how do you adjust the passenger side mirror? i thought you pushed the adjustment knob down to alternate between the two (don't know why i thought this??), but that didn't work.

what it did do was break the control knob! so now the drivers mirror only goes up & down (ie on the verticle plain), i can feel the notches where the left & right horizontal plains are but when i push it right, it goes down, & left it goes up.

bugger.

i'm hoping i've just pushed the adjuster out below the door trim top & it will clip back in, but having said that seeing as it didn't work the passenger side mirror it may be faulty anyway-i haven't checked to see if the motor in the passenger side mirror is working yet by the way.

any ideas?

how do you adjust the passenger side mirror? i thought you pushed the adjustment knob down to alternate between the two (don't know why i thought this??), but that didn't work.

what it did do was break the control knob! so now the drivers mirror only goes up & down (ie on the verticle plain), i can feel the notches where the left & right horizontal plains are but when i push it right, it goes down, & left it goes up.

bugger.

i'm hoping i've just pushed the adjuster out below the door trim top & it will clip back in, but having said that seeing as it didn't work the passenger side mirror it may be faulty anyway-i haven't checked to see if the motor in the passenger side mirror is working yet by the way.

any ideas?

There's a small rocker switch under the dials to the left of the steering wheel. Really odd place for it, but flipped one way the control then does the driver's mirror, and then the other, the passengers. That's on mine anyway!

HTH

bugger.

any ideas?

Mine has a rocker switch under the dials to the left of the steering wheel that allows you to select drivers/passengers mirror. HTH

ouch! you're bloomin' right they aren't cheap!

not sure if i'll get the door panel off this weekend but i'll get it checked on monday-looking at the part on the design911 website there doesn't look like there's much to un-clip on the part so i may have knackered it-what a tool!

thanks for the offer garyH, i'll let you know when i get the door panel off-do i need to disconnect the door handles & everything or does the door cap itself come off?

From memory, you only need to remove the top trim – 2 screws and it lifts up.

Yep, one each end of the door cap. Big trim screw at the hinge (A-post) end (visible) and a very small trim screw (hidden behind a plastic grommet) at the B-post end.

Edited by GaryH

Just nipped back home & I can't find a rocker switch anywhere?!

I took the switch off, plugged it back in & it works half the time-so better but not perfect! I can't see anything that looks like it can be fixed though I haven't actually removed the switch from the door cap itself-only unplugged it.

Right I bit the bullet & it mentions the "optional" passenger mirror control & shows a rocker switch above the ignition key barrel-damn the tight fisted original owner! Oh well one less thing to go wrong (unless you break the controller trying to figure out how to control something that isn't there?!).

IIRC the left/right mirror rocker switch is on the underside of the dash (below the dials), above the ignition switch.

Shown in this LHD PP picture (labelled as 'fuel cutoff' since the guy has moved the mirror switch to between the dials instead):

switches1101172077.jpg

Edited by GaryH

I took the switch off, plugged it back in & it works half the time-so better but not perfect! I can't see anything that looks like it can be fixed though I haven't actually removed the switch from the door cap itself-only unplugged it.

It would be just under the pressure and temperature gauges on here

It's kind of out of sight underneath the dash. Small as well. Just above the key in Gary's pic, but that is LHD

Edited by stevecwalters
Right I bit the bullet & it mentions the "optional" passenger mirror control & shows a rocker switch above the ignition key barrel-damn the tight fisted original owner! Oh well one less thing to go wrong (unless you break the controller trying to figure out how to control something that isn't there?!).

Hehe, think of all the weight you've saved though ;)

Yeah-a true light weight me you know-if only I could stop eating pies I'd be even quicker! Definatly doesn't have one though-amazing what you find out when you actually read the manual!

When I've got more time I'll take the joystick switch off properly & see if there's something to clip back in on it to fully sort it.

Next stop, curing the stalling issue!

Hasn't it just had a top-end rebuild ?

yeah don't tell me it's a sign it needs another one?! :unsure:

nick (moss) reckons the fuel injection needs adjusted, it seems to be a tickover issue, runs fine but it wants to stall pulling up at lights etc, you start the car up & give it a bit of gas & let it settle & it's fine. ran fine on the test drives which is a bugger (from cold as well).

car performed great all the way home though i did notice a little hunting at tickover when i stopped at the tolls on the m6 so something isn't right. it stalled when nick came out to pick me up from the train station a few times (a 5 min journey) when coasting up to traffic lights then was ok.

we had a bit of a craic & it was fine when i set off but after stopping to fill up a couple of miles from nicks place it did it again after i started the car after the fill up-ie it fired the revs raised then it cut out when it should have gone to tick over

any ideas guys?

I would guess your car came with only a drivers mirror and someone has added the passenger one but not wired it up, hence no switch under the dash

I have two mirrors but only the drivers is electric. The other is original, can't see the logic personally, electrify the one you can reach but not the other :blink:

I would guess your car came with only a drivers mirror and someone has added the passenger one but not wired it up, hence no switch under the dash

yep that's what i figured as well, though the owners manual does state that the passenger mirror control is optional, oh well, care needed when parking!

I have a pair of flag mirror tops (pre '84), left / right mirror selection rocker switch and mirror positioning joystick / switch.

The flag tops are in good condition (one of the glasses is starting to degrade around the edges) but the wires have been chopped and would require soldering back into a loom.

Please contact me if hey would be of any interest.