Impact Bumpers
BenC

Ben's Silver SC

post-1575-1287948474_thumb.jpg

bit of a dark pic but it was getting late!

Introducing my new SC :rolleyes:

picked it up today, from Kent.

Both engine and gear box have recently had quite a bit of work done and it was a pleasure to drive the two and a half hours home.

Engine feels great, pulls really strong.

had a few issues with the gear changing - getting used to the new pattern etc (different from my 3.2). but I'll post questions over in the right place.

1979. Sunroof, SSIs, turbo tie bars and track rod ends, stainless brake hoses, pop off valve, Swepco.

16 inch rims - 6's on the front and 7's on the back. and I am sure there is other stuff I haven't discovered yet! (good and bad!)

interior is a deep red, Burgundy colour! which I quite like, but the plan is for it all to come out. There has been some leaking from the front and rear screens in the recent past and you can still smell the damp inside - both screens and seals have been replaced so the problems themselves should be all sorted now - but will investigate.

There is definitely work to be done - bodywork has it's fair share of blisters, which I knew about

The petrol light is on all the time - suppose that might be a bad earth or a new sender unit requred perhaps?

so, like a saddo, I've spent the evening reading through the history file and trying to learn about it's past!

and how the heater levers work! and what the random nobby on the dash does which doesn't seem to be in the manual!!!

lots of plans in my head and am looking forward to having a bit of time towards the end of the week to really start to get amongst it!

must give a shout out to Jev - I've been phoning him at all hours of the night and sending him pics of cars asking for his advice - I really appreciate your help mate, so thanks very much (expect a knock on your door and to find me with a long list of things to ask soon!!)

and a big thanks to Mark, Carreracat, for taking a look at the car for me and all the photos - much appreciated.

exciting times ahead! :mad jg:

Edited by BenC

post-1575-1287948474_thumb.jpg

exciting times ahead! :mad jg:

nice one mate , looks like a fun project

Good work Ben, car looks like a great base for your project. Looking forward to this one.

So c'mon, spill the beans - wassit going to end up as & when does the work start?

Good work Ben, car looks like a great base for your project. Looking forward to this one.

So c'mon, spill the beans - wassit going to end up as & when does the work start?

Basic plan is to head for a track car

strip all the interior, then neaten up what's left.

2x light as possible front bucket seats (but the nice shiny new ones are v expensive aren't they!)

Rear half cage welded in.

Then harnesses. (don't know much about making that happen yet - more reading to do!)

Lowered.

Get rid of electric window stuff and go for manual winders

The dash pad is a bit fecked, so am going to recover that.

Fit the duck tail I was planning to put not the Targa , spray it first obviously!

Going to make a bracket out of ali and fit a battery disconnect.

And I'm going to use some yellow electrical tape to put a band around the top middle of the steering wheel like all the cool kids have!!!!

That's the start of the fun stuff.

Also

Need to do other stuff like check all the window and sunroof seals, as I don't really believe they are 100% watertight, but will be much easier to see once the interior is out.

There is defo some body work that needs addressing, and some random little things (petrol light stays on, alarm is defunked, have different keys for the ignition and the doors so i think you can buy a kit to get all the barrels to match tp one key - but the other stuff sounds a lot more fun!

Plan to get into the interior stuff end of this week :ani_clapping:

Edited by BenC

after a couple of track days.. top man..

Get rid of electric window stuff and go for manual winders

I'm sure I was told there was no difference between the two

Fit the duck tail

there common dontcha know (me too)

And I'm going to use some yellow electrical tape to put a band around the top middle of the steering wheel like all the cool kids have!!!!

supertrick :ani_clapping:

I think the manual winders fit into the same window mechanism, don't they? As in I don't think I'll need to get any other bits to make that work. The mechanism motors must weigh quite a bit I would think?

Guess i got to the square of if I didn't go for it and build a track car then there would always be a thousand reasons why not to in the future.

Always wanted to do it, so I'm going to give it a go :rolleyes:

Then at least I'll have a point of reference rather than regretting never doing it!

Suppose I'll be looking at suspension and engine/gear box mounts in the future as well - all good fun!

AND

Just realized that I joined IB.com 3 years ago tomorrow.

Seems fitting to have picked up the SC on this anniversary :D

Edited by BenC

hi ben, how did you get there? train & taxi? it's a bit out of the way!

