Jamie's 3.2 - ongoing diary

JLewis

amazing how much stuff has to be undone and out of the way just to remove a heat shield! worth doing though :)

certainly is! I'd read that the fronts were a bit more involved so decided (for once!), to do the difficult bit first! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Drivers side front heatshield removed last night. Went a lot easier than the passenger side after I worked out what's involved!

Started removing the front bumper for bit of a tidy up on the valence and front wing edges. Once it's off, I'll get the car turned round in the garage and the rear brake sheilds off. End of season play list continues... :)

Drivers side front heatshield removed last night. Went a lot easier than the passenger side after I worked out what's involved!

Started removing the front bumper for bit of a tidy up on the valence and front wing edges. Once it's off, I'll get the car turned round in the garage and the rear brake sheilds off. End of season play list continues... :)

Hi Jamie

Why are you doing this?

Cheers

Nathan

Hi Jamie

Why are you doing this?

Cheers

Nathan

Hi Nathan - i need to tidy up the valance and there is also a little surface corrosion showing around the bellows and the wee closing panel between the wing, bellow and valance. Decided best option was to remove the bumper. I'm also planning to tackle some slight bubbling around the windscreens, but wanted to have shot at somewhere a little less obvious first. hopefully with it being black, the paint will be a relatively straight forward match. will see how it goes :)

Cheers, Jamie

Hi Nathan - i need to tidy up the valance and there is also a little surface corrosion showing around the bellows and the wee closing panel between the wing, bellow and valance. Decided best option was to remove the bumper. I'm also planning to tackle some slight bubbling around the windscreens, but wanted to have shot at somewhere a little less obvious first. hopefully with it being black, the paint will be a relatively straight forward match. will see how it goes :)

Cheers, Jamie

Very sensible mate - I did a similar thing a while back and was pleased with the result. Hard to get "blow ins" perfect with metallics but far better than watching some surface rust get worse.... :angry:

got the car turned round so that i have room to tackle the rear brake shields. In the air and both wheels off. Back discs are in much better condition than the front and they also received new pads back in May. looks like it will just be new discs and pads for the front.

drivers side shield removed today which for some reason was a real pain to do. Lower caliper bolt was awkward to get at with the socket set but managed eventually to get enough leverage on a 19mm spanner to loosen the bolt off. Caliper out the way and disc off. Two of the three retaining bolts on the shield were ok, but sheared the lowe one which the nut located on the inner side of the mechanism in a kind recess area. Will need to drill it off i think.

3 shields down and 1 to go...

• 1 month later...

posted separately about taking the front windscreen out to have a look at some of the paint bubbling issues. This is what was underneath:

windscreen out:

DSC_0324.jpg

and...

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

While there looks to be plenty of the brown stuff there, it looks to be pretty much just surface which is a relief. There is also some of the passenger side pillar which was evidenced by visible paint bubbling when the screen was in, so glad i took it out.

Now just need to fix it!

In the nick of time by the looks of it! :signs118:

yep, i think so :)

there was also a brief debate on the sealant i found (which looks like it may have been there from installation, rather than to sort a leak:

DSC_0331.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

this box arrived just before Christmas

DSC_0333.jpg

and inside was...

DSC_0336.jpg

my new to me Turbo Thomas rear silencer and pre silcencer thingy (Thanks again Nige :) )

another wee job added to the to do list. The current silencer has rusted through at the tailpipe. May wait until its back on the road to fit it (around April time).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

bit more progress on the front windscreen sealant removal. Its just been a case of scraping it off piece by piece which has been very slow work. other than one very slight perforation, its just been surface corrosion so will be able to the get that seen to, new seal ordered and screen back in. Also made enquiries to get the angle of the TT rear silence pipe altered, really just for aesthetics. getting there, but slowly. really need to get it back out on the road.

• 2 months later...

I've finally had some time to tackle the bubbling issues round the front screen.

Started like this which doesn't look too bad:

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

The easiest way for me to remove the windscreen was to cut the old seal enough to enable the glass to be lifted out. Underneath though was this:

DSC_0329.jpg

w4.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

Thankfully all surface corrosion, so really just got stuck in, removed the corrosion starting the with the aperture first which was then fulled treated with rust prevention paint, then onto the visible areas to feather the paint as best I could and added some kurust where needed:

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

With the kurust left to work its magic, it was then onto the painting. I was advised to use rolled masking tape at the edges to fade paint in, rather the straight edge of the tape down flat. This seemed to work pretty well.

three layers of epoxy primer, lightly flatted back, three coats of normal grey primer, which i then keyed when dry.

w9.jpg

w8.jpg

In terms of the top coat, this was done with a rattle can. I left the can in hot water to heat the paint, was sure to shake can for the prescribed 2 minutes prior to use, and it seemed to go on ok. The canister had some kind of rubber insert which gave a very fine controlled spray. I did two coats the first evening, leaving it for about 10 minutes between the two coats. The next day I then flatted back using 1200 wet and dry, masked up, degreased etc then put a further four coats of top coat on, again leaving about 10 minutes between coats.

I left it a week to harden and then started the process of using a mixture of 1200 wet and dry (lots of water and very light pressure), cutting paste, and polish to blend the paint, remove any imperfections and bring the shine out.

