Hi everyone

I am about to undertake doing a service on my 1983 sc and am looking for advice on what to do apart from the obvious. This is the first time I have serviced one of these so any advice on what to check adjust and replace would be well appreciated.

Cheers Sean

There are probably others out there who will chip in with their own ideas of what to check over and above the normal oil & air filters, plugs etc but here are a couple of things I'd look at (I'll probably think of more at 3am and forget to write them down!!)

1. Put loads of rags below the oil filter, when the filter comes off there's always oil running out of it.

2. Take a note of the way the sump plate comes off as it will probably only go back one way (it only fits one way on my 1978 SC due to the oil pick-up and the position of the wire mesh strainer on the sump plate).

3. Take time to check fuses in their holders, especially the fuel pump fuse (#16) as it can melt at the ends and end up shorter - barely touching the edges of the fuse holder.

4. Visually check all the rubber/flexible hoses on top of the engine as a cracked or split hose could cause problems.

5. If you "do" the tappets I'd recommend the backside method if you know what I mean. :morning:

There are probably others out there who will chip in with their own ideas of what to check over and above the normal oil & air filters, plugs etc but here are a couple of things I'd look at (I'll probably think of more at 3am and forget to write them down!!)

1. Put loads of rags below the oil filter, when the filter comes off there's always oil running out of it.

2. Take a note of the way the sump plate comes off as it will probably only go back one way (it only fits one way on my 1978 SC due to the oil pick-up and the position of the wire mesh strainer on the sump plate).

3. Take time to check fuses in their holders, especially the fuel pump fuse (#16) as it can melt at the ends and end up shorter - barely touching the edges of the fuse holder.

4. Visually check all the rubber/flexible hoses on top of the engine as a cracked or split hose could cause problems.

5. If you "do" the tappets I'd recommend the backside method if you know what I mean. :morning:

ok thats good advice thanks for that grant, I dont know what you mean by the backside method??? could you explain or recomend a book that i could get to work from.

cheers Sean.

Search Pelican for backside method, its just a different angle of approach with the feeler gauge for setting the valve clearances. I do it the regular way with the Porsche tool (cheap enough or even make one) and find it easy enough, its just time consuming.

Don't forget to check your brakes, pads, rotors, fluid, etc

Fuel filter if history unknown

Do set the plug gaps

Maybe change the gearbox oil and check the linkages

Lube the door hinges, latches, etc

Personally I look at servicing as an ongoing thing, basically when I know I have a spare bit of cash and more importantly spare time I set a little or large task depending on the cash and time factor.

As Nige says the "backside" method is different from the conventional method of setting the tappets in as much as you check the clearance between the cam and the cam follower side of the rocker arm not the tappet and the end of the valve stem. It is a "Go" or "No Go" method.

post-927-1287060498_thumb.jpg

Some find the "backside" method easier, some don't, personally I prefered it. The Pelican article Nige mentioned is here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...valveadjust.htm but you will need to be a Pelican Forum member to be able to read it.

There is another "method" using a special tool (screwdriver with 2 indicators 36 degrees apart) never used it myself but it looks easy enough. You can purchase the tool for about $20 or possibly make your own. See here for an explanation:

Also as Nige said I see "Servicing" as an ongoing thing, I am always tinkering, cleaning and checking bits and pieces, but do keep records of everything you do as it all adds to the provenence of the car and is worth looking back now and again to what you did when.

Good luck.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.