930 workshop manual

stuart911

The 930 has been neglected, not only is the drivers manual shared with the SC (how mean is that!) but also the workshop manual. Shame!

Seems that any 930 workshop manual you buy only has the differences from the SC and not the whole thing. So you have to buy the SC manual too. OK, I suppose that's fair enough but you can't get a Haynes exclusive SC manual. You get the whole range form 65 and so many bits are not applicable cos they're the earlier models or the bits you want are left out.

I think the only comprehensive one you can get is the Bentley series (as everyone's been rightly telling me) and they're expensive although if you're doing-it-yourself you'll be saving money on garage prices and can afford to lash out.

Personally I don't like electronic manuals, I prefer to have something in my mucky hand but, in the absence of a 930 workshop manual, I believed the hype and bought a 930 CD from Ebay which promised me the earth but it was actually a waste of money. OK, it was only a fiver but still... Why? I could have gotten the same and better info from Cannell who have free downloads on all Porsche workshop manuals. The parts list, which also has useful diagrams, I could have gotten from the Porsche website. The Cannell pdfs that cover the individal sections have really clear pics, (unlike the CD I bought) and differentiate between the 3.0 and 3.3 distinctely, (unlike the CD I bought!). At least it genuinely covers the 930 differences so it's better than nothing.

So, not wishing to lay out for a Bentley book yet (false economy probably), I've downloaded the 930, the Carrera 84-89 and the 65-83 911 manuals to see if all the jobs I have to do are covered there. Probably the Carrera manual won't be of much use as there were so many changes on that model but it's a newer publication so the pics are very clear. I also have a Haynes restoration manual and I just bought 101 Projects so that ought to do it. If not, I'll bite the bullet and get th Bentley SC

So, as a suggestion, for workshop manuals, road tests etc, go to www.cannell.co.uk

Edited by stuart911

The 930 has been neglected, not only is the drivers manual shared with the SC (how mean is that!) but also the workshop manual. Shame!

Seems that any 930 workshop manual you buy only has the differences from the SC and not the whole thing. So you have to buy the SC manual too. OK, I suppose that's fair enough but you can't get a Haynes exclusive SC manual. You get the whole range form 65 and so many bits are not applicable cos they're the earlier models or the bits you want are left out.

I think the only comprehensive one you can get is the Bentley series (as everyone's been rightly telling me) and they're expensive although if you're doing-it-yourself you'll be saving money on garage prices and can afford to lash out.

Personally I don't like electronic manuals, I prefer to have something in my mucky hand but, in the absence of a 930 workshop manual, I believed the hype and bought a 930 CD from Ebay which promised me the earth but it was actually a waste of money. OK, it was only a fiver but still... Why? I could have gotten the same and better info from Cannell who have free downloads on all Porsche workshop manuals. The parts list, which also has useful diagrams, I could have gotten from the Porsche website. The Cannell pdfs that cover the individal sections have really clear pics, (unlike the CD I bought) and differentiate between the 3.0 and 3.3 distinctely, (unlike the CD I bought!). At least it genuinely covers the 930 differences so it's better than nothing.

So, not wishing to lay out for a Bentley book yet (false economy probably), I've downloaded the 930, the Carrera 84-89 and the 65-83 911 manuals to see if all the jobs I have to do are covered there. Probably the Carrera manual won't be of much use as there were so many changes on that model but it's a newer publication so the pics are very clear. I also have a Haynes restoration manual and I just bought 101 Projects so that ought to do it. If not, I'll bite the bullet and get th Bentley SC

So, as a suggestion, for workshop manuals, road tests etc, go to www.cannell.co.uk

I am fortunate to have a full set of Porsche 911 workshop manuals up to 1989, including 2 on the 930, and whilst I agree that it is irritating that Porsche have done it this way, it is teutonically logical! Having said that, there is a vast amount of data to trawl through if you're not sure what you're doing.

FWIW, when you own a 930, it is those sections that are unique to the model - essentially the whole engine and drive train - that you are likely to be scratching your head over. I cheat, and use a Haynes manual in conjunction with the 930 specific Porsche manuals... and when it all looks too daunting, I phone a friend who knows his 930s inside out - I learnt a long time ago that DIY is not always the cheapest option!

I cheat, and use a Haynes manual in conjunction with the 930 specific Porsche manuals... and when it all looks too daunting, I phone a friend who knows his 930s inside out - I learnt a long time ago that DIY is not always the cheapest option!

And of course make use of the expertise on this forum..... ;)

I'll be doing that a lot given my list of jobs :rolleyes: