Ben's 3.6 SC: The Shed

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry was in a rush to get the van back.

Its alleged to have done 60k miles.

Been in an IB previously, well spotted long fella, its got the Patrick motorsport plugs, flywheel, single pulley.

No idea about the exhaust, you cant see in the pic but the exhuast does have the lambda plugged in.

Some of the tinware mods are a bit rough as the heating plumbing.

• 2 weeks later...

Very little progress on this, other than you might have seen elsewhere that I've sold the 3.0 ltr, should be whipping it out as soon as its stops bloody raining.

I've sourced a loom and ECU, its a bit of a mish mash of wiring but should be ok.

I've bought a 3.2 cooler, 3.2 front discs and boxster calipers.

Tripe's got a box of stuff on the way to me, still need a bunch more.

I've ordered the oil pipe adapter and o rings from the OPC, tried to order the oil extension pipe from Patrick but he wants $45 postage for a silly little thing, I'm trying to arrange to have it delivered to a mate in the USA, then hand carried over.

Wiring? I'll have a go myself. How hard can it be?

Very little progress on this, other than you might have seen elsewhere that I've sold the 3.0 ltr, should be whipping it out as soon as its stops bloody raining.

I've sourced a loom and ECU, its a bit of a mish mash of wiring but should be ok.

I've bought a 3.2 cooler, 3.2 front discs and boxster calipers.

Tripe's got a box of stuff on the way to me, still need a bunch more.

I've ordered the oil pipe adapter and o rings from the OPC, tried to order the oil extension pipe from Patrick but he wants $45 postage for a silly little thing, I'm trying to arrange to have it delivered to a mate in the USA, then hand carried over.

Wiring? I'll have a go myself. How hard can it be?

Interesting project,Ben,are you keeping the 915 box?

Interesting project,Ben,are you keeping the 915 box?

Yes, my 915 is pretty good, the down change into second was a right git on my old 3.2 but its fine on this car. I dont see the value of hacking the car about to fit a G50 unless you're going the whole shebang and going for a 6 speeder (which I fancy, but I dont fancy the chopping about).

I think you should buy her loads of presents to re align the matrix :)

Yeah i reckon a pukka clutch and some oil pipes would do it, you could make it part of her easter present too,

My Mrs is getting a classic additions bike cover for her easter prezzie. she's thrilled.

Yeah i reckon a pukka clutch and some oil pipes would do it, you could make it part of her easter present too,

My Mrs is getting a classic additions bike cover for her easter prezzie. she's thrilled.

I really fancy that Bronze Turbo or a Mk11 Jag (fancy myself somewhere between Endevour Morse and Joey Boswell complete with leather strides, moving swiftly on...)

My SC is now engineless, the 3.0ltr is on a pallet ready to be collected.

Can do a bit of cleaning up in there.

Edited by burgundyben

I've been into the local Pirtek hose place, chaps in there were very helpful.

Supply hose that comes along the car from the tank can be fitted into the bottom of the SC filter, SC filter needs to be clamped into its bracket a little higher.

Top of SC filter is M14 90 degree, An M18 goes onto the metal fuel pipe that goes across to the right hand rail. Its done in 1/4 inch bore ruber. 300mm long overall.

M16 goes onto pressure relief valve, M14 onto the return back to the tank. 130mm overall.

£20 the pair.

DSCN0806.jpg

I've been spending my pocket money...A nice new kupplung from Chewy

DSCN0807.jpg

And he sent me an oil pipe too...

DSCN0808.jpg

Mick Day sent me a ring gear, with some other odds and sods from Chewy I've got everything I need to fit the gearbox onto the motor.

Oil lines are mostly sorted and I've got a 3.2 cooler to fit, yet to order a fan. Seen a 5 inch Spal one. Not sure how this will be switched, the cooler has no socket for a sender, manual would be dead easy but I'd rather it was automatic.

I need to move onto sorting the tinware, its a mess.

I know Jeremy aka Tripe aka Tripenmufflen and more recently (well by me in this post) aka Chewy gets plenty of good press, I can't stress enough, his service is spot on. Thank you Sir.

Wiring remains a mystery....

Forgot to add, I'm thinking this might be an opportune time to paint thr engine bay as its mess in there. My very patient wife is going to give me a decision on my proposed colour choice tomorrow, watch this space.

Edited by burgundyben

I'll be taking the kupplung to work tomorrow to use the press to fit the release bearing.

I read that some 3.6 installs use spacers to lower the engine a bit, I heard upto an inch on VR installs but not as much on NVR and 964, so i got my mate at work to make up four spacers of 1/2 inch each, I can use one pair or all four as required. I thought I'd get longer bolts to suit both, so in all cases I'd have the bits and bobs at hand.

Fiddling about with these bits this evening I found something odd....the rear mounting cross member on the 3.6, which has been in a 915 car previously, the tube bits on the ends are not threaded, the M12 bolts drop straight through.....?

Edit - Just thought maybe its M14 so went out to check, its not, its a plain hole.

Edited by burgundyben

I really fancy that Bronze Turbo or a Mk11 Jag (fancy myself somewhere between Endevour Morse and Joey Boswell complete with leather strides, moving swiftly on...)

Morse drove a Lancia - far too good for ITV who had to make do with a Jag!

I read that some 3.6 installs use spacers to lower the engine a bit, I heard upto an inch on VR installs but not as much on NVR and 964, so i got my mate at work to make up four spacers of 1/2 inch each, I can use one pair or all four as required. I thought I'd get longer bolts to suit both, so in all cases I'd have the bits and bobs at hand.

Fiddling about with these bits this evening I found something odd....the rear mounting cross member on the 3.6, which has been in a 915 car previously, the tube bits on the ends are not threaded, the M12 bolts drop straight through.....?

Edit - Just thought maybe its M14 so went out to check, its not, its a plain hole.

Yes you will probably need spacers and if you are using the 3.6 cross member it will need to be bent forwards slightly - has this already been done?

Also yes on the holes being un-threaded - you need a big washer and nut on the bottom under the beam.