Impact Bumpers
JohnW

Fitting rally computer

Hello,

I’m currently doing a few classic rallies in my 1982 911sc, and have one coming up. To help the poor navigator I’m planning on fitting a rally computer. Obviously something classic compliant, I’m thinking either a Brantz or a Terratrip.

2 questions:

1. Has anyone got any experience of either and willing to make a recommendation ?
  2. What’s the best fitting method ? I assume the wheel sensor is the way forward; if so, where to people fit these ? Non-driven wheel, but where’s the best place to point these ?

Thanks,

John.

Update to this, I have just come across the terratrip dual sensor interface so I assume this is better than the wheel sensor.

Hello,

I’m currently doing a few classic rallies in my 1982 911sc, and have one coming up. To help the poor navigator I’m planning on fitting a rally computer. Obviously something classic compliant, I’m thinking either a Brantz or a Terratrip.

2 questions:

1. Has anyone got any experience of either and willing to make a recommendation ?
  2. What’s the best fitting method ? I assume the wheel sensor is the way forward; if so, where to people fit these ? Non-driven wheel, but where’s the best place to point these ?

Thanks,

John.

Make sure the events you enter allow electronic trip meters, some don't!

Brantz 2 is a good bit of kit, but I prefer Terratrip. Try and get one with a built in clock/stopwatch, your co-driver will thank you for it!

We usually put 2 wheel sensors, on the non-driven wheels, and fit a changeover switch in case one fails.

You sometimes get good second hand ones on E-bay or Britishrally web-site.

Edited by hukent

Any advice from you clever rally types on how to get rid of background noise coming through my Terratrip intercom?

can anyone recommend a decent surpressor perhaps for the alternator? or is there something else obvious that I should be doing / changing?

thank you

Any advice from you clever rally types on how to get rid of background noise coming through my Terratrip intercom?

can anyone recommend a decent surpressor perhaps for the alternator? or is there something else obvious that I should be doing / changing?

thank you

Common fault with Terratrip Intercoms Ben.

Is it powered from the cars 12V system or from a battery?

If it's from the 12V system you can suppress the alternator, if it's from the battery

it won't matter what you do it will always be crap!

Direct from the battery. :(

Could I try and piggyback a positive and negative from existing wiring then try to suppress the alternator???

You haven't got a decent old intercom in the back of the garage going spare have you Hu? :)

I always use Peltor, fit and forget.

Anyone have a picture of Brantz wheel sensor installation?

Have a look at my site here : www.vhtrip.com and go to the gallery.

Last 2 pics will show you wheel probe installation to read caliper bolt.

This is for out range of ATB tripmeters but exactly the same principle for competitor brands as far as sensor is concerned (our units are just better lol).

Edited by fxm911

My Brantz Retrotrip installation:

Sensor through the brake cover.

WP_20140122_003Kopio_zps43ca998f.jpg

Cable from wheel well to "smugglers box"

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x281/EsaS_2007/WP_20140122_005Kopio_zpsa78dc759.jpg[/img]

And through the box to the cabin

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x281/EsaS_2007/WP_20140126_008Kopio_zps59dbd2d0.jpg[/img]

Here's the tripmeter: looks almost like a rally car. I'm planning to take part in regularity rallies. My wife has promised to be a co-driver, maybe she'll divorce me after first race.

WP_20140126_009Kopio_zps3ee0cd45.jpg