Ethanol added to Shell V Power

targa6226

Have been using V Power in my 1988 911 Carrera since buying her a year ago with no problems. However, I understand Shell has now added 10% ethanol to its V power unleaded which is causing concern to older cars. Reports of fuel lines, seals and gaskets been eaten away have been made. Also, if not burnt but kept in your tank say over winter it is said that the fuel will increase in volume and ultimately seperate into water, low grade petrol and some alcohol.

The main concerns have come so far from owners of much older cars say pre -66 and vintage. Do you think we should be concerned in a 1980's car ?

Have been using V Power in my 1988 911 Carrera since buying her a year ago with no problems. However, I understand Shell has now added 10% ethanol to its V power unleaded which is causing concern to older cars. Reports of fuel lines, seals and gaskets been eaten away have been made. Also, if not burnt but kept in your tank say over winter it is said that the fuel will increase in volume and ultimately seperate into water, low grade petrol and some alcohol.

The main concerns have come so far from owners of much older cars say pre -66 and vintage. Do you think we should be concerned in a 1980's car ?

Easy, stop using V power, you don't need it.

the additives are bloody good though. my 139,000 mile engine was stripped as it was losing 30% compression on 3 cylinders and the car was running rough as a dogs arrrr5e but the garage couldn't believe how clean the valves were, hardly any deposits but you could see where some had been previously and that was, IMHO, after runni8ng on v power for 1500 miles.

saw an article years ago in evo where they opened a jag engine up, photo'd it, put it back together, ran it on v power for 1000 miles then opened up again.......previous deposits all gone. convinced me!

As I understand it ethanol has now been added at 10% to all fuels. Previously, the fuel company had to advertise this by marking the pump as containing E10. However, now fuel companies do not have to say if ethanol is in the fuel as long as it it 10% or below.My concern is if this is going to effect our era of car. Have a look at www.fbhvc.co.uk/bio-fuels/

Is the problem only for older cars or are all except moderns succeptable to ethanol solvents. Apparently, there is a "Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation" the requirement being that 5% of all road fuel is supplied from a renewable source.

I have read that ethanol draws water from moisture in the air which increases the water content in the fuel. This can be a problem if the fuel is stored say in a petrol tank over winter.

As I am no way an expert on this matter I just wondered if anyone thinks this is a problem or is there a bit of an over reaction to ethanol solvents for our era of car.

I've been prompted to start this topic because in reply to a letter in this month's Classic Car mag Phil Bell replies " Unfortunately, Shell now adds ethanol to its high octane V-Power fuel sold in the UK"

Cant say its ALL down to VPOWER but i run a '72 s as a daily driver[ except now in the salt] have eternal problems with rubber pipes every 12 -18months ..............have tried various differnt makers still need changing as they go mushy and close up under suction restricting flow ................if i am slow changing them have actually had dirty great big holes appear ...............fortunately i still have the power of smell!

Any constructive solutions graciously recieved .........................FYI i tend to use 1 tank of v power to 4 tanks of 'ordinary'unleaded

BTW certainly not alone in this , well known N London Indie cares for several oldies and all in the same boat !

Cant say its ALL down to VPOWER but i run a '72 s as a daily driver[ except now in the salt] have eternal problems with rubber pipes every 12 -18months ..............have tried various differnt makers still need changing as they go mushy and close up under suction restricting flow ................if i am slow changing them have actually had dirty great big holes appear ...............fortunately i still have the power of smell!

Any constructive solutions graciously recieved .........................FYI i tend to use 1 tank of v power to 4 tanks of 'ordinary'unleaded

BTW certainly not alone in this , well known N London Indie cares for several oldies and all in the same boat !

Your regular failure would cause me a great concern. Are you sure you have the correct grade hose?

Modern ‘rubber’ fuel hose should have some text confirming that it is fuel hose printed along the length – Usually ‘carburant universal’ or ‘suitable for unleaded petrol’. I have used this type of hose for many years using all types of unleaded petrol and even a few interesting blends of fuel. Apart from the odd length developing some external cracking I have never had a problem and certainly never had a fuel leak as a result of failed hoses. Fuel hose should be suitable for many different types of fuel including oil & alcohol based fuels. The 5 – 10% ethanol content should not cause any problems to the hose.

If you copy & paste the link below it should take you to Car Builder Solutions. They tend to supply parts for the kit car world but stock some useful parts including Gates hoses.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/rubber-fuel-hose-172-c.asp

I have spoken to Shell who confirm that all their fuels have 5% ethanol in them and that all fuel suppliers put in the same. Apparently, this is the first winter layup where cars have been using ethanol and there have been quite a few queries. If you leave the car over winter there is a strong possibility that the ethanol will seperate leaving sludge and a very weak petrol that may make it difficult to start come spring. Porsche seem to recommend that their cars should not use ethanol but it seems the stuff has been put in all fuels now anyway.

I have been recommended to add a product called STA-BIL which stops the fuel seperating. Have a look at Gold Eagle which explains more. I have bought some Sta-Bil from Holden and will see what happens.

• 2 months later...