Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Richard Bernau

How to remove your SSIs... and fit 993 heat exchangers

Well I wasn't supposed to do this for a couple of weeks but now that the muffler is sitting in customs, i thought I would have a quick play and see if the SSIs would come off easily or whether it would be a big hassle.

So here are the tools I gathered in advance from tooled-up.com. I sprayed a little penetrating oil on a week ago and had the muffler off already.

IMG_0992.jpg

You need a long 8mm allen key and various flexy sockets. 13mm sockets for most people though the factory bronze nuts are 12mm. The bent 12/13mm wrench is also essential

Next remember to undo the heater hoses front and rear. My rears are new as can be seen the the fronts are ancient. I couldn't get the camera in to tlook at the fronts as I had the rear wheels on.

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

The long allen key goes through the holes in the SSIs into special allen nuts - couldn't be easier.

IMG_0995.jpg

Next use any methods, fair or foul to get the other nuts off. It requires some contortion and some nuts come off a quarter turn at a time. Thankfully mine were all easy enough. I will be using anti-seize and the bronze nuts for the 993 HEs.

Hey presto.

IMG_0997.jpg

Interesting looking up at the back of the exhaust valve. No black carbon here.

IMG_1001.jpg

I have some pics of the back dated oil lines and can post/take more on request if anyone wants to see anything in particular.

Then came the interesting part. Pick up an SSI and a 993 HE and feel the difference. One point to the 993.

IMG_1006.jpg

Then take a look at the size of the ports - a little tricky to see but 36mm vs 38mm

IMG_1008.jpg

I have also been busy with the dremel and drill porting the 993 ports out to 40mm to match the diameter of the std exhaust ports. 3.2s up to 993s all have a 40mm exhaust port but the factory steps down to smaller headers without smoothing the step. Seems like an obvious hp or 2.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Part deux will be the fitting of the 993HEs. I have trial fit and they are easy on the LHS and 4 out of 6 easy on the RHS. Because of the flipped flanges they look nightmare difficult for 2 of the 6. I think nimble fingers and some customising of the bent wrench might be in order.

RB

Sounds like you're off to a good start, have you decided on how to route the feed into the HE's or are you going to deal with that once its in place?

Sounds like you're off to a good start, have you decided on how to route the feed into the HE's or are you going to deal with that once its in place?

My existing heater hoses need to be about an inch or two longer and a little larger in diameter. Is this where you used the Samco pieces? If so, can you remind me of the specs? Thanks :)

Looking forward to the dyno certainly. The "word on the street" is that the SSIs might be faster stoplight to stoplight as the small primaries help torque, but on the track at 5000rpm+ there is no comparison. Accordingly, I think the headline numbers ought to be better and for my use they will be better, but this may not be the right thing for everyone. I have had my doubts and second thoughts about ditching the SSIs - they are beautifully made and equal length and all that and they sound terrific.

RB

IMG_1001.jpg

That is a great pic mate. I didn't know SSIs were equal length - I have to take one of mine to pieces so will have a look at that when it is apart. Ditto to looking forward to dyno run.

Thats not where I used the samco stuff on mine but it may well work there too depending on what size you need to go to>from. Heres where I ordered mine from and also got the jubilee clips too:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/SAMCO-HO...9dbb673c43ffea3

do you have any more mods planned between now and the dyno day or will it be a back to back 993/SSI comparison?

Thats not where I used the samco stuff on mine but it may well work there too depending on what size you need to go to>from. Heres where I ordered mine from and also got the jubilee clips too:

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/SAMCO-HO...9dbb673c43ffea3

do you have any more mods planned between now and the dyno day or will it be a back to back 993/SSI comparison?

Back to back I think. Doubt anything else will happen in the interim. Lots of plans, little action unfortunately.

THere is another dyno dynamics operator in Surrey who I might try for a quick test rather than trek up to WRC.

RB

RB think the dyno you are thinking of is Surrey Rolling Road, the guys name is Charlie, I recently took my car there, he charges just £50 for a power run and really takes time to hook it all up properly.

My Steve Wong Chip has arrived so I will be making a trip there very soon.

