BB’s ex RB 3.2 Hot Rod

Plastic wing, plastic bumper, plastic hood. You don't get good panel fit with plastic. Its all a compromise.

Well, you do with the right plastic and the right body guy, but it costs a squillion pounds! So that is the compromise.

I am going to have to start coming to track days with camera gear if you guys are paying photographers these days. That flat red is not the colour of your car!

Well, you do with the right plastic and the right body guy, but it costs a squillion pounds! So that is the compromise.

I am going to have to start coming to track days with camera gear if you guys are paying photographers these days. That flat red is not the colour of your car!

You should - the quality of the photos is generally dire but I needed some new pics of the car. Its the composition that is really poor, they just have no eye for what angles flatter a car and what make it look like cack. Its unsympathetic and unenthusiastic photography. The colour is not completely wrong given I drove up from Surrey in the morning and it was wet for the first hour or so on track, so the car is covered in a film of grey. I washed it at the weekend to get all the bugs off and you could really see the amount of grey filth that came off it.

You are 100% right about the plastic - the only bit that was cut and remade was the rear bumper. Budget didn't run to any more remaking, though I think I can get the front fitting a little better when I decide to pull the bumper off. Next priorities lie elsewhere though - it needs a corner weight and align having been last done about 5 years ago and a front splitter would be nice. Getting around to putting the 964 intake on would be good as well, but even though I lack the grunt of the 3.6 cars, I don't feel massively short of hp, so motivation has been lacking. Its been a good year on the car evolution front.

I am going to have to start coming to track days with camera gear if you guys are paying photographers these days.
You should - the quality of the photos is generally dire but I needed some new pics of the car. Its the composition that is really poor, they just have no eye for what angles flatter a car and what make it look like cack. Its unsympathetic and unenthusiastic photography.

Do it JG. I'll buy them if they're any good (and why shouldn't they be).

I concur with RB. Orange have no idea when it comes to this stuff. I bought the Snett disc from them other year with dad, but that was for nostalgia not for the artistic content, which was for the most part average at best.The best track pictures I have and the only ones printed up and displayed are from Northy a few years back at Silverstone when I had the Targa.

Do it JG. I'll buy them if they're any good (and why shouldn't they be).

I concur with RB. Orange have no idea when it comes to this stuff. I bought the Snett disc from them other year with dad, but that was for nostalgia not for the artistic content, which was for the most part average at best.The best track pictures I have and the only ones printed up and displayed are from Northy a few years back at Silverstone when I had the Targa.

Yes go on JG the pictures were average I also bought the disk and look its changed from a CS into a Caterham

post-264-1283898334_thumb.jpg

The curve in the bottom of the front bumper below the oil cooler opening also bugs me a little. I am hoping I can straighten it with something stiff when I fit a splitter. This car is a driver not a garage queen though - I told the boys when I dropped it off for all the work not to make it so nice I wouldn't want to track it. I put a dent in the roof fitting the cage (long story of ineptness), so its well on the way to gaining JG's favoured patina.

What did your insurers (Footman James/AON ?) say about the full cage RB ?

I am with Hegarty. I told them its a 3.0RS replica then blabbed on about various mods covering all the basics including cage. Once they had 3.0RS replica in their minds everything else followed just fine. I still need to send them all the photos of the car. I told them its caged but not specifically fully caged. This is a reminder that I need to get back to them.

• 4 weeks later...
I am with Hegarty. I told them its a 3.0RS replica then blabbed on about various mods covering all the basics including cage. Once they had 3.0RS replica in their minds everything else followed just fine. I still need to send them all the photos of the car. I told them its caged but not specifically fully caged. This is a reminder that I need to get back to them.

Mr B

I remember when it was a nice 3.2 and had carpets never mind a cage, arches and 3.4. Parked over the road at Jaz.

It's rather more purposeful now, hope its as much fun on track as it looks

you'll likely remember my Pops, Crispin @911 bodyshop but me not-so-much lol

regards

Cris jr

• 3 months later...
Mr B

I remember when it was a nice 3.2 and had carpets never mind a cage, arches and 3.4. Parked over the road at Jaz.

It's rather more purposeful now, hope its as much fun on track as it looks

you'll likely remember my Pops, Crispin @911 bodyshop but me not-so-much lol

regards

Cris jr

Cris - I do remember you guys very well and you played no small part in the history of my car - not the least jigging it twice.... Pity its only a 3.2 not a 3.4 though.

