Wow CS going up in price!

That's Gordon Wingrove's car. The rebuild was well documented in 911&PW iirc. Gordon worked as a race mechanic for John Wyer's Gulf team on the 917's. I have no doubt it is immaculate. There are quite a few detail shots in his book - 3.2 Carrera Ultimate Owners Guide.

sold mine for 45k on 80k miles and needing a little paint a couple of years ago... hairpin sold 20k mile car for 70 grand this year.. the low mileage of the car in question is attractive but i think many would be put off at that price by the "off" no matter how well its been repaired.. just my tuppence!

That's Gordon Wingrove's car. The rebuild was well documented in 911&PW iirc. Gordon worked as a race mechanic for John Wyer's Gulf team on the 917's. I have no doubt it is immaculate. There are quite a few detail shots in his book - 3.2 Carrera Ultimate Owners Guide.

I'm sure Gordon's CS is very nice but It looks like he's trying to ride the current inflated price wave for 'limited number cars.

And good luck to him, in his position I'd probably do the same (before the bubble bursts).

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with a previous comment that it depends what someone is willing to pay. It's still for sale so we can't judge the potential market until it sells, who knows perhaps it will go overseas?

For me the damage no matter how well repaired would put me off unless reflected in the price. Having said that how many RS 2.7's have had damage, repaired to a high standard that hasn't dented the price?

I suspect the prices on CS's are confused as there is a C where an R should be IMHO. The next 10 years will be interesting watching the markets for these and for that matter the 3.2 and IB models in general.

For me the IB cars are the ones I lusted after in the 70's and 80's as these where new when I was forming my love of cars as a young lad.

The CS and Turbo to me are the ultimate IB 911 and when I could afford it I looked and tried both. I am glad I bought a CS as I felt it was the more rewarding car and also an RS in all but name. With more people reaching the age where they can afford those lusted after cars from their youth it will only mean the prices going one way which is good for current owners.

I suspect the prices on CS's are confused as there is a C where an R should be IMHO.

I thought Clubsport was a perfect name for this car, summing up exactly what it was for.

To me, RennSport implies a homologation car for racing, which the 3.2 wasn't. As for the R tag, IMO that should have been left alone and the Cayman should have been a CS too.

I thought Clubsport was a perfect name for this car, summing up exactly what it was for.

To me, RennSport implies a homologation car for racing, which the 3.2 wasn't. As for the R tag, IMO that should have been left alone and the Cayman should have been a CS too.

Al that is a good point, it's just a shame Porsche haven't stuck to that. If they had the 964 RS America would have been a CS as I don't believe it was homolagted for racing in the US, I could be wrong though.

Maybe they will bring back the CS name for the new Cayman? Using the R for it was criminal to Porsche enthusiasts.

So here is a question, we had the 3.0 RS then we jump to the 964 RS for homologation and racing. But what happend with the 3.2's? Was Porsche not building race cars of those for teams or was everyone caught up in 80's Turbo fever.....?

As I understand it, RS America was a marketing exercise to appease grumpy customers there who were denied the 'real' thing due to US legislation.

I think you're right about post 3.0RS. The 3.0RSR was followed by Turbo RSR, 934 etc to promote the Turbo line, and then the factory moved on to Group C. I guess the SCRS came next in n/a racers, but that was still 3.0 and the 3.2 Dakar cars were prototypes so no need for homologation

• 1 month later...

Interesting observation Stutts. Was the 3.2CS really a great car. Apart from a lightweight interior and sodium filled exhaust valves. What did the 3.2CS really bring to the table that was different to its stable mates. Could one not argue it was just a marketing excercise ?

much discussed i know, but a CS is a CS, and anything else is not.. i sold mine to fund the purchase of my lime 2.7 carrera which is a car i had hankered after for years and that will be staying. the MFI 2.7 motor is something entirely different to the 3.2. out of interest does anyone know the weight difference between a 3.2 speedster and clubby?

Longmans is better.

G got it right, marketing.

Rarity values one thing, content of the package is another.

A tuned lightweight 3.4 with coilovers, GT3 seats and a widebody does more for me.

CS's are worth it at 25, but not at 35, that much buys you a pretty nice GT3,

Longmans is better.

G got it right, marketing.

Rarity values one thing, content of the package is another.

A tuned lightweight 3.4 with coilovers, GT3 seats and a widebody does more for me.

CS's are worth it at 25, but not at 35, that much buys you a pretty nice GT3,

I agree. But collectors and sellers push these prices to where they are.

At that price I'd buy a 996 GT3 Clubsport and stack some cash for rubber and suspension.

Hard core enthiusiasts know better...............but we want to use the cars not just whack them in our converted coach-house and ponder the size of our bell-ends.....

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this car the other day, couldn't fault it and I can usually fault anything! Really amazing, 27k miles but a sad story behind the scenes.

You'll not be the first to sell their Club Sport and look for another second time round. But that could be said about any Impact Bumper Porsche

True! No one can make a Club Sport 25 years after Porsche stopping doing it.

• 2 months later...