Andre

Surrey rolling road is quite close to me - if anyone is heading over lemmie know and I will meet you down there for a cuppa and some banter

I have been to a golf G60 power run day there and the operators seemed like a canny bunch.

I just remembered, Charlie (at SRR) said he was about to buy some vehicle weighing kit, so he can also offer that facility too...

I just took a couple of general ones at the weekend but can snap more. Looking at the RHS:

IMG_1004.jpg

In the centre, the main cross over piece:

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

Let me know what views would be helpful.

RB

Richard I used 63mm alloy air ducting pipe on my SC when I back dated the heating, it is flexy and wil close down to a smaller size if needed. Am I right in thinking that the SC, 3.2, 964 and 993 share the same hole centers on the exhaust outlets and that the problem in fitting later ones to an SC is the flange thickness on the headers, and that longer studs or bolts could be used to overcome this.

Baz

Am I right in thinking that...the problem in fitting later ones to an SC is the flange thickness on the headers, and that longer studs or bolts could be used to overcome this

Mate, do you mean fitting the SSIs to SCs? You need thick flange on SC and Carrera as head studs are different, if you use early SSIs on SC, you can space the nuts with washers, but Carrera SSIs are specific to the model so have to have thick flanges.

Mate, do you mean fitting the SSIs to SCs? You need thick flange on SC and Carrera as head studs are different, if you use early SSIs on SC, you can space the nuts with washers, but Carrera SSIs are specific to the model so have to have thick flanges.

What he said. The Carrera has longer studs and the Carrera SSIs have a thicker flange and have the little insert pipes that stick up into the exhaust port - look at the picture I posted earlier.

The 993 HEs have thin flanges and I have had to clean the threads on the rusty studs to get the nuts on far enough. I found a couple of new studs interestingly. I have also used up to 8 stainless washers to space the nut down on the hard to reach ones. The 993 HEs are generally a b!tch to get on. I have 5 of 6 bolts done on the RHS and have no real idea how to get no. 6 on. I have again 5 out of 6 done on the LHS and have the 6th one started by fingers but no tools work. I should have some time this weekend to try to figure it out. First step is to modify the shiny new tools and/or grow longer fingers.

RB

you tried one of these puppies:

TC3282.jpg

alternative is use theses:

ty3_kids_hands.jpg

Not the former, but have considered the later.

Might yet be begging/borrowing more tools. Will take pictures of my failure/s at the weekend to see if there are any helpful hints.

The former is useful, the latter not so much. You can also get long-reach swan neck spanners which are good for awkward spots.

The former is useful, the latter not so much.

Whats the point in having them then :blink:

Whats the point in having them then :blink:

They are useful when they are older! When they are at an age where their hands look like that, they tend to either walk off with the tools or whack them off the bodywork rather than hand them to you :rolleyes:

They are useful when they are older! When they are at an age where their hands look like that, they tend to either walk off with the tools or whack them off the bodywork rather than hand them to you :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth.

What's a long-reach swan neck spanner? Is it like the bent ring spanner in my first picture? I am going to cut that in half and grind a little off the outside of the ring to make it more useful in tight spaces. I also have a ratcheting flexi-head ring spanner which I need to put on a diet and grind some metal off as it just doesn't quite fit where it needs to fit. I may also have to cut that one in half.

Ain't that the truth.

What's a long-reach swan neck spanner? Is it like the bent ring spanner in my first picture? I am going to cut that in half and grind a little off the outside of the ring to make it more useful in tight spaces. I also have a ratcheting flexi-head ring spanner which I need to put on a diet and grind some metal off as it just doesn't quite fit where it needs to fit. I may also have to cut that one in half.

So, wifes away, kids asleep and work is being ignored. Despite the freezing garage, I decided to have a crack at finishing the install of the 993 HEs. The only real difficulty is accessing a couple of bolts. Here is the solution - modify your tools:

IMG_1027.jpg

I basically just cut the buggers in half and grind some off the outer circumference of the ratcheting wrench. While the ends of my fingers are feeling a bit bruised, I think I have everything snugged up ok.

Of course that isn't the end of the story. Decided to trial fit the muffler....

Watch for a new thread!