Back to business! Its taken a long time but I am finally getting my hands on photos of the work on the car, so its seems only proper to post up here. Just to prove that it really did have a windows out repaint. Hopefully Andy M will be sending me pics of the detail work on the sunroof delete and the couple of little rusty bits. So to kick things off, here is the evolution in 5 short photos -

001.jpg

002.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

Nice pics Rich. It's a well worn path to APM autos, off the top of my head I can think of 4 IBers who've had big work done by Andy and Paul, my little project is booked in for next week.

Do they have a website?

Will eventually sort my OS bodywork this year ..... i hope

I have to say, I have talked to Andy on the phone and the guy sounded like proper honest block. I feel sorry that I did let him done and not bring my car up there for the work needed on it. I just did not have enough kudos...

Do they have a website?

I think not, Andy and his brother Paul are a couple of old school Yorkshire lads who used to work for the JCT bodyshop and are now working for themselves at Leafield Garage, Bradford. Straight talking & hardworking - if you're interested then get in touch the old fashioned way and give Andy a call on 0790 3585491. No need to pay southern labour rates....

I think not, Andy and his brother Paul are a couple of old school Yorkshire lads who used to work for the JCT bodyshop and are now working for themselves at Leafield Garage, Bradford. Straight talking & hardworking - if you're interested then get in touch the old fashioned way and give Andy a call on 0790 3585491. No need to pay southern labour rates....

appreciate that Jeremy, thanks - have a potential engine re-split to consider, need to look after the pennies

those 951s on the front RB ?

No - 911 8x16s on there now with 14mm of spacer per side over narrow geo (ignoring the bearing spacer for the 944T discs). The 911 8s have less offset/more dish and look pretty much like 9s making it look more "square". I would need another 12mm of spacer for the same track width with 951s. I will try 20mm spacers soon but the lips on the glass wings are huge and need a little trim.

Edit - and one more pic for today

012.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been working (well working is rather flattering - more like pottering) away at some of the details that were left outstanding from the summer. I have a tendancy to get things near enough and then leave them. The level of detail and attention some of you put into your cars puts me to shame (thats you Mr Perkles). Anyhow, with a view to not ever having to worry about the rear screen popping out again, I now have straps to hold it in place. I am getting better with rivnuts - still don't get them all perfectly set and one will spin a little in its hole but its tight enough. The straps were just bent in my vice without much science - just trial and error really. I have countersunk the allen bolt holes and have profiled the back of the strap so it fits fluch over the rivnut.

In the fab stage (yes, thats bird cack on the straps, better there than on the car) -

DSC01507.jpg

Painted and fitted with a clean(ish) screen but just waiting for the plastic bolts to go through the screen to tie it all together. The top of the straps will move about in the vent hole right now. Its not going anywhere but it will move a bit -

DSC01512.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

I have the big tail back from repainting and wanted to retrim the grill and get the IB badge on it -

DSC01511.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

And back on the car - everything is dusty but the new paint on the tail looks much better. And I only managed to drop the tail once while fitting it and the 8 inch scratch on the rear fender polished out just fine... There is certainly something to be said for a nice light, manageable ducktail, I have to admit that.

DSC01514.jpg

Is that some sort of Gurney flap on the rear end of the tail. How do you know it achieves the desired result? Just curious.

That is exactly what it is. Do I know it works? Intuitively, I am pretty sure it works, but how beneficial and at what drag cost is totally unclear. Call it an educated guess. The IROC pattern wing is probably the best tail you can get short of a 3.8RSR wing and the like and mine already has a pronounced flick up at the back unlike most of the ones from the US (see a picture of Andy P's for example) and I am not really adding all that much to it. I have seen them on 2 race cars - the Rothmans SCRS on the cover of Bruce Anderson's book and on a Jagermeister RSR replica. Its also pretty close in concept to the little pop up spoilers on the Cayman/Boxster and the spoiler on the TVR Sagaris.

It produced a pretty decent rooster tail in the wet at Spa by all accounts so its doing something (and I can easily take it off). I have had some stick about having 2 plastic rear windows from a certain Mr Cohen :)

post-3-1299253526_thumb.jpg

post-3-1299253847_thumb.jpg