Is my clutch Toast ?

alexb

My 3.2 G50 911 started to get a nasty rattle through the pedal when pushed hard to the floor at the start of last summer - I got used to not pushing it to the stop but just pushing it to clear and its been fine, however last week it deteriorated - it now rattles/vibrates just past the point of clearing so its pretty much impossible to change gear without it rattling - hence I stopped using it !

It seems weird that the clutch has loads of movement above the bite point - so feels like it has lots of wear left, my usual experience of clutches is that they start to slip under heavy load or run our of travel to bite - mine has none of these problems but are they masked by the clutch auto adjusting itself due to being hydraulic ?

My car has done 84k from new and I'm pretty sure this is the original clutch - is in now time to bite the bullet and do an engine/box drop and fit a new one ?

Best price for a G50 Clutch so far has been a Sachs unit Via Gsf ( Mate is Manager at local branch ) for about £ 499 - sound about right ?

Any advice appreciated - at least its not coming off the road in sunny weather ! :rolleyes:

Mine rattles a bit - I think its the release bearing, a common thing on a G50 togther with a few other culprits.

There are other rattle causes and cures though that don't require clutch replacement, have you done a search?

My cousin has a G50 911 with about 80k on the clock. The original clutch is worn out and is very "aggressive".

What Rtooo says.

If the operation is still smooth then I'd just carry on regardless. Mine tends to grumble more a low speed, stuck in traffic, etc. Been like that ever since I can remember.

The gear shift rod can rattle too, which is very common and the official Porsche fix is essentially a laggy band to put pressure on the rod. Though it does have a part number :lol:

I think maybe Rattle is the wrong description - I get a nasty vibration - like really nasty like the forks are hitting the pressure plate when the clutch is pushed to the floor - this is now happening higher up the pedal travel only just past the bite point - other than that the clutch is fine - no noises or slipping

Cheers

Alex

Wonder if it's had the clutch release fork/bearing mod?

I was going to suggest that aswell - worth a look first

does sound like something is loose maybe???

Edited by BenC

If its the original clutch then it may well be the rubber centred jobby that tends to just give up eventually - a google image search shows you enough examples of this

If its all working perfectly(other than the vibration) then it might be worth looking at adjusting the clutch pedal stop - over enthusiastic use of the clutch can push the stop further down the adjustment meaning you are moving the clutch out of its normal operating range - The Bentley manual has some good info on this.

If it is a toasted clutch there are quite a few "other items" needed when replacing the clutch(fork, shaft(ubgrade or not), bearings, guide tubes etc etc) which can end up being quite expensive so make sure it is broken before you tear into it.

As a side note the worst case scenario can be that the ears that hold the fork shaft in place can break off the gearbox casing which can get quite expensive to sort so try to minimise use until you know whats going on.

Pelican is a great source for info on all this.

If its the original clutch then it may well be the rubber centred jobby that tends to just give up eventually - a google image search shows you enough examples of this

If its all working perfectly(other than the vibration) then it might be worth looking at adjusting the clutch pedal stop - over enthusiastic use of the clutch can push the stop further down the adjustment meaning you are moving the clutch out of its normal operating range - The Bentley manual has some good info on this.

Clutch stop was first port of call - mine is currently fully extended and the clutch pedal gets to within about an inch of it then the rattling starts & it won't go further ( its a horrible noise !) It used to clear fine and only rattle if you really pushed the pedal to the boards but now it rattles only just past the bite point so I am no longer driving the car - time to sorn it and get ready for an engine/box over the winter I think :eusa_boohoo:

Thanks for the pics - just wondering if the rubber starting to disintegrate will cause this - whatever the issue I think my best plan is to get it apart & find out the full story, I have been looking for an excuse to drop the engine & do a bit of detail work & top end servicing anyway :rolleyes:

Hello Alex

Sounds like the same symptoms I had with my clutch last year....pressing the clutch pedal to the floor created a loud graunching/vibration. I tried adjusting the clutch pedal stop, but it gradually got worse.

Mine was also on the original clutch at 115k miles and hadnt had the factory clutch release fork/bearing mod done, as mentioned by Nige and Jev above.

In the end, I shelled out for a genuine Porsche clutch kit from the OPC and a clutch fork mod kit from Matt at Type911.

At the time I was looking there was a £130 difference between the genuine Porsche kit compared to the Sachs kit, although I remember there being a shortage of G50 clutch kits at places like ECP and GSF.

Not sure of the differences between the genuine and aftermarket parts. Mine had the Porsche stamps on each part, had a spring centred rather than the original rubber clutch plate (which appeared to be in one piece)and included a new guide tube (not sure if the Sachs kit does).

Anyway, the new clutch kit resolved the noise issues, plus replacing the worn/gunged up needle bearings with the new bronze bushings made the clutch pedal super smooth. Hopefully good for another 20 yrs or so.

I had a similar issue and ended up changing clutch, sping plate, bearing and fitting weltmeister kit as my g50 was unmodified. If you have original clutch then good chance your gbox is the same. The vibration and graunching noise I recon on mine was the worn and effectively seized roller bearings in release fork. These had cut grooves in the cross shaft causing the juddering. Some pics in this thread:

G50 clutch

Once changed the clutch was much lighter and smooth? If you do change it DIY and need the recommended grease for cross shaft it is stupidly expensive and I have whole the tube left.

Good luck