Impact Bumpers
R500_WKD

Nigel's Varioram-Powered Über-Tractor

Having spent the past 12 months collecting the bits we are finally starting to put the new project together.

Not sure what to call it. It's not one for the purists, it what i want to build, my interpretation of the perfect 911. I call it the Outlaw, but I'm sure I'm technically incorrect and someone will put me right. Not even sure this is the right forum to post it on.

I have always been a bit of a fan of the pre '73 cars. When i was growing up they were the iconic sports car. I think they are the most iconic of the 911's as well as some of the most forward thinking of their generation.

There are bits I love from all of them. The '67 R, the '70 ST and the RSR. So I wanted to build something with all of my favoutite bits. In the planning for 2 years, collecting the bits and starting to work on it started 12 months ago. Finally it's starting to come together.

I wanted something I could drive day to day in the summer. I don't need to try to beat the lap record at Brands Hatch, but I do want to track it from time to time. More importantly will be the trips to Le Mans and the weekend Road trips with she who must be obeyed, so comfy, not silly loud (but it needs to sound right with the windows down). I need to sit in a traffic jam and not panic about it overheating.

So we started with an '86 Turbo shell. Knocked back to bare metal and not a spot of rust to be seen. We put it on a jig just to make sure and it was spot on. With the Turbo shell we got the right suspension, hubs, brakes and steering, so a good place to kick off.

'73 RSR arches went on front and back, sunroof delete. Bumpers and bonnet were replaced with glass fiber, engine lid was left in steel. No duck tail, prefer the STR lines. '67 R light clusters front and back complete the body.

Engine choice was a standard '97 Varioram. With the right exhaust and Dyno tuning we should get 300 BHP plus on a sub 1000kg body which will give me the required 300/tonne. Driven through a G50 'box with a quaife LSD.

She's in the body shop at the moment. Should be in paint in a few weeks and then we can start bolting the bits on. With any luck I should be on the road before the end of the summer.

Should be a crack when it's finished.

8769964174_160ee9ae66.jpg

8769901886_f0769aeb43.jpg

8769891444_41cd237665.jpg

Awesome spec - looks great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:cool: Are you fabbing your own lightboxes?

Thanks guys. It should be quite an interesting one.

Yes, light boxes being fabricated. Problem with the plastic ones is that you can't french them in so you will always be left with a gap, which i don't like very much. So no option really. Not doing it myself, got someone who knows what he's doing on the case.

8939066249_9b32648d1a.jpg

It's not fiddled in yet. That joy is yet to come.

The whole thing is a bit of an adventure really. Not a great deal of experience, I design technical clothing for a living, but if the plan comes together it's going to be pretty cool.

Nice one Nigel, I look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers, Al

It's not fiddled in yet. That joy is yet to come.

The whole thing is a bit of an adventure really. Not a great deal of experience, I design technical clothing for a living, but if the plan comes together it's going to be pretty cool.

technical clothing sounds interesting, can you say more?

if you design you should have an eye for detail and with a build like this the end result will be all the better for it

count me in, I was in as soon as I read your title and the first sentence :cool:

Never been a fan of the 'trailer lights' on a 911, but the rest of it looks good. :signs118:

Retaining the torsion bars on the back or going coilies?

Sounds a sweet project to me, I like the mix and match approach,

Looks sweet - I like :) Wide arches are definitely where it at. You will be lucky to get to 1000kg if you are keeping a modicum of comfort, big brakes etc, but you have plenty of hp, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Any thoughts on wheels & tyres yet?

Thread should move to the hot rod section of the board. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Nice project and very well done on find and IB with no rust - I'm very jealous!

Did it come with a turbo engine? If so, wanna sell it ??

'Bout time you 'came out' with your car, it's looking great & going to be fantastic when done.

Where did you end up in the end with the exhaust or is it still to be decided?

Alex P - coming out, interesting term. I might design clothing but i don't follow the pink pound.

Carreracat, no it didn't come with an engine. If it had I might have done something different. Sorry.

Richard, no idea where it should be, if you feel it's best in the hotrod section please feel free to move it. Wheels - a great source of head scratching. I know it's heresy but I'm not a fan of the Fuchs - sorry. I am a bit of a fan of what Magnus Walker is up to and the Group 4 PAG's shod with TB15's is where I think I'm going.

