The guards red paintwork on my 86 911 was looking very tired and faded so I went to see my local detailer to see if he could help, after a long discussion he said he could get the colour back.

I collected the car on saturday and the results are amazing, it has completely transformed the car from a dull flat red/pink colour to a rich vibrant red which you can see your reflection in with no swirls from dodgy eastern european car washes!!!!

He spent 50 hours re hydrating the paint and machining it to get the colour back and mirror finish, It wasnt cheap but it was well worth it as the results are stunning.

Pics to follow

I was at the Maldon Car Show yesterday with my Guards Red Coupe parked with a red 944 one side and a red 3.2 Targa Super Sport the other. I thought my paint was quite good until you could compare directly. The other two were sparkling and mine looked Matt Pink by comparison! :(

Really must get mine properly sorted. Would be very interested in where you went and how much.

I'd imagine the tables are easily turned in other countries Fred. We as British are known for our bad teeth, poor cooking and about 2 dozen more generalisations that I can't really think of at the moment, but you get the picture.

Though I guess you could go to an all English only car wash, pay £2.50 and have the same service, it's probably more reflective of the price and a lazy car owner ;) rather than origin of the hand holding the dirty sponge that's been dropped on the floor fifty times.

Don’t knock the Eastern Europeans.

British manufacturing would have come to a complete standstill without them.

My heart sinks when recruitment agencies send ‘local’ temps to my business.

A couple of weeks back I had chap call in to ask if I could give his son a job – he was obviously a desperate man. It filled me with confidence when he came out with the quote ‘I don’t know what to do with him’ – just what any potential employer wants to hear.

A week later he called back, again enquiring over the possibilities of employment. I pointed out my concerns about the ‘I don’t know what to do with him’ and the fact that it was dad visiting not son. He tried to quash my fears and stated that his wife had now prepared a CV for the son!

I've recently succumbed to the draw of detailingworld.co.uk and just received a box of microfibres, LSPs, cleanser,, etc etc. I do have 'previous' of this when I had the CS, and probably used the products 3 times max in 2 years of ownership.

As I've just said to the Mrs ... "i'm just going outside and may be some time"

Looks lovely but 50hrs, thats bonkers money for a wash and wax, how relaxed will you feel about driving about in it now?

I'll bet I've got swirls on my eyeballs so it would be a waste of money on my car

I have no worries about driving it, it needed that amount of hours as the paint was really tired, Its 85% finished theres still a bit more to do later in the year.

It was a fair bit of money but why have a nice mechanically sound car that is let down by dull paintwork.

Professional paint correction is so much more involved than just a wash and wax !!!

Red paint on 80s cars seems to be a nightmare. My old Scirocco needed polishing every other week if the sun was shining.

I'm not sure how bad your car was, but in 50hrs I'd expect them to be down to bare metal, if not Australia. I just used hand-glaze (ooo-err) and half an hour of elbow grease (ooo-err) was usually enough with my old car. Bit of p1200 (wet) and some t-cut usually gets rid of swirls and minor scratches.

This is the stuff...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GSXX2NQ3V5be9NQK7NZ8TZgl

I got a red Mercedes back to red from pink after much elbow grease, and the wife's Sierra was matt pink by the time we scrapped it.

It caused me to vow never to buy a red car again.

You'd think that Merc would use a better UV resistant paint than Ford, but obviously Porker Guards Red is the same.

Anyway, not to be the harbinger of doom, but once I'd got the Mercedes back to red, it gradually faded back to matt pink in the sun.

I sold it at night to a Romanian guy who had driven up from London to pay cash. Relevant to the above, the Polish couple who drove my Merc back from Manchester

at 1am had to be up for work at 7am!! Talk about a work ethic. Sadly he also got a speeding fine, as I had to send on the notice that Yorkshire plod sent me, 70 in a 50mph roadworks.

The moral of the story is never trust a red car, and ALWAYS get the new keepers written info in the V5 before they drive off with your old car