Insurance Premiums and Prices

SP72

4 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

I guess at least they can only do it at renewal in which case you can tell them to stick it?

I've specifically asked whether they would do this at the renewal midway through a 2 year valuation.

My Aston is insured via broker Alan & Thomas; Locktons we’re not competitive at all.

A & T used Zurich Private Clients and we’re cheaper than the buffoons at Admiral and much better coverage.

Worth a shout.

2 hours ago, Roy M said:

I've specifically asked whether they would do this at the renewal midway through a 2 year valuation.

Seems an odd to me.

Being generous it could mean that in a total loss they would settle higher than the most recent valuation. It could also mean the opposite of course. 

Response received

The following clause ”...the agreed value may be amended by us upon renewal of this policy so that it reflects current costs and values”  Would only apply at renewal if your most recent valuation was dated more than 2 years ago. The valuations we have on file for both Porsche’s are dated the 10/05/2020 and will be valid until 10/05/2022

Some up to date numbers for future reference:

• Classic Line with Carole Nash £296
  • Hagerty with Alan & Thomas £465
  • Chubb, no longer with Locktons but still available through any of their listed broker partners. Of the four I spoke with all are now +/-£750
  • AXA, who are Lockton's new underwriter at the time of writing, £385

Bizarrely Chubb cover is now pretty much twice the rate that it has been for the last few years. A slight minus to mention with Classic Line is no business use. Quotes based on usual likely variables: suburban Midlands location / insured and spouse driving / agreed value of fifty thousand.

I'm with Classicline on the SL , considerably cheaper than anything else I tried , also you can get  15% discount if you say you are on the RetroRides forum.. , call them for the best price though

I'm with Classic Line too. They seem pretty good to be honest. After Doc's unfortunate incident last year and his experience, seemed good to me. And Euro cover included. Track days included. Agreed valuations for free if you provide PCGB valuations. All adds up to a decent package for the money. 

I don’t have a permanent place of work and did make that clear to them when I originally took out insurance with them 3 years ago and have just let it automatically renew since then. On the policy it just states personal and business.

• 5 weeks later...

I've renewed with Hagerty again. The premium was £265 with 40k agreed value which was £30 more than Classicline but I like having Hiscox as the underwriters. They are very good, I know this because my wife used to work for them. Hagerty do cover for occasional use to and from work and I have got this sent to me in writing.

I wasn't happy with the reviews for the underwriters that Classicline use (as Paul alluded to above) so for the sake of £30......................

3 hours ago, mean in green said:

I read this morning that Hiscox have sold RH Insurance to A-Plan, who will continue to underwrite through ERS.

Just to clarify, Hiscox,RH,A-Plan and all the others who front the various schemes are all Brokers, although some call themselves Underwriting Agents.They do not carry any risk themselves but basically operate under a binding authority.

the Underwriter is the guy who writes the cheques and carries the losses, or indeed profits.

The broker gets a commission on the business placed with the underwriter/carrier.

now the Binding authorities are reviewed periodically, usually annually, and terms and rates are renegotiated, and these sometimes do not work out well, hence why schemes will move sometimes. It’s Very common for people when asked who they are insured with to name the Broker, and many package their documents to give that impression, but it will be in the wording Underwritten by XYZ, who will be either an Insurance Company of a Lloyd’s syndicate..

My own recent experience of ERS with a ClassicLine policy on my 914 was excellent. A car reversed into me having not left enough space for a lorry to come through a bottleneck with parked cars. I had no camera at the time and no witnesses. He just lied. ERS worked with me to source a hard to find moulding (Mittelmotor) and fixed the car at my chosen repairer. No damage to his towbar so the total claim was only £1400. ERS backed me and took the case all the way to county court. It took 3 years to get there but I got the judges decision and recovered my excess & costs along with their outlay. 

It may not be typical but I can’t fault the ERS/ClassicLine effort. I thought that they’d just settle at 50/50 for convenience. 

David

34 minutes ago, flatsix777 said:

My own recent experience of ERS with a ClassicLine policy on my 914 was excellent. A car reversed into me having not left enough space for a lorry to come through a bottleneck with parked cars. I had no camera at the time and no witnesses. He just lied. ERS worked with me to source a hard to find moulding (Mittelmotor) and fixed the car at my chosen repairer. No damage to his towbar so the total claim was only £1400. ERS backed me and took the case all the way to county court. It took 3 years to get there but I got the judges decision and recovered my excess & costs along with their outlay. 

It may not be typical but I can’t fault the ERS/ClassicLine effort. I thought that they’d just settle at 50/50 for convenience. 

David

Wow, this is terrific. Well done mate. I mean bad, but good right? 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Phill said:

ERS weren't the underwriters on my offered Classicline policy, it was First Underwriting.

Mines through KGM underwriters , google away..

If its with them again next year I'll move it somewhere else

2 hours ago, johndglynn said:

Wow, this is terrific. Well done mate. I mean bad, but good right? 👍🏻

Yes, all good. Only very superficial damage to the 914 and I felt a wrong was righted. It was a point of principle for me and, seemingly, ERS who risked roughly the same as their initial loss in court/barrister fees. I had the advantage of truth, but still surprising. The accident data was changed to no-fault & full recovery without my having to chase (ClassicLine?) so credit where it’s due.

David 

I had a good experience claiming with them (ERS) when someone opened a door into my IB in a pub car park in 2016. No fault and let me choose my own repairer and no quibble.

Just checked both my renewals this month they are ERS again. I have three cars with them now, and it is about 25% cheaper than even putting them on the personal collector cars element our trade policy...

Just got my insured via sterling underwriting by trinity line. Agreed value at 38K, £296 don’t know if they are the best but seems very easy to communicate, and also happy to insure my car on chassis number until I finish UK registration.