The 3.6 Engine Conversion Banter Thread

jevvy

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My engine,loom and ECU came out of an auto car and it runs fine in my man SC.

Cheers David.

that's good to know for future ref.

with this particular ebay engine I contacted the seller - the ECU is £600 extra and the loom a further £300.

i didn't get an answer to why he as breaking the car or any ifo about service history.

with this particular ebay engine I contacted the seller - the ECU is £600 extra and the loom a further £300.

ooocha - dreaming a bit maybe!

still think its possible to drive away from that guy £3.5k cash lighter but with all the parts you need in the back of a van ;)

Need to check some wiring diagrams on that as I remember fitting a used tip loom into a 964 race car a few years back and had to find and sort out the wiring from the gear selector as it wouldn't start without that sorted.

Just about to do another 3.6 here, this comes from an auto but is using one of our looms anyway so not a problem.

All I will say is, as much as I love 3.0 cars, drive a 3.6 and you will be hooked, tons more power and torque, combined with reliability and ease of use in modern traffic, bit of a no brainier really.

Not quite at the engine point with my sc at the min but if I can find a good 3.6 I won't be rebuilding the 3.0....

I'm quoting that before you edit it - thanks for the input Dom ;)

Oooh - tell us more :)

Yeah we did the first test on my -97 varioram engine yesterday. The ecu has to be tuned on a dyno to get full advange out of it.

Read more about it.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-...der-1000-a.html

A great solution also for you who are doing the conversion. You dont have buy the stock ecu at all...

I've got SSIs on my 3 litre engine - can they be used on a 3.6 or do I need to factor in funds for the equivalent?

Presume I would need an exhaust to bolt on aswell.

Is there a need to go custom with the exhaust to make it fit an IB?

SSIs are no good on a 3.6 Ben, I think they're not much cop on the more powerful 3.2 :P but they sell for good money so you could either factor that into the cost of selling your engine or sell them seperately.

If you were looking to put a 3.6 engine into your silver car then you would probably want to go with headers - I can't remember if you run heat or not but if you do then headers with a small box round it so you can keep your toes warm!

It also depends on whether you transplant a 964 or 993 lump. 993 h/e are a good option as they are a lot more efficient than 964s whereas if you go with 964 and 915 combination you need to fit headers or 993 h/e with flipped flanges.

SSIs are no good on a 3.6 Ben, I think they're not much cop on the more powerful 3.2 :P but they sell for good money so you could either factor that into the cost of selling your engine or sell them seperately.

If you were looking to put a 3.6 engine into your silver car then you would probably want to go with headers - I can't remember if you run heat or not but if you do then headers with a small box round it so you can keep your toes warm!

It also depends on whether you transplant a 964 or 993 lump. 993 h/e are a good option as they are a lot more efficient than 964s whereas if you go with 964 and 915 combination you need to fit headers or 993 h/e with flipped flanges.

looks like I will end up selling my current 3.0 with the SSIs then.

is it easy enough to source headers and not pay Porsche direct prices? or is it something that you'd need to get fab'd at the same time as the back box?

what did you do?

looks like I will end up selling my current 3.0 with the SSIs then.

is it easy enough to source headers and not pay Porsche direct prices? or is it something that you'd need to get fab'd at the same time as the back box?

what did you do?

Well, they won't do you any good either on a 3.2 or 3.6 but still may be worth selling seperately from the engine if they come off easily. If not then a good quality exhaust like that is a great bargaining point on the engine price.

I bought the same headers from the states that TRE motorsports used to sell, same ones Perks has and RB had before his pioneering TT merge collector mission.

Turbo Thomas is probably a good (UK) bet for the headers & if that doesn't float your boat then you'll probably be looking across the pond. 993 h/e do work well though and gives you options like happy crab silencers that are known to give good hp.

There are loads of options really, you may want to do some research into the tube dia as well i.e. 1.625" or 1.750".

Very useful post!

I am discussing the purchase of a 964 3.6 engine with cams at the moment.

Not sure where to put my current engine/loom/control unit value wise? 89 3.2 with fresh rebuild from Francis Tuthill.

Any ideas?

Hi david,

did you have to do anything in particular to get it all to match up?

HI Ben

With my exhaust I used the 993 he's that came with the engine, I removed the heat boxes with an angle grinder and got them ceramic coated ( no need for heaters here in oz) then they fitted srraight up to the Timmins happy crab box with twin outlets sounds amazing but very very loud for the road.

Cheers

David.

Edited by aussie911fromwa

• 2 weeks later...

few more questions having done further reading and research into a few possible engines:

loom - 'remove and replace loom' that's not all the wiring completely is it? it sounds like a hell of a job in it's self. all of the ignition, lighting etc...

or is it a question of pulling out the main central look up to each connector plug?

oil - presume the existing oil tank wouldn't work with a newer/ more modern engine - so do you remove the old one and the replace in the same place with the newer version? is there lots of cutting about to make this work?

finally - where to look for the holy grail engine (low miles, still running in a front end smash car!)?

I've been mainly searching ebay and the two engines I have looked into so far have been from there. I've also searching on 964 and 993 forums.

haven't contacted the main breakers yards as I just presume they will be super ££££ but perhaps I should

where else should I be looking? who should I be talking to? what am I missing?!

:)

loom - 'remove and replace loom' that's not all the wiring completely is it?

Just the ECU to engine loom

oil - presume the existing oil tank wouldn't work with a newer/ more modern engine

Existing oil tank works fine

where else should I be looking? who should I be talking to? what am I missing?!

There are plenty of conversion threads on here and Pelican that show what has to be done and variations/options people have chosen to make/take

Mark

Thanks Mark,

If there's not a ECU under the front seat in an SC, like in a 3.2, is it just the wiring loom in the engine bay?

Thinking about it - the modern engine must have an ECU so where does that end up?

I've read a lot of engine change threads - but they tend to start with 'picked up the new engine today' but don't tend to mention how they came by the engine in the first place!