Type of fuel/MPG

Boz

I've been using Total Excellium 97 RON for the last week and it's brilliant, has made a bigger dent in the butt dyno than BP Ultimate usually does. I normally just stick Tesco 95 in it if I am pottering and shift up to 97/98 when an event or mega drive is approaching, and give it a blast of Redex every so often. I am going to stick to Excellium over the winter and see what difference it makes to sticky injectors when she is reawakened come the big thaw. Have put it in my lawnmower too.

I was getting anything up to 28 MPG out of mine when I used to count it.

28 mpg is not bad at all!!

There don't seem to be any Total petrol stations round my way at all... so won't be using Excellium.

I generally use Shell or BP 95ron in my Golf and, like you, switch to 98ron for long runs or for some fun driving.

At one point I was using cheapo supermarket 95ron (Sainsburys really close to me) and found that the car was idling poorly and stuttered under acceleration. When I asked my local Vdub mechanic he just told me not to use supermarket petrol... I took his advice and the problem sorted it self.

Been using the V-power stuff recently...seems really good.

I have religiously used BP Ultimate (98 RON) on advice from a few people. Has been as much as A$1.50 (60 pence) a litre but now around A$1.25 (50 pence) a litre. (And Australians complain about our "expensive" petrol. Its not the petrol but the porsches that are expensive down here !).

The car runs very well but I cant really compare it to anything else.

As a newish owner I have kept a detailed analysis of my fuel consumption over the last six months (perhaps the first four letters of "analysis" sum me up). I promise I will stop soon.

Anyway, heavy city driving and I will get about 16 - 18 miles per gallon, a mix of traffic and cruising and I get about 22-23 miles per gallon and my best was a touch over 30 miles per gallon on a 600 km trip basically non-stop on an expressway from Sydney to Canberra and back doing the limit of 110 km/h (ish :whistling: ).

Not too bad for a 24 year old 3.0 litre.

Total Excellium 97 RON for the last week and it's brilliant, has made a bigger dent in the butt dyno than BP Ultimate usually does

John

Intrigued by your comment here as our IBs have no way of taking advantage of the higher octane rating. I use V-Power, but only for the detergent properties it has.

As an aside, was very impressed with the Total fuel in France with my wife's new Boxster - noticeably more mpg on the two or three tanks I put through it.

Intrigued by your comment here as our IBs have no way of taking advantage of the higher octane rating. I use V-Power, but only for the detergent properties it has.

I think might just have to do with detergents mate, a crisper feel when accelerating. I have had the same effect when using octane booster though and don't get the same effect when using Redex, so maybe it's not that.

The car idles the same and runs the same, but it just gathers pace a little more cleanly, no doubt in my mind it's the best of the super-unleadeds I have yet used. I hadn't tried it before as stations closest to me only carry the 95, but I was out of my area when I bought it. Have found it nearer now - I actually rang two petrol stations so you can tell I was genuinely impressed. I also took the long way home the other day as the car was running so well.

I only really use supermarkets and Total for fuel. Supermarkets for the points and Total as they sponsor the Dakar. Anyone else buy their fuel on the basis of sponsorship or loyalties, or is it just wherever you are passing when the needle hits E? I don't buy Shell unless I am really stuck, blame Schumi lol.

I only use Shell - Optimax and now V-Power. My nearest 3 stations are all Shell and I'm not hugely worried about Shumi's sponsorship. Tried the Tesco's Super Unleaded, but the popping and banging on overrun was alarming.

On the dyno days I always fill up that morning from a very busy station just off the A14. Their through put ensures as much as possible that their product is reasonably fresh and up to octane.

I've just been stuffing Sainsburys finest 95 ron in it, sometimes step up to more potent stuff if I have a money off voucher :D

I've never noticed much difference in day to day driver, I'm sure only a dyno'd or track/race car can tell the difference. We've previously had a Honda Civic Type R and the owners forum always banged on about what fuel is best, I just chose whatever is the most convenient. Says to use minium of 95 RON Unleaded in the manual so that will do me.

I've just been stuffing Sainsburys finest 95 ron in it, sometimes step up to more potent stuff if I have a money off voucher. I've never noticed much difference in day to day driver.

I'm with you mate but that Excellium definitely made a diff in my car within 5 miles. Tank was on rock bottom E when I put £20 in it (I never ever fill up unless we are gonna be doing big miles). Maybe a few others could give it a try in an empty tank and see what they think, would be interested to know.

Just reading about the fuel on the Total site. Apparently it has a detergent and a lubricant, the lubricant helping to reduce mechanical friction. I would guess that is doing the work on mine as I felt a difference immediately. Mine is a 95 ron car and has been for ages, so maybe would not be so noticeable on a full time 97 ron car. They are claiming up to thirty extra miles a tankful or 4%. Has been tested on circuits and rolling roads etc. Link to FAQ info is here.

Some blurb:

TOTAL EXCELLIUM Unleaded 97 is a completely new fuel developed exclusively for TOTAL and in response to the demand from new engine technologies as well as motorists who have waited for the creation of new products that will aid in the reduction of exhaust pollution. It is designed for high performance petrol cars and allows drivers of the cars to benefit from;

A new chemical detergent designed to respond to new vehicles.

An drop in consumption thanks to a reduction in loss due to mechanical friction.

We don't have much choice up here, so I usualy stick just Morrisons finest 95RON and on occasion Gulf or Shell 98RON. Haven't noticed any difference to be honest, it idles and goes identicaly. My best fuel consumption was on a 500 mile run and came up to 34mpg.

Here in the PRoC (People's Republic of California), the tree huggers run the place. Octane levels that I am seeing listed in this thread are making me seriously envious. I use Chevron w/ Techron. Their "super unleaded" is listed at 91. :angry:

We don't have much choice up here, so I usualy stick just Morrisons finest 95RON and on occasion Gulf or Shell 98RON. Haven't noticed any difference to be honest, it idles and goes identicaly. My best fuel consumption was on a 500 mile run and came up to 34mpg.

34mpg :o that's amazing..........yours got a Nissan Micra engine in it? :lol:

I've never heard of anyone getting more than 30, I thought my SC was

good at 27 on a run!!

Either we're doing something wrong or you need a new calculator ;)

Here in the PRoC (People's Republic of California), the tree huggers run the place. Octane levels that I am seeing listed in this thread are making me seriously envious. I use Chevron w/ Techron. Their "super unleaded" is listed at 91. :angry:

Hang on.... I think I've got some of that in a bottle in the drinks cabinet. :D

34mpg :o that's amazing..........yours got a Nissan Micra engine in it? :lol:

I've never heard of anyone getting more than 30, I thought my SC was

good at 27 on a run!!

Either we're doing something wrong or you need a new calculator ;)

85liters = 18.69 galons typicaly last me 550 miles which is 29.4mpg, this is in daily use.

Most recent long run lasted 600 miles - 32.1mpg

I ran the tank low and filled £20 of Total Excellium, I'm not always convinced that the differences of fuel can be noticed day to day. After a quick blast up and down the road the car did feel more sprightly and appeared to run smoother, cool.

Not sure if I'd fill up with this everytime as its over a quid per litre! and Total don't do Nectar points, so I'll probably continue filling up mostly at Sainsburys!

• 3 weeks later...

Any one else tried the Tesco 99 stuff?

I put 2/3rds of a tank in last weekend - certainly felt a bit perkier, especially the top end.

I can't complain at 91.9p a litre

SP