31 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Exhaust. To be honest, and I know its not logical, but the loud exhaust fits the car. Makes me feel like an asbo teenager so wtf, leave it alone. My wife thinks I'm mad driving round in it. Scares sheep which is a good thing :)

BB point the tail pipes straight out the side, make the engine noise bounce off the hedges/mountain sides, cyclists will scatter, children will cry, dogs will run but who cares

Only car I built for myself had a 3" tailpipe straight out the side, use to set off car alarms and I could see flashes of blue flames reflected off hedgerows or buildings, thought the police were after me one night

Was great fun in a scary sort of way.

Edited by World Citizen
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit of a detailing session in the evenings over the last couple of days 

Initial driving impressions of this wolf in wolf's clothing: - So nice to have another old 911! The constant chattering of the steering, the endless bobbing of the nose, the petiteness (even in w

We have brakes. No leaks so far and pedal feels firm. Might have another bleed after they’re all settled for a day or two. 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

BB point the tail pipes straight out the side, make the engine noise bounce off the hedges/mountain sides, cyclists will scatter, children will cry, dogs will run but who cares

Only car I built for myself had a 3" tailpipe straight out the side, use to set off car alarms and I could see flashes of blue flames reflected off hedgerows or buildings, thought the police were after me one night

Maybe it'll act like a plasma cutter and I can cut cyclist's wheels off? 😅

On 24/07/2020 at 13:15, World Citizen said:

Great ideas!

and BB, beautiful car, for AB roads, I think the standard engine is powerful enough:) 3rd gear does it all😀😀

Edited by Justin689
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Justin689 said:

and BB, beautiful car, for AB roads, I think the standard engine is powerful enough:) 3rd gear does it all😀😀

Thanks. Think we all agree. Leave well alone 👍 3rd gear is bliss in the twisties 

BB, you're obviously itching to put your individual stamp on the car but the bar has been set high

Why not post up the top 5 things you like and the top 5 things you think could be improved, doesn't have to be a performance orientated list. Suggestions from the gallery might help you find the best upgrade path for your needs

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

BB, you're obviously itching to put your individual stamp on the car but the bar has been set high

Why not post up the top 5 things you like and the top 5 things you think could be improved, doesn't have to be a performance orientated list. Suggestions from the gallery might help you find the best upgrade path for your needs

Funnily enough, I’m not really Stephen. Lots of things that are spot on. I’m really pleased with my brake and pad upgrade. Stopping greatly improved. Motor is strong and smooth. Looks wise I’d not change a thing. 

Few jobs to do in time. 

Have gearbox oil to change. Motul gear 300 in the garage ready. 

Maybe reduce decibels a tad one day.

Get round to installing the heated seat mats (had a little go but really want to have new seat insert covers made or source some. The current one don’t grip properly on the Velcro and have been stitched through in several places so hard to install heat elements. 

Install my heated windscreen.  

Install a new usb charging point. 

As you can see, little jobs really. Nice for the winter. 

Just now, World Citizen said:

Ah, fitting a 'Welsh Weather Pack', good idea!

If you like nearly everything about Daisy now, just wait until you've spent some Alpine mountain road time together 🥰

3rd September. Adventure begins. 

• johndglynn changed the title to BB’s ex RB 3.2 Hot Rod
  • 1 month later...

Brakes. Took my nephews out for a “spirited” run the other day. Gave the old girl a bit of welly through some twisties and was on the brakes quite a bit. When I got back, NS front was smoking a bit. Wtf! Is that normal performance pad behaviour?
I’ve driven the car twice since on much longer runs and harder really but not as condensed in terms of brake on/off on the twisty stuff. Nothing. Smell a bit when you’re really on it but no smoke. 
Track day next week so what do I check? 

Edited by Busybee
20 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

Hopefully just a bit of grease or grime but worth checking the dust seals.

If you stop without allowing the brakes to cool heat can radiate through the pads and burn the dust seals. 

Thanks Leicestershire. Wheels off, pads out, nose inside the calipers? 

I was thinking it might be a bit of grease. Nothing was hot to touch. Warm yes but nothing hot.

3 hours ago, Busybee said:

Brakes. Took my nephews out for a “spirited” run the other day. Gave the old girl a bit of welly through some twisties and was on the brakes quite a bit. When I got back, NS front was smoking a bit. Wtf! Is that normal performance pad behaviour?
I’ve driven the car twice since on much longer runs and harder really but not as condensed in terms of brake on/off on the twisty stuff. Nothing. Smell a bit when you’re really on it but no smoke. 
Track day next week so what do I check? 

Jack the front corners up before and after driving to check that pads are not binding in a cold / hot condition.

Bit of time so wheels off today. Little clean up with brake cleaner but nothing to report really. Pads all in good shape, pistons all good. Pads wiggled out fine. No binding. 
8BC71DB9-941F-4D40-92FC-B36D492D0935.thumb.jpeg.0127ccda8c91480981b820802d4ca484.jpeg

07669CFE-FBF7-43D2-88C9-9C4D13602C34.thumb.jpeg.e70dc201bf2b82c79627443cc94e62bb.jpeg

144FBF8B-0AC9-4ED1-829C-65BB98ABB9AE.thumb.jpeg.9eb2a3481d2d6089fa0957635f081bd5.jpeg

Think it might have just been a bit of grease or even the paint on the calipers “cooking”.

