Final results - kidney repairs!

David Gander

Top stuff, fingers crossed you're not doing it again in a year or two. One of the sides I did on mine looks like I should have gone further, not a major problem but more of a pain in ar*e as I don't like doing things twice.

Was the first side too, the second side and I went much deeper as my confidence grew and I felt more at ease with the situation to hand. ;)

I guess it always comes down to experience.

Edited by Nige

Thanks but no thanks for all the kind offers for me to do more of the same on their cars! Went as far as necessary Nige (back to really sound metal), then after welding, smothered every which-where with multi applications of Dinitrol in every orifice and then some! Lexz.....the answer's NO! I did post a few pictures Jonny, but wasn't really conversant with posting photo's then (some were a bit jumbled up), I'll try & re-post some of the photo's when I get a chance (although they may still be a bit muddled).

Regards,

David.

P.S. I've read a bit recently on some members having found broken head studs, so I'll just removed the cam covers and re-torqued all 24 to with no problems found. I'll try the ''back-side method'' a-la-Pelican to adjust the tappets (just as a matter of interest to see how it works) before replacing the covers.

P.S. Have just realised looking at the pictures that the one showing the oil lines is misleading in that they removed prior to welding in the new kidney bowl & sill end closure, then refitted after they were cleaned (prior to welding the wing back up as there is more room).

Good luck with the surgery Jonny! It's unfortunately one of those daunting jobs that one tends to put off as long as possible but won't leave the back of your mind! Once tackled and underway, hopefully it'll not turn out too bad and will give tremendous satisfaction and peace of mind (you'll sleep easier at nights!)

Regards,

David.

Go for it, if I was doing it again I'd replace the latch panel on both sides as well as per David. I just welded in patches where it was bad and that's where it's showing now.

Well done Master Gander - extent of rot looks similar to mine once opened up. Nice when the inner sills aren't gone aswell as at least you know you caught it "in time"!

Anyone know why Porsche changed the design of the kidney bowls for later cars? Yours has the earlier type but on post '86 /whatever you really have cut back all/ most of the outer sill in order to replace the much longer kidney. Extra weight of the G50 maybe? Seems unlikely....

Nige, you had a G50 kidney, how did you patch that mutha withough removing loads of the outer sill?

My kidneys where actually pretty good with just the bottom trailing edge rotted out, I think the drain hole had just blocked. So just had to replace a piece on each side with something that resemble half an easter egg-ish. It was the end of the sills where they merge into the kidneys that were stuffed and the outer bodywork.

If I do the latch panel I'll replace the whole kidneys as a matter of course, but all seem to rot slightly different in the same area. I think mine had seen plenty of cleaning under the arches in it's life so there was little crud/rot externally but I guess all that water just worked it's way into the the bottom of the kidneys, the upper parts are very good.

PICT0081.jpg

If I do the latch panel I'll replace the whole kidneys as a matter of course

If you do that on yours you are into cutting the back half of the sill of at least.

Late kidney.

S7302724.jpg

Early kidney

S7302725.jpg

Gotcha Teaboy, luckily it had only gone where that bracket is spot welded on. Though mine didn't have that bracket.

It had rotted where the wing merges into the sill, effectively the outer body metalwork that I've removed to get to the inner bit in the photo.