SC Fuel Pressure Accumulator

OK, have been looking around for a fuel pressure accumulator for my car. I have had hot start problems since I bought it, Tuthills changed the fuel pump check valve and played with the fuel pressure regulator last year but made zero difference. 101 Projects reckons the accumulator is the source of lots of these problems, I have thought that all along, so it's my next port of call. The one on mine is no doubt original so can't complain after 23 years of service!

accumulator.jpg

Started off by ringing OPC Silverstone - they want £176 plus the VAT.

Then emailed Type 911 - £130 plus the VAT, not a stock item.

Then German and Swedish - they won't supply them.

Then Eurocarparts - started off at £100.69 plus the VAT but then they checked the price as last one they ordered was some time ago. Finished up at £111 plus the VAT plus a fiver delivery (knocked him down from £8) - £137 all in.

Then I searched for a Bosch part number on Pelican's board. Closest match I could come up with was 0438 170 009. Went on the Bosch website to try and search part numbers - no joy. Google led me to Bosch USA and they have a part number finder (it is here and it is cool). Came up with a different number: 0438 170 031.

Went back on Bosch UK and searched my nearest suppliers. Rang the first one in Banbury, they don't do accumulators. Rang the next ones who I have dealt with before - MPD in Bicester (01869 244612) and got some prices.

The 009 part number came up as £49 plus the VAT, the 031 came up as £94.20 plus the VAT. That works out to £110.68 or about £26 cheaper than my previous best price. Checked the part numbers again and the 009 is 1979 SC while the 031 should be right for my '83 car, despite being on the US system where '83 cars were (supposedly) 181bhp or whatever.

I will take mine off tomorrow and check for a number on it, but good result for a few minutes digging and a couple of calls I thought, hope it is right :)

Will start compiling lists of bits, part numbers and where to get the best deals - if you buy parts anywhere for your car and get a good price, feed the numbers back to me and we will share the information.

Cheers all ;)

Just taken it off and it is a 009, so the cheap one, but is it the right one?! I don't think it has ever worked so is that down to it being wrong? It has definitely been on there a while so am guessing it is original, but might not be. Think I should fit the '83 specced one instead. Any thoughts?

accumulator1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

5 weeks later :o it has now come into stock (were waiting for a production run), am picking it up in the morning so we will see then what difference it makes...don't mind the wait as long as it works

No wonder this is twice the price of the older one; it's twice the size. No wonder my car wasn't working properly, look at the difference between the two. How the bloody hell was that piddly little thing ever gonna hold the pressure the system needs going by the size of the proper one?!

Just clearing my inbox and them am off to the garage!

accumulator005Medium.jpg

Fitted this today with the help of my seven-year-old and have to say a resounding success. Took maybe six turns of the motor to shift the fuel in and then it fired up and has started first turn every time since. Started it and left it running for about a half hour to build up some heat, then knocked it off and started it again at 15 minutes (ran for 5 minutes then turned it off), a half hour (ran for five then off) and two hours (ran for five then off) and it started absolutely first crack of the key every time no mistake.

Have just gone out there now 5 hours later with it stone cold and it started first half turn again. I will attach a file so you can hear just how quick it fires up, though it has always started quickly from cold. The quality is crap as it's recorded on my MP3 player's very very sensitive built-in mic, which just can't handle the huge air presure movements from the exhaust so sounds distorted but is really just too much air, even from 10ft away.

Bloody chuffed but I guess when I'm starting it hot in real ambient heat we will know for sure. Having said that, it will loose heat way faster with the air con condensor missing off the engine cover now, so that will also help it I think.

• 3 months later...
Guest khamsin

:unsure: Just running in my Carrera 3.0, and guess what? she has developed a hot start problem.I'm just about to remove the fuel accumulator and would appreciate some help to make sure that I order the correct part. Could anyone let me know what the part number should be, 1977 Carrera 3.0 RHD.

Thanks in advance, PAUL.

