Ben's Silver SC

BenC

Thanks very much for the advice.

Ben

Also - seems like there are two washer bottles in the front wing - one larger one lower down, one smaller one on top.

But if the top one is the intensive then were does it fill up from???

Edited by BenC

The top one is the expansion tank for the fuel vapour from the petrol tank. Either leave alone or replace with a valve and risk a bit of fuel vapour whiff on hot sunny days (remember those?).

Thanks for the info, couldn't figure what the top tank was for!

Sunny days seem a long way off at the moment don't they!

The top one is the expansion tank for the fuel vapour from the petrol tank. Either leave alone or replace with a valve and risk a bit of fuel vapour whiff on hot sunny days (remember those?).

Sorry to intervene on your thread Ben. I like this option Tripe. What valve do I use?

These sound like the wiring to the heater controls. Do they 4 pin white plugs?

Yes Nick,

One was a light grey covered group of 4 wires that had a White plug on one end which went through the bulkhead behind the glovebox,

the other was a thicker group of wires with a single black covering with the part number 911 612 152 01 which went through the bulkhead up behind the ignition switch, this also had a white plastic plug on the end.

Would they both have been part of the electric heater controls?

Sorry to intervene on your thread Ben. I like this option Tripe. What valve do I use?

Take your pick:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/FUEL-SYS..._215/index.html

I used this one in mine and just drilled a hole and screwed it into the top of the expansion tank.

m-trv67.jpg

PS. fast work on the car Ben - you still loving it?

Catch up after crimbo eh?

Take your pick:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/FUEL-SYS..._215/index.html

I used this one in mine and just drilled a hole and screwed it into the top of the expansion tank.

m-trv67.jpg

PS. fast work on the car Ben - you still loving it?

Catch up after crimbo eh?

Hi Jev,

Still enjoying the SC very much, although I was questioning what on earth I was doing as I dug the snow away from the garage door to go inside and work on the car!

It's at an 'interesting' stage at the moment - the weight is coming off and the ride height is going up, so when I took it out for a spirited drive the other day I managed to lock up the front and skid the car! Was v low on fuel as well though, so the front was very light!

Can you explain to me the function of the valve?

What's the benefit if you still have to have the expansion tank in the wing - so no weight saving?

What am I missing here?!

Let's catch up after Christmas :D

The valve is instead of the carbon cannister and allows the small breather tank to breathe without leaving a hole that would allow fuel to spill out if you put it on its roof.

If you seal the fuel system and dont have any vent then you get fuel tank pressurisation issues which could labour the fuel pump/implode,explode the tank itself.

The valve is instead of the carbon cannister and allows the small breather tank to breathe without leaving a hole that would allow fuel to spill out if you put it on its roof.

This is on my to-do list of mods.

If you seal the fuel system and dont have any vent then you get fuel tank pressurisation issues which could labour the fuel pump/implode,explode the tank itself.

I haven't figured out where the carbon canister is yet, but i get the role of the valve.

Is there a line out of the expansion tank which you remove and the valve goes in there?

Or is the route- fuel tank, canister, expansion tank?!

Always lots to learn!

IIRC it goes Fuel tank>expansion tank>charcoal cannister

If you ditch the cannister (under RHS rear wheel arch if you have one) then you blank the feed to that from the expansion tank(small hose) and then drill a hole in the top of the expansion tank for the breather valve.

Not a very "green" mod but gets rid of some clutter.

IIRC it goes Fuel tank>expansion tank>charcoal cannister

If you ditch the cannister (under RHS rear wheel arch if you have one) then you blank the feed to that from the expansion tank(small hose) and then drill a hole in the top of the expansion tank for the breather valve.

Not a very "green" mod but gets rid of some clutter.

Okeydokey - I'm off to have a look at the car to find out more!

Thanks

Okeydokey - I'm off to have a look at the car to find out more!

Thanks

As it was proper cold and i wanted to keep the garage door shut i just couldn't fit down the side of the car to have a proper look at the expansion tank and other bits.

So...

Removed a few redundant fuses and neatened up a bit more wiring:

Have drilled holes though the rear bumper for new number plate lights - little, lightweight ones - need to extend the wires a bit and decided to buy a new rear plate tomorrow, couldn't see the point of sticking the manky old one back on!

