BB’s ex RB 3.2 Hot Rod

Its a 3.2 tacho so the redline on the dial is std 3.2.  Yes, I think its accurate, so 7k rpm on the tacho is 7k rpm at the engine.  Just means you rev it well into the red until it hits the soft cut limiter.

I had it rev limited at 7200 rpm to give it more reach in the intermediate gears when necessary but usually changed at about 6800-7000rpm, so very rarely hit the limiter.  BUT, the top end is built to rev to about 8k rpm and it has 993TT rod bolts, so the 7k rpm limit is very safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Great few hundred miles in Daisy over the weekend. Drove to Silverstone, did about 30 laps. Drove to Bicester and then drove home. Totally brilliant fun. 

Drive home from Bicester was superb. Managed to break the rear screen plastic bolts on the drivers side rear window bar! Window open and spirited driving I guess. Stainless on order.

Boy does she move high up in the revs. You’re right RB. Push at 4K and another around 5.5k. Love it. 

Pops and bangs a la Schofield are addictive. 

3 hour wash and detail today ready for the outlaw gathering. 

BA805686-5928-4230-A72E-7C724981CE9D.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Good job!

How are the brakes?  Given it's still (I think) on road biased pads?  Which will be at best part worn.

Brakes were really good Richard. Must be immense with track pads. 

Mike Wilds drove my car with me as a passenger for a few laps. Very complimentary. Called it a sweet car. Said he wouldn’t change a thing! Boy can he drive 🏁

19 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

He has driven it before many years ago.

Ahh ok. He didn't mention that. Maybe he's forgotten. Does look like a lot of people ask him to drive their cars. 

Is it worth asking Mike for a full days tuition at some point do you think? Would really like to explore the cars limits a bit more. I'm sure she'll corner much more quickly than I give it credit for. 

1 hour ago, GaryH said:

He drove mine :)

Cool dude Mike. His stories over a burger were really good. Kind of a warm up to the Le Mans film at boxengasse. 

Anyone had tuition from Mike for an extended period of time? 

• 4 weeks later...

Suffering from a cold. Haven't driven Daisy for a few days. Relented. Traffic was patchy, head thumping but I still loved it. When there was a stretch of clear road, it’s just sublime. White 3 series bm was behind me. Wasn’t sure if it was a police car so I was watching my speed. Few twisty stretches at the speed limit and he was out of view. Obligatory welsh hills snap 

A03C898A-B997-4AF0-B74F-EBE8048128F0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Looks beautiful in the sun, mountains make a far more scenic backdrop though ;)

Thanks. Hopefully the alps next year, we’d planned a few days driving Snowdonia this week but one of the guys has a leaking steering rack on his 996 jubi. Damn. Weather looks perfect. 

That is just an electric truck heater made in China that cost EUR20 and they are retailing for EUR220.  

I have a similar one I tried that is cream in colour.  The issue is the std 911 alternator has not got enough juice to run a load of electric stuff (ask Jonny for the details).

@Busybee you can have my cream one for the cost of postage and a beer token if you want to try it.  It does put out some heat, but its not a lot.  I sized it for being not so big that you fry the alternator (very technical description!).

48 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Thanks Shirish. Guessing that this is the same https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-12v-600w-ducted-electric-cab-heater-tsddech/. If it is @sopor it’s 200, 400 or 600 watts. Can an ib alternator handle that?

Thanks @Richard Bernau. Happy to try it out. 

In other news on the heating front, spoke to Rich at @turbo thomas and he’s developed new headers with rounded heat exchangers, pre silencer and exhaust that he thinks have much better internals and would fit my car perfectly. Larger bore slightly and a much bigger heat exchanger. It’s a possibility but is circa £3200 for the full lot plus another visit to a dyno. Hmmm. Food for thought. I could go rsr backbox then 😋

I have some design images he emailed over but I’d better refrain as I can’t see that he’s posted them anywhere yet. Look great.