to be seen from the side of the car. I welded on a mounting bracket to bolt the thermostat to, this kept it in position and allowed the tank to find its own position once the hoses were connected. When the side sills are fitted the drain plug and the lower edge of the housing are the only areas of the thermostat now visible.

post-4202-1301587081_thumb.jpgpost-4202-1301586633_thumb.jpg

The brass oil pipes which run down the side of the car to the oil radiator had to be shortened and modified, I was hoping it was just a case of buying a couple of fittings but Porsche use an unusual thread size, they're French Gaz 30 with a ball type seating, Porsche don't supply these individually and hydraulic suppliers look at you as though you're talking another language. Having had no luck finding thread adaptors I ended up chopping the ends off the old SC trombone oil cooler and tig welding them to the ends of oil pipes with a sleeve, turned out pretty neat in the end. I did a similar thing with the fittings on the oil filter and outlet pipe from the engine.

post-4202-1301586696_thumb.jpg post-4202-1301587942_thumb.jpg

The 964 filter housing I mounted to a plate along with the filler neck, this fits in the space where the old SC oil tank was. The filler neck is from an old petrol tank which has been cut down and welded to the plate, this is then feeding the oil tank via a 28mm stainless steel pipe bent and welded to shape running inside the wheelarch. I've used a standard 964 dipstick and sleeve which fits in just below the right hand engine lid hinge.... keeping this original should make for correct oil level filling. With a combination of standard 964 and 993 oil pipes connecting up the engine was straight forward and worked out quite well. The only non standard pipes are the oil tank filler and the crossover pipe which runs from the far side of the engine back over to the oil filter. Patrick Motorsport made up a 28mm bore stainless braided hose for this. The three engine breather pipes will get connected to the oil tank via a baulkhead plate mounted on the inside of the rear wheel arch, these are 28mm, 25mm and 13mm.The oil level sender for the tank has also been replaced as the old one fell apart when I tried to take it out.

post-4202-1301586786_thumb.jpg post-4202-1301586869_thumb.jpg

post-4202-1301589603_thumb.jpg post-4202-1301589084_thumb.jpg

I'm currently sorting out the fuel and brake lines as these were in a pretty sorry state, I'm taking the oppertunity of relocating them for easier access.

Bloody hell, it was worth the wait!

Great stuff, it's really interesting reading so keep the updates coming. :signs118:

:ani_clapping: Fantastic project, I look forward to the next installment

Cracking job, well impressed keep the updates coming please.

Amazing.............

Haway the brummie! - sterling work young man!

I'm busy with those very oil pipes & tank on the Mrs 964 - not much room round there eh. I've also had to get a couple of custom lines made to get the Vram engine to fit, not quite as complicated as putting a 964 tank into an IB though.

Did you refurb the thermostat? If so did you find new crush washers for the threaded inserts?

Have you got enough room to fit the spring plate cover and bolts - looks very tight with that black oil line, fingers crossed for that one ;)

Would you be able to crack out any more short flywheels? If so what sort of cost?

Good luck with the rest dude.

Did you refurb the thermostat? If so did you find new crush washers for the threaded inserts?

Are they not the same as the sump washers?

Are they not the same as the sump washers?

I thought that too but they are bigger, Ill grab a snap as a comparison.

Would you be able to crack out any more short flywheels? If so what sort of cost?

Excellent, really nicely done and +1 on the flywheel.

This little project certainly raises the bar - can't imagine there'll be much that will top it! Great work Brummie, gotta love the way that nearly all our comments are of the awestruck variety, not much constructive advice that anyone can add :ani_clapping:

Brummie that flywheel is an excellent bit of engineering very impressive, and the oil tank looks like it grew there Porsche would be proud of that. Baz

Haway the brummie! - sterling work young man!

I'm busy with those very oil pipes & tank on the Mrs 964 - not much room round there eh. I've also had to get a couple of custom lines made to get the Vram engine to fit, not quite as complicated as putting a 964 tank into an IB though.

Have you got enough room to fit the spring plate cover and bolts - looks very tight with that black oil line, fingers crossed for that one ;)

Good luck with the rest dude.

Dead right Jevvy, not much room in there to fit the tank..... skinned a few knuckes putting that in.

There is just enough room in there to fit the spring plate cover though tightening the bolts may prove to be fun :unsure:

I bought a new thermostat housing which came assembled complete with all the fittings and washers but try these guys..... http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/copper-compre...ashers-994.html

I'll have to come back to you about the flywheel.... Are you looking at shortening a gearbox too? There are one or two other items that also need modifying...... the clutch plate has to be shortened by 8mm and the clutch release lever needs 3mm shaving off the back.

You can save yourself a boat load of hassle and just shorten the gearbox by 19mm, that way a standard RS clutch and flywheel will fit without any other mods.... the engine will still fit the body ok once the torsion bar tube has been removed.

Dead right Jevvy, not much room in there to fit the tank..... skinned a few knuckes putting that in.

There is just enough room in there to fit the spring plate cover though tightening the bolts may prove to be fun :unsure:

I bought a new thermostat housing which came assembled complete with all the fittings and washers but try these guys..... http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/copper-compre...ashers-994.html

I'll have to come back to you about the flywheel.... Are you looking at shortening a gearbox too? There are one or two other items that also need modifying...... the clutch plate has to be shortened by 8mm and the clutch release lever needs 3mm shaving off the back.

You can save yourself a boat load of hassle and just shorten the gearbox by 19mm, that way a standard RS clutch and flywheel will fit without any other mods.... the engine will still fit the body ok once the torsion bar tube has been removed.

Hey dude

thanks for the link - will check it out later.

I wont be needing a flywheel from you but I'm sure that if its a success and you mentioned in on Pelican(might be best to seek waynes permission first) you may well see a bit of interest especially if the price is half sensible.

Good luck with that springplate :)