G50 Transmission Repair

Oil finally arrived from Opie this week so time to fill the gearbox - a lot easier then when fitted :rolleyes:

DSC01293.jpg

As a quick check I'd put it back together right I rigged up a coupling to a power drill and did a spin test in each gear:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

All sounds good - the shift is even smoother once some oil's been thrown around inside. You can really feel where some of the 15% losses go in the higher gears - my 800W power drill was working hard to spin it up in 5th gear.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

top work, but if you want to know the secret to locking the box for stripping or rebuiling, remove the bolt from 5th/6th selector so when the selector shaft moves thses don`t, ie select say 4th gear then manually select 5th or 6th and hey presto the box is locked, nut gun is best way to remove locknuts as less stress on parts but you can undo with a bar.Nothing better to lock a box than 2 gears at once unles you are driving it at the time.

Cheers - the guys at work also told me about the selecting 2 gears trick (after I'd got mine together...) - will try this next time, fingers crossed I won't need to pull my box apart again though !

+1 on using a nut gun for getting the main nuts undone - didn't even need to lock the shafts :rolleyes:

Great thread. Really enjoyed reading. Parts of it remind me of rebuilding my old VW Beetle engine. Pulling off the crankshaft timing gear and refitting it after heating it up. And the torque technique is the same I used for the flywheel nut. I have only ever done the reverse gear on a 915 so a box rebuild has always looked daunting. This thread has gone someway to ease my mind.

Thanks for a great read.

MD, many thanks for your advice, it was a great help.

With in a few minutes I had the diff completely out and the nose casing off and gave 5th, 6th and reverse gears and the diff and pinon a check. Everything looked unworn with no damage and I could engage the other 4 gears so I bought it.

Hopefully I can return the favour and help you on something in the future.

MD, many thanks for your advice, it was a great help.

No problem - really pleased to hear it helped.

With in a few minutes I had the diff completely out and the nose casing off and gave 5th, 6th and reverse gears and the diff and pinon a check. Everything looked unworn with no damage and I could engage the other 4 gears so I bought it.

So are we about to see a 6 speed G50 install thread ???

EDIT: just seen you're new thread - looks like a v. interesting project !

Edited by MaxDiesel

• 2 weeks later...

It's fixed :rolleyes:

Tim S gave me a hand to get the engine & gearbox back in last weekend, I then spent a couple of evenings getting the rear suspension and brakes back together:

DSC01344.jpg

Taxed it and took it for a drive today - shifts through all gears smoothly, no crunches and 2nd is definitely easier than before. Spent ~20mins driving around in 2nd to seeing if it would jump out gear but it was absolutely fine.

Looks like I can do a track day now :steering:

Edited by MaxDiesel

Very well done, what with the suspension as well a very hand man with a spanner.

I think you probably go down as having the cleanest and most tidy garage as well! Although i'm dissapinted to think I can see a spek of dust on the floor there........

Very well done, what with the suspension as well a very hand man with a spanner.

I think you probably go down as having the cleanest and most tidy garage as well! Although i'm dissapinted to think I can see a spek of dust on the floor there........

Heavy night was it?

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys I just found this fascinating thread and also, this is my first post. I have an 88 G50 dedicated Race Car with a recently rebuilt G50 short geared trans, with factory LSD.

This was built by a senior factory Porsche Technician, and used all new gears, tsteel dogs, steel synchros etc.

However, upon reinstalling, it is jumping out of gear at load . third and fourth gear to be specfic.

The tech has it apart and is redoing it right now,.

However , i would like to test the box on the bench to see if it is still jumping out of gear . before re installing

It seems the OP here, during his masterful essay on this rebuild, rigged up a drill to apply power to the box.

Does anyone know if that is enough power to test if it jumps out?

Thanks Very much Frank