My garage also has the house boiler system in the corner so it was relatively warm in there. The finished result, while certainly not perfect by any means, is pretty reasonable for a first attempt and given the use of ratttle cans:

w19.jpg

w11.jpg

w10.jpg

Next up was reinstall the windscreen. This took a few attempts to fit all the way round with two helpers applying pressure as needed while i removed the rope from the seal and tweaked the seal into position very gently with a screwdriver. We started from the bottom of the screen in the middle working each way a bit a time until the rope came out at the top. The edges of the seal still need a tweak, but this will be sorted.

Finally, it was in:

w12.jpg

The rear screen aperture has the same bubbling issues, but thats a job for next winter i reckon!

Also, all four brake heatshields are now off, and with a couple of other small jobs to do, it should be MOT'd by the end of the month.

Edited by JLewis

I've finally had some time to tackle the bubbling issues round the front screen.

Started like this which doesn't look too bad:

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

The easiest way for me to remove the windscreen was to cut the old seal enough to enable the glass to be lifted out. Underneath though was this:

DSC_0329.jpg

w4.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

Thankfully all surface corrosion, so really just got stuck in, removed the corrosion starting the with the aperture first which was then fulled treated with rust prevention paint, then onto the visible areas to feather the paint as best I could and added some kurust where needed:

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

With the kurust left to work its magic, it was then onto the painting. I was advised to use rolled masking tape at the edges to fade paint in, rather the straight edge of the tape down flat. This seemed to work pretty well.

three layers of epoxy primer, lightly flatted back, three coats of normal grey primer, which i then keyed when dry.

w9.jpg

w8.jpg

In terms of the top coat, this was done with a rattle can. I left the can in hot water to heat the paint, was sure to shake can for the prescribed 2 minutes prior to use, and it seemed to go on ok. The canister had some kind of rubber insert which gave a very fine controlled spray. I did two coats the first evening, leaving it for about 10 minutes between the two coats. The next day I then flatted back using 1200 wet and dry, masked up, degreased etc then put a further four coats of top coat on, again leaving about 10 minutes between coats.

I left it a week to harden and then started the process of using a mixture of 1200 wet and dry (lots of water and very light pressure), cutting paste, and polish to blend the paint, remove any imperfections and bring the shine out.

My garage also has the house boiler system in the corner so it was relatively warm in there. The finished result, while certainly not perfect by any means, is pretty reasonable for a first attempt and given the use of ratttle cans:

w19.jpg

w11.jpg

w10.jpg

Next up was reinstall the windscreen. This took a few attempts to fit all the way round with two helpers applying pressure as needed while i removed the rope from the seal and tweaked the seal into position very gently with a screwdriver. We started from the bottom of the screen in the middle working each way a bit a time until the rope came out at the top. The edges of the seal still need a tweak, but this will be sorted.

Finally, it was in:

w12.jpg

The rear screen aperture has the same bubbling issues, but thats a job for next winter i reckon!

Also, all four brake heatshields are now off, and with a couple of other small jobs to do, it should be MOT'd by the end of the month.

:signs118:

Well done, the Scottish weather taking it's toll over the years! At least it looks like you have stopped it in it's tracks....I'd be inclined to try to get the rear window attended to asap....but easier said than done no doubt!

Well done mate - looks like a good finish.

thanks!

:signs118:

cheers!

Well done, the Scottish weather taking it's toll over the years! At least it looks like you have stopped it in it's tracks....I'd be inclined to try to get the rear window attended to asap....but easier said than done no doubt!

thanks! rear definitely needs done pronto, but i really want to get it back out on the road as well.

great work mate - feels good to roll it out the garage again after a mission like that.

Hope the MOT goes well :)

Cheers Jevvy!

only one reaction to the below tonight when i saw it, and thats 'ssssshhhhhhheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiittttttttttteee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

cracked.jpg

screen went in ok last sunday, was at the car again Friday evening and all was well. Went out to the garage this evening to do some more minor things in MOT prep and found this. Not good. its cracked pretty much from the bottom to the top so can only assume its a mixture of brittle glass, and it was under pressure the way it was put in (not sure how though?)

No insurance cover for the glass and a phone call to autowindscreens and they are wanting £320 for the glass fitted at home. Probably fairly reasonable but on top of the new insurance policy due to be started at the weekend, MOT, tax an MOT contingency fund, its just a no goer at the moment due to funds :(

So, going to keep it off the road for the remainder of what is the summer, tackle the rear screen and some other bits n pieces, get it MOT'd fairly early on next year and go from there...

What a nightmare for you Jamie....sorry to see this! Look on the bright side though....might give you the extra time to tackle some of the jobs that you were thinking of....and not having to freeze your n*ts off doing it during the winter instead!

On second thoughts....who needs a windscreen anyway....it would probably be quieter without the windscreen than mine is with the whistling targa top in place! Next on my job list I think (when funds permit!)

All the best and hope you're back on the road again soon!

Rich.

What a nightmare for you Jamie....sorry to see this! Look on the bright side though....might give you the extra time to tackle some of the jobs that you were thinking of....and not having to freeze your n*ts off doing it during the winter instead!

On second thoughts....who needs a windscreen anyway....it would probably be quieter without the windscreen than mine is with the whistling targa top in place! Next on my job list I think (when funds permit!)

All the best and hope you're back on the road again soon!

Rich.

Thanks Rich, thats appreciated. It certainly creates an opportunity to get some bits and pieces sorted, and some funds if its going back on laid up insurance!