911 SC Official Kerb Weight

996ttStevo

Does it not depend on a number of factors?

Sunroof

Sport Option

Wheel Option (I think 15” Fuchs were still available as an option on SC’s).

It does and will also depend on the model year as early cars are lighter, but when people talk about official weights, they usually mean the Porsche Red Book weights which are base German spec cars without options and without fluids (IIRC). I don't know the SC weight, but the 3.2s are 1210kg for 915s and 1250kg for G50s. As 99.9% of UK 3.2s seemed to come with 16s, sunroof and part leather, you can probably add 60-70kgs to the official weight once you have oil, washer fluid and some petrol on board. For example, before I started pulling weight from my car, it was 1320kg on the corner weight scales. The real weights of 911s are often very different to what people talk about. Lots of people talk about sub-1000kg 911s but most aren't. JG's Orange was billed as something like 960kg and it was actually over 1000kg - which is still very light for an IB. I think anyone who can get sub 1100kg real weight is actually doing pretty well and with 200+hp will have a light and fun car.

HTH

With regard to SCs Richard is right except the base weight of 1150kg includes full fluids except petrol which is half a tank. Then you add the extras.

• 1 month later...
is it 1120kg or 1160kg?

Anyone have anything official in writing?

For technical development data like this Paul Frere, who was a test driver for Porsche and a friend of the Porsche family, is a wonderful reference. His book The 911 Story - the development history, is a must.

I agree with everything said above, especially interesting view about around 1100kg and cicra 200 bhp ensuring a light, fun car. If you can achieve these figures you are in Carrera 2.7 RS territory and with the correct SC, especially the high compression model, you have a car that is very similar indeed.

I was amazed by how heavy the rear windscreen wiper motor was when we removed that, and the turbo spoiler boot lid is really heavy, not to mention things likes air emissions injector pumps that some SCs were fitted with and air conditioning.

I have taken out air pump, heater blower, rear seat backrests, rear belts, bumberettes and changed turbo spoiler to FG ducktail with aluminium mesh grille. It seems that the rear end has lightened so much that I need to lower it for an inch!

I don't know the weight of the car but all that stuff must be about 50 kg.

My standard 3.2 G50 carrera with sunroof and part leather seats was 1261kg with half a tank of fuel when measured on Dom's cornerweight scales. it was somewhat more with me in it when the falt flooring was done!

Completely agree Richard, I will add however that Perky`s car was under 1000kg on my scales and they cost me 2 grand and are regularly calibrated , interesting to see the differences across all the cars that come in here, Toms weight puts what you are saying about right.

As for cornerweights, 911`s don`t have things in their favour, but my old 944 turbo had exactly 25% of its weight on each wheel.

I bought a high compression SC last May. As part of a full restoration we removed the turbo lid and fitted a correct despoilered lid with lightweight plastic grill, pre silencer and cross over pipe removed- installed ss system, removed air emission pump and plumbing, rear wiper motor, fitted 16 inch Fuchs alloys. I have no aircon. The weight with all fluids and a quarter tank of fuel is 1116kg

With the engine now rebuilt and run in this car feels agile and impressively fast even compared to my 993 targa which I used to own. Such a pleasure to drive. We fitted standard factory BOGE suspension and turbo tie rods, running 16 X6 and 16 x 8 Fuchs. Not to hard, involving, a great combination. I drive her everyday.

It would be interesting to hear some weights as adding lightness is fun!

On changing my front anti roll bar bushes yesterday i felt the weight of the cover plate for the fuel pump and thought that would be in in ally! Cheap job to do too.

My car with brimmed tank of fuel ,spare wheel , jack and toolkit etc with usual weightsaving measures such as plastic bumpers but with cage, stereo/amp/speakers and the Ruf boat anchors was 1080 on scales when corner weighted.

It is a lhd no sunroof car. I was pleased with that as wheels must add 15kgs?