• 3 weeks later...
:unsure: Just running in my Carrera 3.0, and guess what? she has developed a hot start problem.I'm just about to remove the fuel accumulator and would appreciate some help to make sure that I order the correct part. Could anyone let me know what the part number should be, 1977 Carrera 3.0 RHD.

Thanks in advance, PAUL.

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that the fuel accumulator has packed up- you can expect more of those obscure parts to drop a clanger as the car stood idle for, what 8 years?

The following link will allow you to download the full manual (PET) for oyur car as well as various other bits. Download it on your harddrive and hey presto, oyu have the same system as the Porsche centres at your convenience.

Canells link to PET manuals

Best regards,

Bert

Forget using the Porsche part number. You need the Bosch number which will be stamped into the top of it - you can then get it half price at your local Bosch dealer. Forget buying this from an OPC - unneccessarily expensive way of doing it IMO.

I think yours will either end in 045 or 009, but you can double check the bosch number out on the US Bosch site - there is a link in one of my posts. Or try Jim Williams' CIS site, in the links section. Lots of info there.

You can get the PET pdf stuff on the Porsche site, much easier. I don't know why Rick has decided to host the PET pdfs when Porsche already do it and can save him the bandwidth.

Guest khamsin
Forget using the Porsche part number. You need the Bosch number which will be stamped into the top of it - you can then get it half price at your local Bosch dealer. Forget buying this from an OPC - unneccessarily expensive way of doing it IMO.

I think yours will either end in 045 or 009, but you can double check the bosch number out on the US Bosch site - there is a link in one of my posts. Or try Jim Williams' CIS site, in the links section. Lots of info there.

You can get the PET pdf stuff on the Porsche site, much easier. I don't know why Rick has decided to host the PET pdfs when Porsche already do it and can save him the bandwidth.

Thanks chaps, 009 ,still waiting arrival as Bosch were awaiting a delivery themselves.

I'm still making do with 4 legged horse power!!

• 2 weeks later...
Forget using the Porsche part number.

I don't know why Rick has decided to host the PET pdfs when Porsche already do it and can save him the bandwidth.

Well, In response to John two points:

Firstly its usefull to know the beast by its name and therefore, some parts in your 911 are produced by Bosch, some are by other manufacturers. I usually try to find the correct part using the Porsche number via PET, and *then* I cross reference to check whether that part can be obtained anywhere cheaper as my name is not Onassis -with-an- unlimited-budget. By the way, to my experience, sites such as mittelmotor and Maria Habeck's affair are able to provide parts (with the porsche number) at prices that might undercut most UK providers.

Secondly, the online hosting of the PET system is a fairly recent addition to the Porsche website, if memory serves me right, something like april 2006. Rick hosts the download for three reasons:

a) some workshops have a simple pc (with a big monitor as the resolution is 1024 x whatever) in their garage and PET works well with simple pc's

b) its easier to transport on a laptop pc so you can access it without being online if you break down (dont ask me how I know)

c) There was a time when Porsche was charging quite a bit for the CD-rom. Rick is a true porschista and he made it available for free.

Best regards,

Bert

The point I was making when I said forget the Porsche number is that Bosch (direct) are cheaper - than anyone I found, and I looked everywhere I could think of.

The point I was making about Rick hosting the PDFs is that he will be paying for thousands of people to download those files, the VAST majority of whom will download time and time again - not download and save. That is unfair on him, pretty much guaranteed to be nigh-on thankless from most users and almost suicidal from a bandwidth point of view, unless you are running your own servers. Even then it makes for a busy bunny keeping all that stuff in the air. I don't doubt Rick's commitment to his fellow Porschers, he is an absolutely brilliant guy and I always enjoy seeing him.

I would also question people like Mittelmotor being so cheap any more. I have recently cancelled an order there as I could get it cheaper from Porsche UK (I ordered something they said they had as used and it was actually not available). They are nice people to deal with but not the cheapest I have found.

Same goes in the States. I recently priced up some PermaTune ignition bits for my car and Pelican were £80 dearer than Performance Products on one component alone. I'm no Onassis either - always shopping around can save a packet.