Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

Kevins 930

My 930. shall I sell or keep

Hello everyone

I have owned my 89 5 speed 930 since 93 mileage now under 40K condition pretty close to showroom.

I am reading that prices are climbing, is this dealer talk or is the marque set for price climb ?

any ideas please as I am considering selling mine

thanks

Prices are high, just check the prices being asked. Sure you'd can sell it.

The question is what would you replace it with?

I'm in the US and the market for all air-cooled Porsches are really on the move up. I pay close attention to Pelicam Parts and Rennlist Classifieds and other "for sale" sites. I've noticed a definite price uptick in the last year and half or so. The economy is certainly improving over here, perhaps more so than in Europe. Being an owner of a 930 I may be biased, however, I feel they're a bit undervalued still. I think the value will accelerate upwards in the next five years, significantly. I'm starting to see low mileage (10-20k miles) original cars nearing the $100k mark, which I think would've been unthinkable couple of years ago. I saw an article recently in a US publication where they predicted the price of reasonably good 930s to be in the $85k range in five years and pegging the current value of a good "driver quality" car today at $35-45k. It seems to me a 5sp 930 is worth around $10k more than a 4sp.

If you do not have to sell, I would wait a little while longer. I believe the economic condition will be improve in the rest of Europe and your audience will be much larger when you try to sell it. I have a feeling if you sell now you will be kicking yourself few years down the road.

Mac

Edited by Mac

930's were manufactured in quite high numbers so I don't believe prices will ever go stratospheric (except for maybe early 3.0). Also due to driving (engine) characteristics it's not even that popular amongst Porsche fans.

However a mint, low mileage 5 speed is up there with the most desirable 3.3's and there will always be buyers in that category. I reckon they will rise in line with (real) inflation and your money is as safe there as anywhere else.

In my humble highly unprofessional opinion :)

Thanks for input guys

I certainly do not have to sell the car, but it is one of several classics I own and run.

I am mid 50's and going to be retiring within the next 12 months and I am just slightly concerned that on my pension if anything major crops up expenses wise with the car I may have to think twice before dipping hand in pocket where as my other classics are all VERY affordable and DIY.

I think I will hold tight for a while, valuable advice from you

Kevin

I would second (third / fourth?) the hold tight. I'm in a similar position to you as I've retired in my mid 50's. I'm constantly astounded as to how much cheaper parts for my Marcos GT are than for the Porsche (I've just paid less than £10 for a pair of front brake hoses delivered - OE spec). Having said that the Porsche needs very little other than routine maintenance / improvement so is hardly a drain at all on finances. I've set myself up a fund for my motoring - if one car needs something then another may have to do without. Saves any marital friction and works very well IMHO

Keep it!!

Roy

I think FredT brings up a valid point in regards to production numbers.

However, like my other fun car, E30 M3 which was also sold in similar numbers has been going up steeply last few years. They are both iconic 80s factory hot rods that appeal to baby boomers who are now retiring and like myself realize if we live another twenty five years we'll be lucky, so if we want to play with these things we must do it now! The baby boomer generation is a large group.

Look at the long hood 911 prices lately, they were built in fairly big numbers. Demographics has a lot to do with it, IMHO.

Think one has to be careful about what is a realistic value of a 930 these days, as I was considering one for a few months and plenty of cars that are still for sale now. What cars are listed at and what they sell for would be good to know.

Then again some really go to town with prices :- http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-pre-89/1989-porsche-911--930-turbo-g-50/1525733

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

Dave

Hi All. I've decided to take the plunge and buy a 930 turbo or supersport. I have looked at a number of cars and none of them float my boat purely from a condition perspective. If anybody knows of a good honest car for sale, i am a serious buyer and looking to pay sensible money. I'm generally after an unmolested car of original paint and condition, that has not been restored. Budget is not an issue for the right car and have an open mind from 20 - 55k as this is what it will take i'm sure .

I live in Essex, and a private buyer, but more than happy to travel anywhere in the UK to find one. I might be persuaded to buy a non turbo or wide bodied car if anyone has a nice one and just looking forward to get a car to play with over the winter as i'm already dreading the thought of the cold dark nights .

Cheers and looking forward to being involved in the forum discussions .

