Alex's 3.6 Engine Transplant

I’ve wanted to do a 3.6 conversion to my 1985 3.2 for a while but up until now have been a bit reluctant due to time, cost, future resale value etc but finally decided as my car isn’t really going to win any future concourse competitions, now’s the time to take the plunge (also helped by a high speed blast round Reading in a 3.6 IB)

So after many months of searching, finally found a 3.6 engine to transplant into my 1985 narrow body IB.

Here’s the engine as bought:

Now I know that it’s all been done many times before and there are already threads already detailing 3.6 conversions but I also know that I’m going to need a lot of hand holding and will have a load of questions that I hope some of the more experienced out there can help me out with along the way.

For now I’ve started to get the engine in a more ‘simplified’ state, stripping any unnecessary bits off & general tidying and replacing any seals & parts that are difficult or impossible to get access to when the engine is back in the car.

Some of the tinwork is looking a bit tired! So remove and replace as necessary (still amazes me how much Porsche charge for replacement engine covers)

Here’s my current engine (I’m open to offers if anyone’s interested in it?)

post-3228-1267795681_thumb.jpg

Go for it Alex! The market for your 3.2 engine will widen if you advertise it with the ECU and wiring harness for the engine to ECU - putting a 3.2 into an earlier car is a popular mod and needs those extra bits.

spoken like a man with barely 231bhp. ;)

And barely any brakes either ! lol:

(A similar 231hp whipped yo Boosted ass at BLM last year :whistling::P )

Edited by GaryH

And barely any brakes either ! lol:

(A similar 231hp whipped yo Boosted ass at BLM last year :whistling::P )

Brakes for girls! :lol:

Edited by Fred

but have you got the guts(crazy block that Gary!!)??? :flag:

You sound like Twinny Minor Fred, all balls and no brains. :rolleyes: I pulled his car out of a ditch for the second time in a month last week (practising his Scandinavian Flick). If I wanted to race I'd stick numbers on the doors. BTDT and got the trophies (in a box in the loft). I have nothing to prove. Happy to just enjoy the day with my mates.

Mazda 6 TDi. He's 0 for 2 at the mo. :doh2:

no worries, I am learning as well, nearly went true an around about the other day... I thought my car had better brakes!! :blush:

Edited by Fred