Very understanding girlfriend drove her car back!

RPM have built a very nice SC track car. The car has a stock 1980 SC motor but is incredibly well set up. The suspension, differential and braking improvements have made the car an excellent track car. At a recent Silverstone track day it demonstrated the importance of setup over power.

I think the manual winders fit into the same window mechanism, don't they? As in I don't think I'll need to get any other bits to make that work. The mechanism motors must weigh quite a bit I would think?

No I think you need a different mechanism (Teaboy will confirm or deny this).

Basic plan is to head for a track car

Fit the duck tail I was planning to put not the Targa , spray it first obviously!

If it's trackday car fit a proper tail (C3/Carrera 3.2/Turbo teatray) ;)

If it's trackday car fit a proper tail (C3/Carrera 3.2/Turbo teatray) ;)

Or fill the ducktail with lead for a similar effect on weight distribution... :P

To switch to manual windows all you need are the manual window lift arms and handles. There will be some weight saving as the motors, switches and ancilliary wiring can all be dispensed with. Trick is finding a good pair of second hand manual window lifters. Porsche handles are daft money, Perkles has fitted some from a VW Golf which are a fraction of the price.

To switch to manual windows all you need are the manual window lift arms and handles.

You make it sound so easy.

Well it is. Nice little job for a warm Sunday morning.....

No I mean finding a reasonably priced pair of manual lifting mechanisms !

Right, back on task this afternoon.

First things first, got the car weighed at the local Recycling Dump place.

Starting point set at bang on 1200 kgs, with about a third of a tank of fuel on board.

Brain has been working on a 'to do' list:

Ordered a Bentley manual for the SC.

Petrol light stays on, so will disassemble sender unit, check earth.

Make battery cut off bracket out of ali and fit.

Remove engine and boot lid lights and wiring.

Remove speakers, wires and head unit - have figured a circuit that will run an iPod through one speaker with no need for a head unit or mains battery feed, just runs off a 9v battery. Nice to have some tunes on long journeys to and from track.

Swap round sunroof switch, currently back to front.

Rotate speedo.

Clock drains battery, so remove and do air vent mod.

Replace sunroof seal and check unblock drain holes.

Grease sun roof mechanism, done this afternoon - sounds less screwed than before! Still needs more work though.

Get rid of bonnet shock and replace with hand made bonnet rod. Ordered parts, should get on to a lathe within the next week to turn up some ali rod.

Front strut brace - need to source.

Valance with cooling ducts in - future job!

Check oil level, when warm, think it's been overfilled.

Spacers for rear.

Small battery, reading plenty about Braile and Odessy batteries! And relocate?

fibreglass dash top covered in flock? As mine is warped, although i think i can work on the one i have,

Rear fog light swap, currently have the two hanging below the bumper, will be moving to within main lights.

Rear wing to come off and be replaced by ducktail, rear wiper delete.

Rear over riders delete.

Maybe delete flag mirrors and go for some of those that fit flush to small front quarter light windows (can't remember what they were called or where people sourced them from)

2x bucket seats and harnesses. Been looking into Sparco Evo's.... But not sure about what size Evo's would fit? And all decent seats seem v spendy new! So on the look out for some second hand.

Steering wheel replacement?? Think I need to figure something eventually as my knees are too close to the wheel. New seat height / different steering wheel position?

Ride heights etc.

DIY plastic/ lexan windows.

Install fire extinguisher.

Head lining to come out.

Make new thin door cards. Think I'll use black foamex. Need to make / source the bits to make it work.

Manual window winders and mechanism.

I realize that alot of these 'big' things are budget dependant, so am trying to do all the less costly stuff first.

Ripped out everything behind the seats this afternoon, nothing left apart from metal. Needs cleaning up so got some petrol for that job tomorrow. Sound deadening was proper weighty, and soaking wet from previous rear screen leak.

Great fun finally getting amongst it!!!

Started to look closer at gear stick mechanism, understanding better already!

There will be quit a lot coming out as I go and I'll try and keep everything as nice as possible. So an old school burgundy interior going spare soon! And rear lid with tea tray spoiler etc All donations for the roll cage, harnesses and bucket seats fund welcome!

(and i need two new front wings, thinking of going straight to fibreglass.)

