Highbeams only

Haggis

Just picked up a 1988 Targa this past week and on the 983 mile drive home I discovered a problem with the headlights.

When the lights switch is pulled back to the firs setting the park lights come on :ani_clapping: but when pulled back to the second setting the high beams automatically come on even when the highbeam lever is not pushed forward to apply them. The blue highbeam indicator on the dash is on. There is no low beam.

On another note the cruise control does not work - again where to start?

Has anyone encountered this and where should I begin. Also is there a good guide to trouble shooting electrical issues for one without a clue on electrics????

Thanks

I had a similar, but not exactly the same, problem. The solution is here

Looking at this again Nick (haven't got round to doing it yet) and have a question. What normal operation is stopped by insulating the pin ? It looks like it would stop the full beam operation from working at all ?

32-dip-switch-06-600.jpg

:ani_clapping: Well done that man!

Thanks - from Portland, Oregon, US to Edmonton, AB, Canada. 17 hours non stop just for gas and food. Car ran really good for the most part. I had the oil changed before I left and no real issues for a car that hadn't been driven much in the last 6 months. I had to keep reminding myself - this car is 23 years old!

Only bad part was the high beam issue - especially when I was in snow storm coming through the Rockies. Big fluffy flakes of snow with high beams making them even more refelective. The occasional flash of lights from on coming traffic but not as many as I anticipated there would be.

After about 10 hours of driving I found a good stretch of road to open her up - rock solid! 100mph on a 150 km stretch and never passed a single car at 1:30am. Loved it! :ani_clapping:

It is a little scruffy on the inside but originally a California car so no rust issues - good service history with it too. Will have more questions for sure as time goes on.

"What normal operation is stopped by insulating the pin ?" - As an amateur my guess would be that you are just compensating for wear here rather than insulating?

Roy

Spot on

Sounds like a fabulous drive. I have done the Rockies by car and motorbike, but never in the snow. What's the speed limit over there now?

The problem is that the column switch carries the full current of the headlights, so it isn't surprising the contacts fail after 20+ years. Following recommendations here, i just fitted the headlamp relay kit from Pelican Parts. This takes the load off the stalk contacts, and the main light switch contacts. It seems to make the lights a bit brighter too.

Spot on

Sounds like a fabulous drive. I have done the Rockies by car and motorbike, but never in the snow. What's the speed limit over there now?

Speed limit still 90 in BC and 110km/hr in Alberta, so at 100mph I was a little over! There was no snow on that stretch -just dry road and about minus 10 for temperature. Moon was bright and not another car on the road.

The problem is that the column switch carries the full current of the headlights, so it isn't surprising the contacts fail after 20+ years. Following recommendations here, i just fitted the headlamp relay kit from Pelican Parts. This takes the load off the stalk contacts, and the main light switch contacts. It seems to make the lights a bit brighter too.

Could you post a pic of the headlight relay. Thanks.

Here's a link to the kit on PP: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...n=JWST-911-HLPR

The kit is well thought out, and the relays mount neatly just under the fuse box. It took about 20 minutes to fit, and looks very much at home there. Being picky, the relays themselves look a bit on the cheap side, but would be easy to change if they cause problems, as they are plug-in.

"What normal operation is stopped by insulating the pin ?" - As an amateur my guess would be that you are just compensating for wear here rather than insulating?

Ok, I thought the pin was conductive, hence my confusion about insulating it :rolleyes: Didn't realise it just pressed the adjacent metal contacts together.

+1 for relays.

Just made up a kit(under £10)and lights are much better.

Just started to tackle this over the weekend - armed with a copy of '101 Projects for my Porsche 911' for reference - I encountered a problem removing the steering wheel. I cannot fit the 27mm deep socket into the housing under the horn pad. How do you get at the nut if the socket will not go into the opening?

Does any one do the relay kits in the UK? Am planning to deal with a few issues in the next couple of weeks and not sure how quick the pony express works these days. Although the feedback is that it is not a very long job, me and electrics don't always get on, so like to get some planning done.

Thanks

KJ

Well - pulled out the turn signal/high beam switch tonight and it looks thoroughly cooked - was hoping a bit of luck would mean just the addition of wire insulation piece as mentioned but no luck. Have ordered a new one from Pelican. Is the new headlight relay really worth it?

Also - no one had any input on the cruise control not working - while the steering wheel is off is there anything I should check on that side of the steering column?

Does any one do the relay kits in the UK? Am planning to deal with a few issues in the next couple of weeks and not sure how quick the pony express works these days. Although the feedback is that it is not a very long job, me and electrics don't always get on, so like to get some planning done.

Thanks

KJ

I'm sure there was someone who was making up the lighting relay kits here in the UK. and fairly sure afew people on here bought them at the time.

Hopefully they will read this and chime in.

Will try and remember who it was (was ages ago!)

Is the new headlight relay really worth it?

Together with higher wattage headlamp bulbs, tranforms the light output.

Get one from Pelican,

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...le-pelican.html

Also get yourself a Bently manual,brilliant.

Edited by hukent

I'm sure there was someone who was making up the lighting relay kits here in the UK. and fairly sure afew people on here bought them at the time.

Hopefully they will read this and chime in.

Will try and remember who it was (was ages ago!)

You can buy relays for under £10 (maplins)

There are diagrames on here or I could dig the one I used if you want.Takes about an hour to make up and an hour to install-tops.

The wiring is dead simple,and cutting into the system is also very simple,I would say its an ideal project for electrical beginners.

Only other consideration would be to go for OEM relays ,this would do a better job,and when I find some on the cheap,I will redo mine. :twocents:

This should have enough info.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...lays-redux.html

s

Edited by theo5042

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst investigating the play in my steering column I noticed that both the indicator/headlight and wiper stalks don't seem to be screwed to the steering column cowl :huh: ?

The wiper one seems firmly attached but the indicator/headlight one is loose and wobbles about inside the column when you move the stalk. Wondered if this isn't contributing to the main beam accidentally coming on issue ?

Edited by GaryH

• 4 weeks later...

Little update - changed out the turn indicator/high beam lever with a replacement from Pelican parts and all is well - low and high beams now work. Relatively easy job.

Next question - where do I start on the non functioning cruise control???

Next question - where do I start on the non functioning cruise control???

On my Saab it was a split in one of the small vacuum hoses under the dash by the pedal assembly. :twocents:

No idea how the 911 system works.