Tea Boy - trailer lights - really?

World Citizen - I keep people warm and dry for a living - more engineering than designing in the "true" sense of the word, Al_W has experienced what we do. www.musto.com

Even though it's starting to gather pace now, I'm sure I'm going to hit quite a few bumps on the way. Hope I can count on you guys for some good advice.

Apologies if I missed anyone - I don't think I have.

Alex P - coming out, interesting term. I might design clothing but i don't follow the pink pound.

Carreracat, no it didn't come with an engine. If it had I might have done something different. Sorry.

Richard, no idea where it should be, if you feel it's best in the hotrod section please feel free to move it. Wheels - a great source of head scratching. I know it's heresy but I'm not a fan of the Fuchs - sorry. I am a bit of a fan of what Magnus Walker is up to and the Group 4 PAG's shod with TB15's is where I think I'm going.

World Citizen - I keep people warm and dry for a living - more engineering than designing in the "true" sense of the word, Al_W has experienced what we do. www.musto.com

Even though it's starting to gather pace now, I'm sure I'm going to hit quite a few bumps on the way. Hope I can count on you guys for some good advice.

Apologies if I missed anyone - I don't think I have.

Good chocie of wheels, JPS gold would go well with a cream car :twocents:

Nice job, just clicked on the link, wow you work with proper posh designer type totty :wub:

Nothing wrong with trailer lights, it is what surrounds them that counts

post-3031-0-79481300-1370376716_thumb.jpg

Edited by World Citizen

Not sure that the HR Dept would approve of me commenting on the "posh designer type totty", but it's not a bad gig. Photo shoots can be fun.

We have the privilege of working with some real hero's. They do things that would make most peoples toes curl. I might even have the best job in the world! I will post a video on Monday that will give you some idea of what we do.

Anyway, back to business, no Al, the exhaust isn't sorted yet. Fancy just sticking a set of megaphones on it, but not sure I will be able to live with it for long. The 964 is de cat and g pipe and that's loud enough. Want just the right amount of noise but without any resonance. Seen all the advice on Turbo Thomas and a custom job from him may well be the best solution. Problem is we cant fit a 993 type exhaust due to the lack of space and a duel outlet back box on a 3.6 seems to have significant resonance issues.

I have never liked them and never will, they are expensive yet manage to look cheap.

If you like them then great.

Nothing wrong with trailer lights, it is what surrounds them that counts

attachicon.gifMcLaren-F1_GTR_1995_800x600_wallpaper_03.jpg

I could live with them on an F1, I suppose. :wub:

This is definitely a Hot Rod, so I have moved it.

I like the trailer lights but have never got round to doing that on mine as I don't quite like them enough.

The group 4 wheels are great but the TB15s are not my cup of tea for price, profile and wear rate. I still think you have more options in 16 inch than anything else and they don't look as cartoonish as 17s.

If price was more sensible, these would be the bomb in 15s

Pirelli_P7-Corsa-Classic-.jpg

I really like these wheels

Image_Campaglike_16.jpg

Problem is we cant fit a 993 type exhaust due to the lack of space and a duel outlet back box on a 3.6 seems to have significant resonance issues.

That depends a lot on the size and design of the muffler.

Agree on TB wear rates, obscene really. There are options and the Pirellis work well for Tuthill cars allowed to run them. EB Motorsport is running the newly-mandatory Dunlops this year and going faster with much less wear. They are hard work from cold though - like to slip off the rims.

This build looks great: nice work.

PS TeaBoy: TRACTOR lights, not trailer lights :P

EB Motorsport is running the newly-mandatory Dunlops this year and going faster with much less wear. They are hard work from cold though - like to slip off the rims.

JG, if the tyres are rotating on the rims tell EB to lightly radially knurl or shot blast the rim diameter where the tyre seal fits, that should stop it

DoN't do this on the tyre lip vertical face as you need one smooth surface for sealing

No mate, not rotating. Low cold pressures to be right when on track, so they leak a bit if they sit around long after cooling down: sidewall profile/construction thing.

The boys pump them up to 30 odd when the racing's done. Makes a 911 lively on the road above the ton ;)

EB Motorsport is running the newly-mandatory Dunlops this year and going faster with much less wear. They are hard work from cold though - like to slip off the rims.

? What Dunlops?

? What Dunlops?

Some spec things. I will find out.