915 Gearbox Issue Query

Ciaran

Hi,

I was hoping someone could assist me. I have looked through a number of on line sources.

I have a Carrera 3 MY77 and I was doing an oil change last weekend. Having changed the engine oil, and replaced the distributor, I put the car into reverse to back out of the garage. When I tried to put the car back into neutral the gear was still engaged. The position which felt more or less like neutral was still in reverse. It wouldn’t go into any other gear properly, and appeared to be like it was in two gears when it wasn’t in the neutral position. I checked the linkage and found one of the bushes on the coupling behind the seats was damaged. I temporarily fixed this but it wasn’t the issue. I changed the gear oil in case it would flush something out but no joy. I then checked online and found a reference to the reversing light pin which may be stuck out. I pushed the pin back which sorted the problem. This was a relief.

My concern is that it may reoccur, at a time where the car isn’t over a pit. A post online had raised this before and suggested that play in the linkage can cause this issue. Has anyone here come across this issue before. I will be replacing the gearbox linkage bushes and cup before I use it but it would be good not to be living in fear of putting the car in reverse.

Any thought would be appreciated. Also, could someone let me know if 75W90 fully synthetic transmission oil appropriate for the 915 ‘box? I hadn’t intended to change the oil so didn’t have any choice at the time.

Many thanks,

Ciaran

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was hoping someone could assist me. I have looked through a number of on line sources.

I have a Carrera 3 MY77 and I was doing an oil change last weekend. Having changed the engine oil, and replaced the distributor, I put the car into reverse to back out of the garage. When I tried to put the car back into neutral the gear was still engaged. The position which felt more or less like neutral was still in reverse. It wouldn’t go into any other gear properly, and appeared to be like it was in two gears when it wasn’t in the neutral position. I checked the linkage and found one of the bushes on the coupling behind the seats was damaged. I temporarily fixed this but it wasn’t the issue. I changed the gear oil in case it would flush something out but no joy. I then checked online and found a reference to the reversing light pin which may be stuck out. I pushed the pin back which sorted the problem. This was a relief.

My concern is that it may reoccur, at a time where the car isn’t over a pit. A post online had raised this before and suggested that play in the linkage can cause this issue. Has anyone here come across this issue before. I will be replacing the gearbox linkage bushes and cup before I use it but it would be good not to be living in fear of putting the car in reverse.

Any thought would be appreciated. Also, could someone let me know if 75W90 fully synthetic transmission oil appropriate for the 915 ‘box? I hadn’t intended to change the oil so didn’t have any choice at the time.

Many thanks,

Ciaran

[/quo

I remember having a similar problem with my C3 and I replaced the bushing on the end of the gearstick and it sorted the problem.

Hi Ciaran,

I am sorry I can't remember the fine detail but there is a fault that can occur on the 915 box that is something to do with an item coming loose inside the box. Best try a search on here or maybe Pelican parts

Sorry I couldn't be more precise

Ian

Sorry just went onto PP to search and noted you already have a query there........

Edited by Ian Comerford

Thanks for the posts,

I have had some feedback from Pelican Parts.

The part that it appears can come out of place is called an indent which is like a spring loaded elongated ball bearing which seems to keep the rods, etc in place.

I have changed the coupler bushes and the cup under the gear lever in the hope that it won't happen again. I am still a bit concerned that something (an indent) in the gearbox may be actually loose though, and I don't know enough to know whether this can actually happen or not? There was nothing on the drain plug when the gearbox oil was changed.

I would be grateful if anybody knows if these pieces can become loose in the gearbox, or if the worn bushes and resultant play could have caused the reverse gear to stick without any other issue in the gearbox.

I think that if something like a fork or selector was damaged that I wouldn't be able to select all the gears. Since replacing the bushes, etc the 'box feels tighter but generally the same as before. All gears can be selected without difficulty. Although I don't really know.

Again many thanks,

Ciaran

dominicd

Its all completely standard. There is no problem now, as far as I know, although I may need to tweak the coupler adjustment a small bit, so I've left the hatch open and have a couple of 13 mm sockets with me. My fear is that something is loose in the gearbox, or that it may be come stuck in reverse again at an awkward time.

Have you had gearboxes sticking in reverse as a result of fitting an aftermarket shifter? Did it cause anything to work loose in the gearbox, such as an indent?

Ciaran

Have had issues with 3 transmissions in last 12 months with non standard shifters, 2 of them got stuck in reverse and 2 of the 3 were not built by us, fortunately I know the 'knack' in getting them out again......

Detents don't work loose, Detents hold the transmission in gear or neutral etc, selectors wear or come loose, but most problems can be sorted by carefully adjusting the coupling as you are doing and replacing bushes etc in the linkage.

That's useful information. Thank you. I presume the 'knack' is pushing the reversing light switch back?

Ciaran