Pics of naked interior to follow tomorrow :)

Ps

Obviuosly, if anyone has any good leads to any of the parts, well priced or FOC then please let me know.

Many thanks

Ben

Edited by BenC

Sounds like all good fun mate. Looking forward to seeing the progress on another project car.

Must be nice having 2 IB's!!

Anthony.

Sounds like all good fun mate. Looking forward to seeing the progress on another project car.

Must be nice having 2 IB's!!

Anthony.

Had so much fun this afternoon - boyhood dream come true messing with my own project car.

Think it's the learning new things - such a buzz.

Feel very fortunate. :)

Nice one Ben... Looking forward to reading about the project progress :)

Looks like your going to have some fun Ben, nice colour as well, same as my old SC.

Edited by strosek34

Comments on your comments:

Brain has been working on a 'to do' list:

Rotate speedo. - very important!

Get rid of bonnet shock and replace with hand made bonnet rod. Ordered parts, should get on to a lathe within the next week to turn up some ali rod. - Steel bonnets are heavy - make sure you do a sturdy prop

Front strut brace - need to source. - wait till you see one cheap or make one.

Small battery, reading plenty about Braile and Odessy batteries! And relocate? - I'd leave it where it is

Rear fog light swap, currently have the two hanging below the bumper, will be moving to within main lights. - dont think you need one - its post 1980 I think you need a rear fog light(The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of

vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980.) http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm

2x bucket seats and harnesses. Been looking into Sparco Evo's.... But not sure about what size Evo's would fit? And all decent seats seem v spendy new! So on the look out for some second hand. Too rich for me new - both my sets have been 2nd hand (evo 2 and SPG) welcome to come and have a try of both.

Steering wheel replacement?? Think I need to figure something eventually as my knees are too close to the wheel. New seat height / different steering wheel position? You can get extra spacers for the mounts used to fit an after market wheel - have them on both of mine and do help with clearance but you need long fingers for the indicator stalk.

Ride heights etc. - probably wait till you do bushes to do this as its almost as much work for the rear to do them at the same time.

DIY plastic/ lexan windows - thinking you might have a good source for this material?

Manual window winders and mechanism. - good luck finding the parts :) What about making some window straps instead - again not much more work if you are doing placcy windows.

Ripped out everything behind the seats this afternoon, nothing left apart from metal. Needs cleaning up so got some petrol for that job tomorrow. Sound deadening was proper weighty, and soaking wet from previous rear screen leak.

Great fun finally getting amongst it!!! - COOL!

Started to look closer at gear stick mechanism, understanding better already! - try loosening the bolts and tap the base of the shifter about a bit - it will move a few mm in most directions and you may well get a better shift if you can be bothered to trial and error it.

(and i need two new front wings, thinking of going straight to fibreglass.) - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-911-73-89-FR...09#ht_500wt_922

Obviuosly, if anyone has any good leads to any of the parts, well priced or FOC then please let me know. - just get some saved searches setup on the bay and sit back and wait!

Good work sonna - sounds like you are having fun!

Nice work Ben!

I just realised I have had my SC Coupe for 1 year and 3 weeks already and I have done loads to it in that time:

Rear fog delete

Fix leaking wasker bottle

Spacers on rear

Swap seats

.......oh hang on, thats not actually very much is it?

Hope you get more done than me!

had a great day on the car today, made some messy / good progress!

interior has gone from this:

post-1575-1288373090_thumb.jpg

to this (only the seats left, next I'm going to attack the dash!):

post-1575-1288373390_thumb.jpg

and:

post-1575-1288374011_thumb.jpg

now needs cleaning up with petrol - tomorrows job

and:

post-1575-1288373406_thumb.jpg.

there is loads of old dead wiring - looks like there was once central locking and a half decent alarm.

all of which has previously been cut out of the system in order to get things working after a fault.

so I've had all that out!

bonnet shocks are knackered and doing my head in, good job this turned up this morning:

post-1575-1288373687_thumb.jpg

how does water end up coming out of these slots in the underside of the bonnet? bonnet seal shafted?:

post-1575-1288373762_thumb.jpg

(and I had the clock out!!! vital bit of weight saving :))

Anyone got a good source for a decent fire extinguisher which is held into it's bracket by ratchet strap and not just push fit?

Edited by BenC