Recommended Oil Level for a trackday

SlickV8

Its been suggested to me that the best oil level for a trackday is just half full.........anyone agree or otherwise with this?

I'm driving from Stockport to the ring, 3 days playing then driving back. Obviously i cant easily drain the oil when i get there but whats the danger of having it full??

Also, i'm running 17" wheels with factory standard pressures at the moment. Any suggestions on initial trackday pressures would be appreciated. In my 355 I run the rears at 26psi [down 10% from 29] to make sure she grips and i've been told in the past that a drop of circa 20% is advisable on track!

The 911 lists F29 and R36 for 16" wheels. Its fine for normal driving, I know i'll need to play with them on track to optimise but i'm thinking 36 is high for track work...30 or 32 as a starting point perhaps??

thanks

Try running 36 at the rear measured when the tyres are up to temperature, but I would probably go down to 34 hot. The correct way to gauge the correct pressure is to measure the temp across the whole tread with the intension of heating an even spread. Too much heat in the centre, lower the pressure and vice versa.

As for oil level; as long as you have no leaks in the system (in which case you shouldn't be on track anyway) then you need as much oil as possible for improved cooling. I would run at least 3/4 on the gauge.

When are you going?

Bank Hol weekend...6am ferry from dover on the friday then back via rotterdam monday night....theres about 5 or 6 cars [various] going if your up for it?

Try running 36 at the rear measured when the tyres are up to temperature, but I would probably go down to 34 hot. The correct way to gauge the correct pressure is to measure the temp across the whole tread with the intension of heating an even spread. Too much heat in the centre, lower the pressure and vice versa.

As for oil level; as long as you have no leaks in the system (in which case you shouldn't be on track anyway) then you need as much oil as possible for improved cooling. I would run at least 3/4 on the gauge.

great thanks Nick. I think it'd be worth investing in a heat guage thing?

Is it important to keep a 7psi gap front to rear??

Bank Hol weekend...6am ferry from dover on the friday then back via rotterdam monday night....theres about 5 or 6 cars [various] going if your up for it

I'm there on the 23rd

I run 17" and aim for 34psi hot all round.

sounds a plan, many thanks.

I'm there on the 23rd

I've seen the thread. sorry i cant make that one, i'd like to have a few laps without traffic. Maybe next year?

The guys i go with make 4 or 5 trips a year of between 1 and 5 days. I'll post next years suggested dates once they're pencilled in if anyone fancies coming along or merging another trip with ours.

Have fun.