My new SC cab adventure

carreracat

I've been looking for an SC cab for about 2 years now and finally did the deal this week and the car was collected today from its previous owner in Plymouth.

Why an SC cab? Well I have a 3.0 turbo coupe for going fast and scaring myself in so I wanted a nice IB to cruise in whilst in the UK and enjoy holidays. I have had a 3.2 before (now happily with longman) and have heard so many good things about SCs from owners that i thought a nice SC cab was the car for me.

I've looked at a few over the last couple of years and prices have ranged from £8k to £18k but condition sways seemed similar - tatty and in need of rust removal surgery. I almost went for a silver on blue one with sport option wing and front lip last year but decided gainst it due to the likely amount of surgery required to the sills (cills?).

I was about to give up for the summer people start asking silly money for cabs this time of year but then last week one popped up on ebay. GP white on black, non sport with 16 x 6 & 7 Fuchs, 11 owners and 141k miles. The perfect spec and colour for me and the kind of mileage that I can really enjoy.

From the ebay pics and advert it looked good but adverts are always misleading so I was kind of expecting more of the same when I asked Rob of Racing Restorations to go and take a look for me. Rob got back to me with some surprising news - the car had no rust! He said that it was the second best IB he'd ever seen in terms of body condition. The car was laid up in storage and had only covered 2,000 miles in th least 6 years, needed some bits and bobs to make good but was well looked after and would likely need just tires and a brake recommision to pass an MOT.

After some thought (actually little by this point!) I decided to go for it. It had a lot of interest on ebay and had reached £8k in the first couple of days of the auction so I concluded the deal the to make sure I got it.

Rob went to collector yesterday and here a few first pics:

b2ff3ab893b1591992dcfcca7a4a8c8b_zpsb6ee

97f099041e9bce3a6e9549faa125806e_zps5beb

463b3ad9e093f38445042696326ed663_zps493f

First pass at the do list reads something this:

Brake refresh

New tires

MOT

Front seat retrim in the original black leatherette

Dial faces back to black from white

Wheel refurbish - the rims are painted

Source correct colour torneau cover as the current one is blue

Drive it!

According to Porsche the specs were:

engine 930/10 number 63DXXXX

gearbox 915/62 number 73DXXXX

color P5=grandprixwhite

interior YE=leatherette black,seats leather

delivered Feb.'83 to GB

options 020=instrument in miles and kmh

058=impact absorbers front and rear

061=GB-equipment

323=ECE-sticker

395=alloy wheels front 6x16,rear 7x16

441=electric antenna

466=second rear foglight

568=colored windows

592=warning light for brake fluid

Being in Singapore I have not seen the car yet so I'm very much looking forward to that. I must thanks thanks to Porsche Classic for being so helpful with research, JG for his imput and a very big thank you to Rob Campbell at Racing Restorations for doing the PPI and all the leg work for me. I have used him on a couple of car purchases now and I only wish I'd found him sooner as it would have saved me from a few lemons in the past!

thanks for the kind offer steve!

do you have a black one to trade george? i've never owned a cab like this before, does the cover get much use? i presume you can ride around with the top down without the cover on ok?

JG kindly took some pics over the weekend:

image_zps59e32fee.jpg

image_zps4965063f.jpg

image_zps8bfa3a6b.jpg

image_zpsdba7f8c9.jpg

image_zpsdba7f8c9.jpg

image_zps720e7317.jpg

image_zps1960483a.jpg

image_zpse3307aa2.jpg

and my personal favourite, great shot thisd:

image_zps89bb03b3.jpg

a few more:

image_zpse60bebe5.jpg

image_zpsdd689a9c.jpg

image_zpsdb6edc57.jpg

image_zps3657de34.jpg

and a cool action shot:

image_zps1dbaf8cd.jpg

some questions if you don't mind:

are the stock SC steering wheels difficult to find?

should there be sharks fins stone protectors on narrow body SC?

where can i get the gauge dials put back to black?

where is th ebest place to get the correct black leatherette seat covers?

can / should iremove the smpog / air pump thingy?

You can remove the air pump and associated plumbing but will need to install blanking plugs like these. Depends if you want to keep it stock. Should not be any shark fins as far as I am aware. Stock wheel could always be recovered if you can't find a good used one at a breakers.

I have a 3 spoke steering wheel coming off my 3.2 shortly. I don't think I will keep it as I am planning to go down a particular path with the car so it might be available. Not sure what your timeframe is though. Let me know if you are interested.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there Mark great looking car... but i would say that i've have one myself. on the subject of using the cover, i always fit mine just looks so much neater and only takes a minute to fit.

The black over white is the best colour combination.

I've got the whale tail on mine but yours looks really good without one.

Enjoy doing the jobs.

Cheers Dave.

Buy a set of black dials and sell the white ones. Have the speedo adjusted to read correctly.

Keep current seat covers and get the piping changed. Or buy proper perforated leather covers from Autobahn in the US. Don't ever use the word "leatherette" again or I'll get Perks to tweak your nipples.

Rip off the puke shark fins. Air pump to scrap heap.

Sort the wheels - refurb and paint centres black.

Buy the steering wheel offered above!

Nice car, mine has a whale tail too, yours looks better without it ,as mine is a 3.2 I have shark fins , I believe these were standard, The cover is best on as davy 911says, Out last night as warming up in uk now, top down of course, enjoy, andrew

I'm looking for a black tonneau too. They're dreadfully expensive new. I keep thinking I'll ask to borrow one and use it as a pattern to make my own or find a local re-upholsterer type to do it for me - hopefully at a fraction of the cost..

Buy a set of black dials and sell the white ones. Have the speedo adjusted to read correctly.

Keep current seat covers and get the piping changed. Or buy proper perforated leather covers from Autobahn in the US. Don't ever use the word "leatherette" again or I'll get Perks to tweak your nipples.

Rip off the puke shark fins. Air pump to scrap heap.

Sort the wheels - refurb and paint centres black.

Buy the steering wheel offered above!

add - fit cup mirrors to the list - no cab should be seen without them haha

I'm too big a fan of flag mirrors to swap them for anything else I'm afraid.

I don't think the cover that is on mine is original as it doesn't fit too well so that would be no good as your template.

Ok thanks

Mine had cups mirrors when I bought it. If it had flags I probably would prefer flags! Just removed the sills and sure enough found some rot, not too much fortunately, it certainly gives the car a sleeker, lighter look (not the rust, removing the sills). I'm going to get some Porsche decals next. I'm going for a respray next year/this winter so I'm just messing around with the look at the moment.

I don't think the cover that is on mine is original as it doesn't fit too well so that would be no good as your template.

I'm not sure the fit on the cover could ever be described as beautiful! Mine was unused when I bought the car and I have fitted it once. It looks okay but is a complete PITA to fit...and fouls the seatbelt for those of us of the taller / bulkier frame.

One question, is the hood on the car original? I only ask as the rear window is a different shape to that on my 3.2...but is the same as another SC I saw in Jersey a few weeks ago...so I just don't know!

I think it is original to a cab, just not yours. They don't fit that great! But do stop some buffeting. I ran mine without headliner so never needed/rarely used a tonneau.

The roof is generally right but not 100% so I think has been redone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...