CV Bolts. Always new?

I found a couple of my CV bolts on the inner ends were not tight when I pulled the motor out.

I admit when I fitted them I didn't use a torque wrench, reading elsewhere on the web (other internet forums are available) I note that its reccommended on a 911 to torque them and some people say only use once only.

I also note there are some 12.9 bolts available as a kit with groove lock heads and retainers, anybody tried this? See here:-

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Stage8-GB.html

Sounds good value for the piece of mind to me. The extra cost is less than half a tank of petrol (which Tankman blows out the back on the overrun!!) over buying standard bolts.

Anyone tried them?

I found a couple of my CV bolts on the inner ends were not tight when I pulled the motor out.

I admit when I fitted them I didn't use a torque wrench, reading elsewhere on the web (other internet forums are available) I note that its reccommended on a 911 to torque them and some people say only use once only.

I also note there are some 12.9 bolts available as a kit with groove lock heads and retainers, anybody tried this? See here:-

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Stage8-GB.html

Sounds good value for the piece of mind to me. The extra cost is less than half a tank of petrol (which Tankman blows out the back on the overrun!!) over buying standard bolts.

Anyone tried them?

I think it depends what size they are - if they're M8 I'd be tempted to replace them with some of the same grade, if M10 then I'd just re-use - my M10s have been on and off three times since I had the car and are always fine.

I have ordered a set to inspect and try. Spoke to Dan (Ideola), and he has set me up a reseller account - so if I like them then I will probably get some more to have in stock...

I replaced mine the first time I took the drive shaft off but since then I have reused. The reason I replaced the first time is I didn't know how long they had been on. I always torque to the correct setting.

Mind you they are only £1 each so better safe than sorry?

Hi,

Mine worked loose once resulting in the last one shearing off, taking off at a roundabout. I just replaced the one and refitted the others. No problem since. I used a small bit of threadlock. I understand that they sometimes work loose after a track day.

Ciaran

Edited by Ciaran

• 4 weeks later...

Only just seen this thread and noted similar on Pelican but with more detail, opinion seems to be change every time you remove them if they are OEM. See here http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-911-912-a.html seems a no brainer. Hopefully Kroggers will chime in and let us know what he is selling them for..........

Regards

Ian

Yes, after my excitement this weekend with the CV bolts (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/539881-i-think-my-transmission-just-exploded.html) This is in dead a no brainer :huh:

100_12831272691240.jpg

As you can see from the thread on Pelican, Stage8 have been a bit slow on sending out the bolts (sad really, as I would have had them replaced before the weekend if they had been on time :( ). But I am now sure that these bolts are a good insurance and worth the extra cost - so, yes, I will be looking to supply these.

As for cost, I am still in discussions. The bottom line is that they will not cost more from me than what they are offered for by Dan within his group deal. I am not 100% sure yet if I will keep them locally in stock or get them drop-shipped direct to the customer from the US. For those of you that are located in the UK, it would put the price up to much if I was to first import them to Sweden (higher VAT etc over here) and then send them to you in the UK!

I am not really looking to make any money on these, just see them as a great product that I want to be able to offer to my European Porsche friends - so it is up to you if you want to order direct from Dan or via me (obviously I wold appreciate the business ;) )

One option is to see how much interest there is, and I can set-up a group purchase for us here in IB.com?

• 4 months later...

The secret to reliable CV Joints is to use a good quality Socket Cap Screw and a simple locking feature.

Up to 1984 all cap screws used on 911 CVs were locked with Schnorr Washers and it is essential to replace these parts every time a fastener is undone.

I would also change the bolts as a precaution but as a minimum replace the washers. It has also become fashionable to use Stainless Steel Schnorr washers but these are not the best solution as they do not lock as well as conventional high tensile steel parts.

All cap heads should be Grade 12.9 but some of the Far Eastern supplied bolts are not too good and I would always used a branded make such as Unbrako.

Sizes shouldn't be too difficult to sort out.

Up to 1968 M8 x 45 (Also 914) x 24

1969 - 1973 M10 x 48 x 16 or M10 x 55 x 16 (Both are shown on the PET and either will fit so an M10 x 55 is a good compromise) x 16

1974-1983 M10 x 48 x 16 or M8 x 50 x 24 (Both are shown on the PET)

1975-1983 Turbo M10 x 60 x 24

1984 - 1986 M10 x 50 x 24 or M10 x 60 x 24 (Both are shown on PET)

1987 - 1989 M10 x 50 - (no quantities shown)

Edited by weissach911

Weissach, unless I'm very much mistaken not all the cars had the Schnorr washers. For example the M10 x 48 bolts for the 911 SC were only used on the sportomatic models in conjunction with the Schnorrs, the standard 915 gearbox cars don't have them.

My car didnt have Schnorrs, and the bolts had come loose, Schnorrs are going in and cant hurt is my thought.

That is why I have a full set of Stage8 locking bolts ready to go in with the new axles when I put the 3.6 in the car. At least then I know it is good...

The PET shows that all cars had a locking washer - which should be a Schnorr washer- up to 1984, when they wer omitted.

I have checked for every year but I agree that this is a paper excercise and I am not 100% sure if they were always fitted at the factory as the PET is not always completely accurate.

There is a good chap that sells High Tensile Schnorr Washers at about £0.20 each on Ebay in either M8 or M10 and I have a couple of hundered of each size and normally keep Unbrako Socket Caps.

There is a good chap that sells High Tensile Schnorr Washers at about £0.20 each on Ebay in either M8 or M10 and I have a couple of hundered of each size and normally keep Unbrako Socket Caps.

I've just bought a bag of 50, enough to do the car twice. I'll give them a whirl with the 3.6 and keep and eye on them, if they come loose I'll go the stage 8 route.

I like the stage 8 ones for no other reason than they look racey!

• 11 months later...