carrera 3 targa numbers

3fifty6er

• 6 months later...
could anyone tell me how many RHD carrera 3 targa's were made, i see on the carrera3 site 1123 were made in total but how many RHD it doesnt say

I've been looking for the answer to that question for years, it seems nobody knows. I'm going to drop a line to Peter Morgan, if anyone can find out , he can. !

Got this from a friend last night but he's not sure if its official .

1976 Carrera 3-- Coupe ----- 1093 ------------ RHD - 487

LHD - 606

Targa ----------479 -------------RHD - 181

LHD - 298

1977 Carrera 3 -- Coupe ---------1473------------RHD - 577

LHD - 896

Targa ----------646-------------RHD - 281

LHD - 365

Sportomatic 1976 -- 26

1977 --32

Carrera 3 Total Production---------------------------3691

This is also a question I have unsuccesfully tried to find the definitive answer to. However from market share figures the UK accounted for approx 7.5% and the USA 50%. As the C3 was not produced for the USA approx 15% would have been for the UK. There would be some rather smaller numbers produced for Australia, South Africa and Hong Kong (don't know if there are any other RHD markets) so up to 20% of C3 production would have been RHD, The chassis numbers 1-10 were not utilised in each series so 469 Targas were produced in 1976 and 636 in 1977. 20% of this would give approximately 220 targas in total. This is a rather lower total than forwarded by 'pettycoatloose' but likewise my figures are totally unofficial and I would appreciate hearing any other advances on the answer.

Guy

This is also a question I have unsuccesfully tried to find the definitive answer to. However from market share figures the UK accounted for approx 7.5% and the USA 50%. As the C3 was not produced for the USA approx 15% would have been for the UK. There would be some rather smaller numbers produced for Australia, South Africa and Hong Kong (don't know if there are any other RHD markets) so up to 20% of C3 production would have been RHD, The chassis numbers 1-10 were not utilised in each series so 469 Targas were produced in 1976 and 636 in 1977. 20% of this would give approximately 220 targas in total. This is a rather lower total than forwarded by 'pettycoatloose' but likewise my figures are totally unofficial and I would appreciate hearing any other advances on the answer.

Guy

Guy, I haven't heard of the 1 to 10 chassis nos not being used before. Peter Morgan in his first book " Porsche 911 " he's showing both series chassis nos as beginning with Coupe 9116600001 for 76 and 9117600001 for 77

Targa 9116610001 .................9117610001

??

The best illustration of the numbers 1-10 not normally being used is the '73RS where two 1972 911S/T models were renumbered as 001 and 002, all other prototypes and production cars started from 011. The following link provides the information and I believe that the engines were similarly numbered with 1-10 omitted.

Guy

http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/artic...rticles_42.html

The best illustration of the numbers 1-10 not normally being used is the '73RS where two 1972 911S/T models were renumbered as 001 and 002, all other prototypes and production cars started from 011. The following link provides the information and I believe that the engines were similarly numbered with 1-10 omitted.

Guy

http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/artic...rticles_42.html

Im still puzzled . I have gone back through all my books and the only reference to the 1 -10 digits is in Bruce Andersons book where it says this system was applied to the earlier cars.as follows : The last four digits were used as the sequential serial number and the first digit was then used for further subcoding to differentiate between Karmann and Porsche bodies. 0 - 4 are Porsche and 5 - 9 were Karmann. He is also showing the chassis nos o 76/77 models as beginning with 1 and this was the first year the engine nos were officially changed as well beginning with 1.

I have sent a query to Peter Morgan to clarify this as I think he would have mentioned it somewhere.