Then attacked the door mirrors, knew they were electric, but also knew that there was no switch for them, so another thing that had been cut out of the loom at some point.

Got both mirrors off and removed the wires from inside the drivers door - there weren't any in the passenger door! Bit odd as there were in the mirror itself.

Got the mirrors apart to explore why they were so heavy. There's no heavy motor inside, they are just heavy!

Went a step to far and cut out all the bits from inside to then realise that's what tensions the mirror and keeps it in position!

Woops! :blush:

Still - learnt more stuff today, am loving getting to know the car!

Not so good - had the ignition on to check the polarity for the rear number plate lights - there is a high pitched noise from the engine bay, I'd say the passenger side, but hard to tell.

No idea what it is, presumably something's not happy????

It was there from the start but normally I'm in the car about to drive off so it was a bit quieter. It's quite loud really.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Ben

Edited by BenC

Not so good - had the ignition on to check the polarity for the rear number plate lights - there is a high pitched noise from the engine bay, I'd say the passenger side, but hard to tell.

No idea what it is, presumably something's not happy????

It was there from the start but normally I'm in the car about to drive off so it was a bit quieter. It's quite loud really.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Ben

Isn't that the CDI box whining ? if so then perfectly normal AFAIK

Edited by GaryH

Have a read here and here Ben. Your SC is old-skool, none of this 3.2 Motronic nonsense ;)

Perfect, thanks mate!

What makes something like this make a noise? Surely it can't of straight out of the factory? Is it components degrading?

Will give those links a read, I did have a search for CDI but nothing came back.

Thanks

Its the inverter in the CDI box that makes the noise - shouldn't be anything to worry about if the car is starting/running ok.

Steps up 12v to to about 450v.

Thanks mate! Seems to start up and run fine with the new lightweight battery. So no probs there..

Might be after some advice from you about changing my engine and gearbox mounts to the Superpros I bought the other day. Think I've got my head round how to do it, butnif I get stuck then I'll give you a shout :rolleyes:

I haven't figured out where the carbon canister is yet, but i get the role of the valve.

Is there a line out of the expansion tank which you remove and the valve goes in there?

Or is the route- fuel tank, canister, expansion tank?!

Always lots to learn!

There is no charcoal cannister on the SC.

It appears that the valve must be mounted vertically to work properly. So, it would seem to me that you ditch the expansion tank (if you have got rid of the washer bottle that's even less mud grabbing cr*p under the wing :ani_clapping:), fab a bracket for an in-line valve and screw it vertically to the inner wing, connect to the original vent tube from the fuel tank and then perhaps add another bit of tube to direct the fumes out under the car if you wanted to.

Somebody stop me if I'm wrong please :blink:

There is no charcoal cannister on the SC.

It appears that the valve must be mounted vertically to work properly. So, it would seem to me that you ditch the expansion tank (if you have got rid of the washer bottle that's even less mud grabbing cr*p under the wing :ani_clapping:), fab a bracket for an in-line valve and screw it vertically to the inner wing, connect to the original vent tube from the fuel tank and then perhaps add another bit of tube to direct the fumes out under the car if you wanted to.

Somebody stop me if I'm wrong please :blink:

Sounds about right to me - put the valve in place of the expansion tank on the end of the hose that comes from the fuel tank.

My only concerns were if the valve gets covered in crud, like everything else under there, then what stops it from not working or getting bunged up?

Just a thought - could it mount in the filler cap recess where the washer fluid neck used to mount (now that's been moved in board) - would be out of the way of all the crud yet still able to breath and release fumes. And I don't think it is too far away from where the hose exits the fuel tank either.....

Edited by BenC

Sounds about right to me - put the valve in place of the expansion tank on the end of the hose that comes from the fuel tank.

My only concerns were if the valve gets covered in crud, like everything else under there, then what stops it from not working or getting bunged up?

Just a thought - could it mount in the filler cap recess where the washer fluid neck used to mount (now that's been moved in board) - would be out of the way of all the crud yet still able to breath and release fumes. And I don't think it is too far away from where the hose exits the fuel tank either.....

If you go to the thinkautomotive web site you will find a good selection of these valves. They are available in a numbers of styles. They are often called 2 ball valves, ball and flap valves or tank breather valves.