Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

Sign in to follow this  
wasserkuhl

#8 Bearing Seal or Nose Bearing Leak

Greetings all.

It appears that my beloved C3 has the #8(Nose) Bearing leak. Its not a huge leak but enough for me to be annoyed by it.

I have decided to do a partial engine drop and change the pulley seal and IS cover gasket in a vain hope that it is either of these. I am pretty sure that its the Nose bearing seal as it appears to be coming from there, wont know until I have the pulley off......

Prior to the costly 'split the case open' exercise I am going to try something a Guy from the states has devised.

Tom Amon, a long time racer and technician has come up with a Nose Bearing Seal. (Pictured below)

Essentially it's a ring that slips over the nose bearing and is secured by set screws. Prior to slipping the the ring on, you apply an epoxy or similar agent (In my case I will use DevCon) to the join around the bearing where it meets the crank-case.

It is alleged that in most cases this can cure the leak.

For me it does seem like a crude and possibly 'snake oil-esque' type of remedy, however I think its worth a shot to avoid a lengthy and costly crankcase split in the short-term.

My question is this; Has anyone used this "TAS-Nose Bearing Seal" on here or had any experience with it?

Any advice , commentary or suggestions from wiser heads is always appreciated..........

post-5720-1334928004_thumb.jpg

Yep, I've got the same problem too... Would be keen to hear the news...

I could only find a link on PP, which you've presumably seen...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-fixed-how.html

Can anyone shed any light on this?

SM

It seems quite straight forward and I am willing to give it a crack before I remove the engine and have the case split, which will entail alot of 'while you're in there' items as well. Mine has had a top end re build about 3000k ago.......

I was hoping that it was just the pulley seal, but I am extremely sure it isn't now so this sleeve seems like an 'interim' measure that may stop the elaking for a while. Its only a small leak but it p*sses me off.

Here's a video of Tom installing one in a 911, its a bit amateurish but gives you an idea of whats involved....

Tom is back from 'vacation' on April 26th So I will be calling him on Friday to order one kit, did you want to order one as well? may get a discount?!

Didn't know what the nose bearing was until I saw the vid. Looks like a good solution, similar sort of answer as a silsleeve for worn drive shafts. Doesn't look too complicated either.

Why on earth didn't he just talk instead of putting that music on it?

Thats what I thought......

I think that the video was made by an enthusiastic customer and not by Tom.......

Tom is back from 'vacation' on April 26th So I will be calling him on Friday to order one kit, did you want to order one as well? may get a discount?!

Steven, can you possibly PM me with costs etc? I'd be happy to chip in with you- pending price of course!

I also found a pretty good thread by one of the 901 registry guys on PP. I'm sure they'd be happy to talk about their experiences. Have to say it looks pretty good, and much better than having puffs of smoke coming out of my engine grill whenever I stop...

And 1000 times better than splitting the case!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...l-leak-fix.html

Scotty

I consulted with the guys that do my MFI servicing and general engine work in Sydney. They hadn't heard of this device, but were pretty interested in it.

It turns out that they're going to try it on a customer's car that has a weeping no 8 bearing seal - funnily enough the customer doesn't want to split the case, so was happy for them to give it a go.

I'm keen to hear their feedback, and will let you know how it goes...

BTW, what sealant do you plan on using? Seems like there's a few trains of thought...

SM

I consulted with the guys that do my MFI servicing and general engine work in Sydney. They hadn't heard of this device, but were pretty interested in it.

It turns out that they're going to try it on a customer's car that has a weeping no 8 bearing seal - funnily enough the customer doesn't want to split the case, so was happy for them to give it a go.

I'm keen to hear their feedback, and will let you know how it goes...

BTW, what sealant do you plan on using? Seems like there's a few trains of thought...

SM

There are LOADS of products on the market which are basically an epoxy. The Kit comes with JB Weld-Metal. I will be using a similar product called "Devcon". Sikaflex also make a super sticky marine sealant that would do the job. Basically any epoxy that is designed for use on metal which has the heat range and is not affected by oil or other solvents are fine

Many people have tried to seal these leaks soley with an epoxy with mixed results, mostly with leaks again. The ring adds a full interference seal around the bearing, with a very liberal application of epoxy prior to installing the seal it would , I am hoping, provide a full seal and no more leaks.

You can pick up Devcon Metal from a few places in Australia. There is even some on eBay for a decent price @ around $70. Loctite and Dow Corning also make similar metal epoxy products.

The Car is up on the stands right now, ready to install the seal. My Tyre guy broke off the right rear height adjuster from the radius arm so welding that back on as well. Doesn't matter how much to tell people how to do something they still go ahead and bugger it up!!!

I will post up pictures of the process once finished.

Great! I look forward to seeing the pics!

SM

Quote "My Tyre guy broke off the right rear height adjuster from the radius arm so welding that back on as well"

The adjusters just push out.

Wouldn’t recommend welding.

Quote "My Tyre guy broke off the right rear height adjuster from the radius arm so welding that back on as well"

The adjusters just push out.

Wouldn’t recommend welding.

Mine aren't the stock ones, I have the radius arms/spring plates that have the block welded to the plate with a bolt adjuster for height. The Block woth the bolt has torn off (bad weld) Similar to this picture :

post-5720-1337124613_thumb.jpg

OK.

Engine Mount, exhaust and rear engine tin removed, exposing the offending item. Someone has been here before methinks. I will be removing the existing epoxy with a heat gun and plastic scraper to avoid damage to the outer bearing surface....

I am not looking forward to this job.

post-5720-1337169401_thumb.jpg

'May the force be with you...'

(you might need it)

Hmm. Perhaps I shouldn't take the pi$$ too much yet. I haven't had a detailed look at how bad the no8 bearing seal area is on mine yet... :(

SM

'May the force be with you...'

(you might need it)

Hmm. Perhaps I shouldn't take the pi$$ too much yet. I haven't had a detailed look at how bad the no8 bearing seal area is on mine yet... :(

SM

Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought. It appears the majority of epoxy was very old and came off easily. Just had to be very careful! Its all off now.

I'll do the Intermediate shaft and pulley seals now before I clean the whole area with brake cleaner.

Will post up another picture later this evening.........

Pulley seal and Intermediate shaft plate seal replaced. all the old epoxy removed ready for the sleeve.

post-5720-1337381495_thumb.jpg

All Back together and after a nice little run there appears to be no leak.

It will be fixed if its still no leaking in 12 mths time.....

Interesting stuff :signs118:

So Steve, it's now 6 weeks downstream - how is the bearing sleeve holding on there? Drip free?

SM

So Steve, it's now 6 weeks downstream - how is the bearing sleeve holding on there? Drip free?

SM

Yep. She's still dry as a bone. I have driven it about 1k km's short and long trips and it seems to have done the job. Great little job that can save many barrow loads of cash.

Although I now have a Gearbox leak coming from the inspection plate on the bottom RHS. Hoping its just a dodgy Locknut, which it appears to be.

Sounds like success then. Great to hear about such a simple yet effective fix.

Best I get my act into gear and order my TAS bearing sleeve! The Mrs will also be much happier as she won't have to complain about oil in the driveway!

SM

The Mrs will also be much happier as she won't have to complain about oil in the driveway!

It's just marking its parking spot... :whistling:

I had a leaky gearbox coming from the inspection plate & when I changed the crappy paper gasket it still leaked so I ended up making my own gasket from some rubber sheet. Hasn't leaked since.

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.p...3338&st=360

Well there you go! Many thanks!! I will be doing the oil shortly so will do the same!!!