'74 RS 2.7

Oli

There is no such car as a 74 RS 2.7. There was a 73 Carrera 2.7RS, then in 74 it became the Carrera 2.7. Be very wary when buying cars at his level, IRO of £200K for a 73, up to £100K for a 74. I suggest you do a LOT more research before even considering getting into this market or you may get severely burned.

There is no such car as a 74 RS 2.7. There was a 73 Carrera 2.7RS, then in 74 it became the Carrera 2.7. Be very wary when buying cars at his level, IRO of £200K for a 73, up to £100K for a 74. I suggest you do a LOT more research before even considering getting into this market or you may get severely burned.

Here is part of the vin number.91146009xx

This is for a fully restored vehicle, body and mechanical. What does one at this level go for? I know its difficult, but what would be top dollar and what would be a good deal price?

Thanks for saving my butt

Edited by oli

George is right. You need to know if it's matching numbers, who did the restoration, how correctly and exactly what was done. L or RHD, location?

Since I am in the USA, I would need someone to look it over. Who do I turn to, to do this, and at what cost? I don't know since it has been totally restored if it would need a major inspection, but whoever would look it over, would probably have enough experience to say whether to get a full inspection.

Since I am in the USA, I would need someone to look it over. Who do I turn to, to do this, and at what cost? I don't know since it has been totally restored if it would need a major inspection, but whoever would look it over, would probably have enough experience to say whether to get a full inspection.

"Totally restored" means very different things to different people, ranging from a Pebble Beach-type 100 point resto to something that had some paint splashed on it by Stevie Wonder's guide dog without cleaning the car beforehand.

oli get yourself on pelican forum in US plenty of info about US carreras and euro carreras there.. maybe someone would be willing to sell in the US. 2-shores (jurgen rott) basically ships/trades cars between germany and US

good luck

Is the car in Texas or Europe?

Europe

"Totally restored" means very different things to different people, ranging from a Pebble Beach-type 100 point resto to something that had some paint splashed on it by Stevie Wonder's guide dog without cleaning the car beforehand.

Stripped down to the metal, body and mechanicals.

link? depends where in the US it is i guess.. i mentioned 2-shores to you.. could always fly nick over, im sure he'd appreciate a little holiday :rolleyes:

Hi Paul. Have you checked your mail? Its in Italy and I am waiting to find out what firm did the work. Their asking what you will sell your wide body for one day. Nobody has stepped up to check out the car. I tried a Porsche dealer, but haven't heard from them either.

oli get yourself on pelican forum in US plenty of info about US carreras and euro carreras there.. maybe someone would be willing to sell in the US. 2-shores (jurgen rott) basically ships/trades cars between germany and US

good luck

I hadn't looked at 2 shores as a shipping company, but something to check into. Talked to one dealer who is running a list of people looking for euro carreras, he sold one a couple of months ago for $140K

So prices are more attractive and a few more choices in Europe than on this side of the pond.

Thanks, as always Paul

Edited by oli

oli have you got a link to the advert? as nick alluded too, would need more details of the restoration, who carried out, how long ago and to what extent the car was restored.

if you have the chassis, engine and gearbox numbers Guy can probably check its all matching.

here is the link to the lhd car phil at tech9 on here restored and sold this year at techno classica essen which seems to attract top prices. as he mentioned earlier in the thread the car was eur 100,000 which was around gbp 85,000 at the time.

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_...?lCarID=1837250

i paid gbp 80,000 for my lime rhd uk 2.7 carrera as detailed elsewhere on this site which i knew was very toppy at the time but now seems reasonable for a fully restored car. even so, the restoration is five years old and there are still details to rectify ie re-trim the interior to correct specification leatherette/tweed insert, refurb 1 of the alloys, locate and fit correct period radio and dash speaker, re-trim door cards to remove existing after market speakers, re-fit correct exterior mirror etc.

if you want a perfect, fully restored car i would suggest indeed you are looking close to eur 100,000. a couple of good useable cars have sold for much less than that recently.. it really depends what standard you are looking for.

regards

have you considered phil's US spec 2.7 carrera?

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_...;lCarID=1856054

Edited by billy74

oli have you got a link to the advert? as nick alluded too, would need more details of the restoration, who carried out, how long ago and to what extent the car was restored.

if you have the chassis, engine and gearbox numbers Guy can probably check its all matching.

here is the link to the lhd car phil at tech9 on here restored and sold this year at techno classica essen which seems to attract top prices. as he mentioned earlier in the thread the car was eur 100,000 which was around gbp 85,000 at the time.

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_...?lCarID=1837250

i paid gbp 80,000 for my lime rhd uk 2.7 carrera as detailed elsewhere on this site which i knew was very toppy at the time but now seems reasonable for a fully restored car. even so, the restoration is five years old and there are still details to rectify ie re-trim the interior to correct specification leatherette/tweed insert, refurb 1 of the alloys, locate and fit correct period radio and dash speaker, re-trim door cards to remove existing after market speakers, re-fit correct exterior mirror etc.

if you want a perfect, fully restored car i would suggest indeed you are looking close to eur 100,000. a couple of good useable cars have sold for much less than that recently.. it really depends what standard you are looking for.

regards

have you considered phil's US spec 2.7 carrera?

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/4100_...;lCarID=1856054

Here's what i have:

The car is a 74 carrera MFI,

I have inquired as to who did the restoration and maybe someone here can tell me if I am doing the right thing. No big deal if I don't get it, I can wait. It is the exact colour I want.

Edited by oli

So right now I have 3 interesting choices

1. the blue one fully restored for $100K

2. a '75 wide body, with some interesting race history, but has a bunch of rust and a lot of parts in boxes. A company in MA that has the car would be willing to do a full resotration for roughly $50K. It reminds me of your red wide body that is being restored. I am thinking when all is said and done this car would cost me just south of $100K

3. This is a US spec car in Germany, that has a RUF engine, but they do have the original engine that will go with the car. This is from a dealer. I don't know how this would affect the overall desirablity and resale. It reminds me of having a Jag e type with an US engine, but still having the original engine parked in your garage.

So right now I have 3 interesting choices

1. the blue one fully restored for $100K

2. a '75 wide body, with some interesting race history, but has a bunch of rust and a lot of parts in boxes. A company in MA that has the car would be willing to do a full resotration for roughly $50K. It reminds me of your red wide body that is being restored. I am thinking when all is said and done this car would cost me just south of $100K

3. This is a US spec car in Germany, that has a RUF engine, but they do have the original engine that will go with the car. This is from a dealer. I don't know how this would affect the overall desirablity and resale. It reminds me of having a Jag e type with an US engine, but still having the original engine parked in your garage.

a lot of homework to be done me thinks my friend..

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C317356 nice looking US spec car

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C303503

fully restored 2.7 euro carrera for 100k bucks ie 62k gbp seems cheap to me...and i love mexico blue!!! my red resto had the original engine on the shelf while the previous owner sprinted it with a 3.0 lump. for some marques matching numbers seems to matter more than others ie for older porsche yes but from something like an e type here in uk condition takes precedent over matching numbers..

post up the links and one of the oracles (guy, nick amongst others) will be along shortly :)

I know of a US-spec Carrera 2.7 that's for sale in NorCal for IIRC $28k so unless this car is spectacular the OP might be better off looking locally. Mind you, I haven't seen the local one (yet) as I really need to wait for the sale of my Targa to go through before I go IB shopping over here.

Edited by TimNiceBut