78sc Hig Idle on Start up

Hi Guys,

Car starts 1st time everytime but seems to be running a high idle at approx 2000rpm until driven and warmed up then settles down to about 1000, just feels like it's too high and even if I blip the throttle it just stays high.

Any thoughts.

Thanks from Tasmania

Hi Beetle,

my SC does exactly the same thing (also 78) mainly in winter, all summer ok so must be related to the warmup regulator somehow when things are cold. Was going to wait until we drop the motor out next and go over that department and see if anything obvious needs attending to. From what I understand as these bits get older you get things like this happening and the exact problem can be a little hard to track down.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance at the moment, other than sharing the same problem, but I will be diving into this area in the near future.

With a bit of luck someone a bit wiser will be along soon with more of an idea of where to start digging.

Cheers,

Bugs.

P.S. It'd be bloody cold down there at the moment, maybe it's just shivering alot!

Hi There,

I had the same problem with mine - realised at the MOT it was running way too lean - CO = 0.09%!

Richened the CO mixture and now is perfect - goes a heap better too!

Do you have the emmisions printout from your last MOT?

Regards

Jon

Mine does it too but mainly in the winter when it hunts as well. To be honest once I've driven half a mile I've forgotten about it and then it drives well. It's one of those things that probably isn't worth worrying about too much. It will just end up being expensive and time consuming to fix 100%. You may as well wait until you do any major engine work and sort it then.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your input, the weather in Tassie is cooler and maybe a contributing factor I just don't like it sitting at that high a revs from cold, also we do not have MOT's like in the UK, once a car is registered it never gets checked again unless the rego lapses which means the types of testers you have are not as thick on the ground as there is no need for them, makes for some interesting cars!!

Coming originally from Wales I understand the need for regular testing as I think it keeps us and our cars honest.

The car is running well otherwise but I might look at a top end rebuild within the next two years so I might just see how it goes and address it then.

Thanks again, oh and if you are looking for amazing roads with no traffic this is the best secret on the planet, Targa Tasmania country.