3.2 Brake Refurb and Upgrade

I used a custom length of brake pipe between calliper and flexi, bent by hand to fit. I can't remember the length, but I will measure it later.

230mm long.

Mark

Ben,

Sorry for the delay my car is deep in the corner of my garage burred behind everything.

This is the solution I chose to go with.

The pipe is a coated steel - as factory spec.

Boxster%20plumbing_zpsuvmloiwy.jpg

These were the MK1 version - bent from kunifer.

They work but look unsightly and could be a little exposed to impact damage.

old%20plumbing_zpss8bgwsae.jpg

I could pop these in the post if you want.

Edited by Leicestershire

Leicestershire, I like the banjo idea and would like to add to mine before I bleed the brakes. However cannot find the correct ones. Do you remember where you got them from?

Thanks, Chris.

Leicestershire, I like the banjo idea and would like to add to mine before I bleed the brakes. However cannot find the correct ones. Do you remember where you got them from?

Thanks, Chris.

They are atec parts. A bit spendy for what they are.

I think I got them from Chris at Fenn Lane Motorsport.

Brakes all bled and so tried out the new 930 MC today. Not ideal conditions on the wet roads in the pouring rain, but it felt good.

Fine from speed straight off, but I initially found I was not using enough pressure when just rolling to a stop at a junction. After a few miles I was used to it and much prefer the reduced pedal travel.

Have to see what its like on the track.

Mark

• 3 years later...

Mark , after living with the 930 m/c  is the conclusion its a worthwhile upgrade ? With its main benefit showing up on track or is the shorter pedal travel that ticks the box ?   

Current thinking is just the Boxster's on the front over  3.2 discs  , a nice little project for the winter  if I can find  a set of calipers for sensible money  .

Edited by Henry

I'm running Boxster calipers with the standard 3.2 m/c but with the bias valve removed.  I find little difference in the pedal travel, I'd only upgrade to a 930 m/c if you're standard m/c is buggered or needs refurbing.

36 minutes ago, Henry said:

Mark , after living with the 930 m/c  is the conclusion its a worthwhile upgrade ? With its main benefit showing up on track or is the shorter pedal travel that ticks the box ?  

Yes, worthwhile giving a much better pedal fell on road and track. With the std MC I just found the extra pedal travel too long. Much easier to accurately get just the braking effect you are after with the bigger MC.

Mark

Thanks Nige ,Mark   I guess the sensible thing to do a try with the calipers first and see especially as my MC is fairly new ATE one . I must admit I don't  like the idea of a lot of pedal travel tbh though .  I  dont think there was ever a balancing valve in my SC so should be ok there .   First thing first find some calipers and get them up to snuff . :)

9 minutes ago, Henry said:

I  dont think there was ever a balancing valve in my SC so should be ok there

Correct, not on an SC its only a 3.2 thing.

Mark

2 hours ago, Henry said:

Current thinking is just the Boxster's on the front over  3.2 discs  , a nice little project for the winter  if I can find  a set of calipers for sensible money  .

If you are fitting Boxster fronts on a SC it is recommend that 3.2 rear callipers are fitted. These have larger pistons and keep the brakes balanced.

Boxster fronts with SC rears would move the bias towards the front any braking benefit would be lost as fronts would lock up too early.

• 1 year later...