Hi All. I've decided to take the plunge and buy a 930 turbo or supersport. I have looked at a number of cars and none of them float my boat purely from a condition perspective. If anybody knows of a good honest car for sale, i am a serious buyer and looking to pay sensible money. I'm generally after an unmolested car of original paint and condition, that has not been restored. Budget is not an issue for the right car and have an open mind from 20 - 55k as this is what it will take i'm sure .

I live in Essex, and a private buyer, but more than happy to travel anywhere in the UK to find one. I might be persuaded to buy a non turbo or wide bodied car if anyone has a nice one and just looking forward to get a car to play with over the winter as i'm already dreading the thought of the cold dark nights .

Cheers and looking forward to being involved in the forum discussions .

Not sure about unprinted or unrestored if you are too picky you might wait forever. The red one on pistonheads at just under 40 looks great on paper that's the first one I'd look at

Good candidate for worst advert of the year if nothing else. :);)

Thanks for the links. I'm gonna take my time with this as i looked at a few in the last couple of days ( mainly private ) and they are all poorly painted and full of pudding ;-(

It would seem people are under some illusion regarding the term immaculate condition .

cheers

It would seem people are under some illusion regarding the term immaculate condition .

cheers

Depends whether they are buying or selling of course. Have you PM'd 'Kevins 930' to see whether he'll reconsider his decision to hold?

Kevin,

I'm going to assume you are aware of what's happening with the 911Turbo market currently. I looked at Hagerty's valuation site at end of last year and they showed the average value of a 930 at $39k, now they show it at $58k! This has caused a firestorm of posts in various forums over here regarding the value of these cars. Many people are questioning the valuation and unfortunately for enthusiasts collector/investors seems to have jumped into the market and seems to be driving up the prices.

Personally, it doesn't matter because I don't think I could part with my car in the near future. I love the car and driving it gives me too much pleasure. I would think the early non Intercooled cars and the 5sp cars are the most desirable of the 930s. I think you are sitting pretty!

Mac

If you don't need to sell then I would hold onto it unless you really have had enough of it as a car..........mines only an SC and the prices on them are getting silly, problem with our cars is that if the proces get too high then more investors will move in plus people will be scared to use them as Dr P intended (quote from Nige when we were playing at Curborough last year)

Agree with Nige and Rob on prices getting ever sillier. I have always enjoyed driving my '84 Turbo as it was intended, happy into knowedge that it wasn't very valuable, unlike a very low mileage 2.4 S that I had a few years ago. Saw the very same car for sale in a magazine a couple of years ago for £60,000 plus!, would think now that it would be approaching £100,000 and I certainly couldn't affront to drive it without trepidation if I still owned it. Would be more worry than pleasure, just hope that our cars don't go the way of Aston DB's, completely out of reach for the average enthusiast.

Regards,

David.

I'm starting to have doubts about the sense of driving my 3.0 930 around given the rising values too.

Mines only insures third party which is a cause for concern!

IF you dont need the money in the bank for anything else then keep.......

Agree with Nige and Rob on prices getting ever sillier. I have always enjoyed driving my '84 Turbo as it was intended, happy into knowedge that it wasn't very valuable, unlike a very low mileage 2.4 S that I had a few years ago. Saw the very same car for sale in a magazine a couple of years ago for £60,000 plus!, would think now that it would be approaching £100,000 and I certainly couldn't affront to drive it without trepidation if I still owned it. Would be more worry than pleasure, just hope that our cars don't go the way of Aston DB's, completely out of reach for the average enthusiast.

Regards,

David.

where can you find a rhd matching numbers 2.4s for 100k? id put them close to 125-150k if you could find one.. still remember the ferrymans car that nick restored selling for nigh on 90k two years back maybe.. seemed toppy then, now looks like a bargain..

where can you find a rhd matching numbers 2.4s for 100k? id put them close to 125-150k if you could find one.. still remember the ferrymans car that nick restored selling for nigh on 90k two years back maybe.. seemed toppy then, now looks like a bargain..

Here's a surprisingly unpretty one in Italy at £127K - http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C475002

and one in the states for the equivalent of £135k

Yonkers

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C458486 - that US one

both are 67 2.0s, arguably rarer.. both plus import duty to UK .. i sold my 68 s to singapore about three years ago for 50 odd grand.. there are a few expletives that come to mind right now!

enquired about this today

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-964/porsche-964-rs-rhd/2086208

90k miles.. and sellers wants 150 grand for it :wacko:

OP.. keep your turbo.. enjoy it.. and looks like it will still be worth more in the end..