Fuel level reading

My fuel gauge has stopped going below 1/4 full , even with the reserve light on , reserve does appear to be operating correctly , so I'm wondering do I need to "recalibrate" the fuel gauge ? is there a potenetiometer on the sender unit or something ? I have had the fuel sender out and it moves freely up & down - so thinking it nust need calibrating ?

Kieran

Is the top of the tank where it should be?

Only ask as I had similar symptoms when i changed my filler breather hoses...and found out that the hose to the carbon canister (yes, I still have one of those...) was blocked. Caused an air-lock and pulled the top of the tank in...with the fuel sender preventing it going any further.

I may me a complete moron (beyond doubt in some circles...) but this was what happened to mine.

E

Edit - just seen the gauge is not working when the light is. Evidence that (in this circle too) I am a complete moron...

Edited by JerseyLHD911

no calibration - you need to put a meter across it an measure the resistance.

Its got 3 terminals, 1 common and 1 for the low fuel switch and the other is the fuel level.

I think it should measure a few Ohms for full and about 70 for empty.

Try tapping the petrol gauge clock in the car. Mine ran out of fuel a few months ago reading at about quarter full. I think the light was on but I didn't think much of it. I tapped the gauge and it dropped down. Might just be the gauge?

Ciaran

Try tapping the petrol gauge clock in the car. Mine ran out of fuel a few months ago reading at about quarter full. I think the light was on but I didn't think much of it. I tapped the gauge and it dropped down. Might just be the gauge?

Ciaran

Will try that ! its a bugger when it happens

Kieran

Daft question, but at what stage should the light come on? My gauge has appeared pretty low but the light has never sprung into life.

Daft question, but at what stage should the light come on? My gauge has appeared pretty low but the light has never sprung into life.

there is a little switch on the end of the sender - I think your still good for 20-28 miles - if the bulb works!

Kieran