djf67's Red SC Cab Backdate

djf67

I thought I'd start a thread on my car as I suspect there will be plenty of jobs to report on ;) . It is a 1980 SC, 107K miles but less than 3k in the last 17 years with the PO, in storage for the last 10-12 of those, then thousands spent on brakes and engine to recommission. It left the factory as a light metallic blue Targa and in 1989 was converted to a guard's red cabriolet, using the official Porsche conversion kit at the time -
http://rennlight.com/howto/cab/index.html
The conversion was clearly done well with a full bare metal respray - there is no blue anywhere. The blue leather seats were swapped for snazzy red tartan manual ones; almost fashionable again. It has headlamp washers, foglights, an electric aerial, 16s and an M220 LSD but otherwise is very basic spec.
First job was an underbody and wheelarch clean at the weekend, ably assisted by my son, then a run in the sun with the roof down.
New tyres on Weds, then a trip to the MoT station this weekend...

DSC06954_50_zps210e6795.jpg

DSC06961_noplate_zpscfa50814.jpg

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One new MoT with no advisories except slight fraying of a seatbelt.

MoT tester even said it was a 'good little car'.

Nice to know it's deemed 'roadworthy' for another 13 months, even though it needs some love..

Some jobs -

decent service

odo repair - Speedy Cables

exhaust headers - SSI/Dansk or TT - currently no heat as the exchangers are like used teabags - brown and perforated

some paint/bodywork tidying

flat lid

refurb/replace bumpers, probably GRP RUF rear, RUF or IROC front

new shocks

new bushes eventually with proper setup

fix leccy windows - passenger not working, driver sluggish

fix passenger seat tilt or fit new seats

fit rear seatbelts - this week, hopefully

front trunk shock

refurb wheels or some Group4 Campagnolas

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of weight loss this evening -

3.6kg from the front...

DSC07007_zps0187857c.jpg

13kg from the back...

DSC07009_zps394b9b21.jpg

DSC07008_zpsabba21e6.jpg

My MoT tester must have had a blind spot because the extra central brake light wasn't even wired up.

I thought SC under turbo tail had a large hole on which basis I've got a GRP flat lid on order but I appear to have a standard metal one here. Serves me right for not even looking :smash: Nevermind. It's a bit scruffy so paint & prep probably much of a muchness for either and the GRP lid will be lighter.

Rear seat belts on order

Convert a reverse light to fog light - bulb purchased

Speedo at Speedy Cables

Will look really nice without the rear spoiler, keep the original wheels and front valance. Get some bushes for the gear linkage.

Might be worth keeping the steel lid and welding up the holes, rather than fibreglass..

Fairly confident GRP lid will be lighter as it weighs just 2.85kg. Grill and T-bolts 1.13kg

Standard engine lid 6.7 Kg, so no competition.

Surprised it is as low as 2.85kg, hope it is robust enough!

Mark

One thing I found with switching to a lightweight FG lid is if you retain the strut then it can push the lid at an angle when it's closed as the FG lid is so much more flexible, if that makes sense!

Switching from a steel lid and spoiler to a FG lid is a big chunk of weight off the rear. Watch that ride height start to creep up!

I swapped to a GRP duck on my coupe a few years ago adn it would fire open when the latch released!

Only need 1 strut then...more weight saved at the back :-)

DSC07016noplate_zps613a369e.jpg

Well, that went on easy. Good shut lines, too. The Pro9 ducktail I got for my coupe was a piece of shit in comparison.

However, this will need more prep work before paint.

Not the next job but what bumpers (my rear is corroded)? My 'um & ah' list is -

SCRS bumpers (expensive)?

RUF?

backdate rear, IROC front?

RUF rear, IROC front?

Great job that looks like a very good fit, have a good search on e bay there are several fg front and rear bumpers on there also go onto ebay.de the german site some bits a pricey so know your prices.

Edited by Topkit

MOT wise - The centre brake light has to work in full or not at all. It will only fail the MOT if it only part works. Crazy I know!

Great tip - we should start an MOT tib-bits thread, I've got some belters!

feckin' feck.

'Speedy' Cables estimate turnaround on my odometer repair to be 4 weeks i.e. Easter.

Looks like I have an excuse to take more of the car apart rather than drive it.

:kickrock:

Edited by djf67

Rear seatbelts installed. PITA to find the captive nuts at the correct angle when belts have never been fitted previously

Here's that tartan...

Tartan_zpsbd7934c8.jpg

The look is growing on me but they aren't original to the car, the passenger seat doesn't tilt (broken?) and the rears are just black leather/vinyl so don't match. Tempted by some BF Torinos...

b60.jpg

Today removed stereo head unit and mounting cage and some of the related wiring. With the previously removed CD changer that's almost 6kg!

Front fogs removed as well, but only just over 1kg. Like the 3rd brake light, they weren't wired up either - is that another MoT oddity???

Edited by djf67

Rear seatbelts installed. PITA to find the captive nuts at the correct angle when belts have never been fitted previously

Here's that tartan...

Tartan_zpsbd7934c8.jpg

The look is growing on me but they aren't original to the car, the passenger seat doesn't tilt (broken?) and the rears are just black leather/vinyl so don't match. Tempted by some BF Torinos...

b60.jpg

Hmmm, let me know if you do go down the BFT route. I might be interested in your current seats.