Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
spinksj

Wiper problem

Hello All,

Just started my 1988 3.2 911 after 4 months hibernation, and it started first time, took it straight out for a run, kept the revs nice and low and its like it has never been standing for 4 months. WOT A CAR try and do that with a modern one.

Anyhoo, the reason for the thread, the wipers are not parking correctly, the intermittent switch is now not doing anything, so its has got to be related. I sort of remebering when I brought the car, the seller said something about the intermittent switch sometimes does not work, but it always worked for me.

When I turn the switch, I hear the relay kicking in. The wipers work in all settings from the stork. I have tried to squirt WD40 into the switch, but I cant get to the actual back of the switch without taking the dash apart, which I really dont want to do.

Anyone get any suggestions?? Has its due its MOT in May and I am sure its a faliure if the wipers dont park correctly

Thanks in advance.

Take the gauges out to get to the switch? (It's not *that* hard to do).

Not taken the intermittent switch out before so not sure how it is mounted.

Take the gauges out to get to the switch? (It's not *that* hard to do).

Not taken the intermittent switch out before so not sure how it is mounted.

The switch is easy to remove pull off the knob you will see a holding nut never changed one, i think it mite be the intermittent control relay witch dose the park as well, it is behind the cold air heater box this is the one with the blower motor in it under the front bonnet in the middle of the car, and it is bolted to the bulkhead.

Charles

Hello All,

Just started my 1988 3.2 911 after 4 months hibernation, and it started first time, took it straight out for a run, kept the revs nice and low and its like it has never been standing for 4 months. WOT A CAR try and do that with a modern one.

Anyhoo, the reason for the thread, the wipers are not parking correctly, the intermittent switch is now not doing anything, so its has got to be related. I sort of remebering when I brought the car, the seller said something about the intermittent switch sometimes does not work, but it always worked for me.

When I turn the switch, I hear the relay kicking in. The wipers work in all settings from the stork. I have tried to squirt WD40 into the switch, but I cant get to the actual back of the switch without taking the dash apart, which I really dont want to do.

Anyone get any suggestions?? Has its due its MOT in May and I am sure its a faliure if the wipers dont park correctly

Thanks in advance.

Same thing happened to mine,bought a new relay,which cured it.

I have a spare if you want it.

Edited by hukent

Mine did exactly what you are describing when I bought it. A new column switch sorted the problem.

Edit: I found that if you push the stalk away from you, the wipers would park themselves. That's what pointed me to the stalk. Might be worth trying that on yours.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

Mine did exactly what you are describing when I bought it. A new column switch sorted the problem.

Edit: I found that if you push the stalk away from you, the wipers would park themselves. That's what pointed me to the stalk. Might be worth trying that on yours.

There's loads on here detailing how to clean the contacts on the stalk to sort out the 'no parking' problem.

It's fairly straight forward I believe

It'll be contacts on the stalk switch - cleaning usually does it but sometimes you need to tease the contact back into place as contact isn't quite being made. Take the stalk off the column but leave it plugged in so you can operate the wipers/ test, have a fiddle/ clean contacts - job done!

Thanks for all the replies, I push the arm and they did park, so I took it all apart and cleaned all the contacts, it was better but not perfect, so I tied a zip tie arm the lower arm and the column and it tightened it, so it was just pulling the slightest on the arm and it all works perfect now.

Thanks for all the advice

Thanks Guys :ani_clapping:

At the risk of sounding stupid, I have the same problem listed here but cant get the plastic shroud off from the steering wheel base to clean up the stalk, I have removed the screw at the bottom but doesnt want to budge.

I dont want to break it, does anyone have any advice please?

you need to remove the steering wheel to get at the 2 screws that secure the front of the plastic shroud.

Ah, thanks, thought it would be an easier job than that.