Took a bit of time fabricating a bit for a snapped off section of brake cooling scoop. Has never been there. Catch more air. Used a bit of squareline gutter. Just cut out the flat bottom bit on a bandsaw. Two self tappers to hold on the extension piece. All back together, back of pads copper greased lightly.  Tool bag packed for Anglesey. 
26A5EA50-94E6-4652-8127-29F30FB39A9A.thumb.jpeg.be2309e1cab3530fac3de821e91cc305.jpeg

Made me get my calculator out. Circa 3kg of force at 250kph wind speed on something that small. Can't see it going anywhere. I've ordered new when I spotted them but likely arrive too late for the track day. 

Hey RB, remind me of the Clutch/plate in Daisy. Is it the item you bought from Patrick Motorsport in 2005? 930 clutch and lightweight flywheel? 

930S spring centred clutch from Patrick in 05, so it likely has 25-30k miles on it, maybe less.  Good for something like 375lbft of tq, as the 930S was c.330lbft IIRC, so should be future proof for upgrades.  The next step is probably a 996TT Sachs clutch if you ever needed it, or you go LW paddle clutch and live with the somewhat horrid driveability issues.  Staying Porsche means you can get one at pretty much any EU Porsche dealer by overnight courier from Stuttgart if you ever need it.  Might be slower service in the UK post 1 Jan 21...

Pressure plate is the Patrick LW PP as you note.  And flywheel is std G50 resurfaced.  

Edited by Richard Bernau
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2020 at 09:54, Richard Bernau said:

930S spring centred clutch from Patrick in 05, so it likely has 25-30k miles on it, maybe less.  Good for something like 375lbft of tq, as the 930S was c.330lbft IIRC, so should be future proof for upgrades.  The next step is probably a 996TT Sachs clutch if you ever needed it, or you go LW paddle clutch and live with the somewhat horrid driveability issues.  Staying Porsche means you can get one at pretty much any EU Porsche dealer by overnight courier from Stuttgart if you ever need it.  Might be slower service in the UK post 1 Jan 21...

Pressure plate is the Patrick LW PP as you note.  And flywheel is std G50 resurfaced.  

Thanks Rich. Going lightweight RS flywheel and clutch. 
Can I ask about the fuel lines. Engine bay lines. What fittings did you use and where from? Think we need to modify one so might buy a couple of meters and the right end fittings to have them ready. Project 3.8 is going live! 

Edited by Busybee

Obviously it’s up to you but there is no need to change the clutch. The 930S clutch is very similar to an RS clutch. By all means do the research but you are (I think) just junking something good for much the same thing. The RS clutch is just a spring centred G50 size clutch with I suspect no more clamping force than what you have. A slightly lighter flywheel makes much more sense to me.  In hindsight I might have done that myself.  But, do please check the weight of an RS flywheel. The 3.2 flywheels are not heavy at all. It is the rubber centred clutch and pressure plate that are heavy - and those are long gone. Please double check this stuff as it seems like you might not need to spend money. I don’t want you wasting money!

Fuel lines are from Pirtek using the original fittings. It’s a 3.2 fuel system with the rubber parts replaced with braided hose. Not complicated. 

Read this. 
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/288151-g50-3-2-clutch.html

It even has a Jevvy reference in it. The RS flywheel is 11.24lbs, so about exactly the same as a 3.2 flywheel IIRC.  I have 12lbs in my mind, but its basically the same I think.   As the pelican thread says the weight is in the pressure plate.  Please double check me but I did all this research back in the day and in the end took what I think is sound advice from Patrick Motorsport. From the realms of OE-like parts, you have the best upgrade clutch/PP already. 

You can go super LW FW etc but that just makes it a pain to drive IME.  

Just one more thought. If saying LW RS clutch and FW you mean something other than the std RS stuff then that is something different again. The std RS clutch and FW are not LW - it’s a misnomer to call them that IMHO. 

And I humbly admit I could be wrong on this as it was a long time ago, so please double check. I am not trying to be difficult particularly if Jev has done the research on it. He is one of my favourite people!  And knows his onions. 

Edited by Richard Bernau

To be honest Richard, I’m not that up to speed on it all. Never split the gearbox/engine on one of these. Jevvy’s idea was to split them, see what we had and then order anything if needed. I was trying to limit downtime and get everything together before we did the swap. This was the kit I was intending on getting https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2133. Thought it would be fairly comprehensive. I’m not keen on blowing £1200 on it if not needed either. Maybe Jevvy’s plan was much more sensible. 

• 6 months later...

Haven't posted a Daisy pic for ageees. Bit of a tidy and polish yesterday ready for the weather that's forecast. Proper love this car! 

2003107525_WhatsAppImage2021-03-30at10_07_58.thumb.jpeg.fe2f6e84f18156a544f6774745b63274.jpeg