• 2 months later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Priced low for a quick sale - and has sold. Looked like an interesting car and very low miles annually since 2006. 3.2 Targas are not in super low supply and Coupes are in higher demand.  A nice

Prices move for various reasons. Once whatever is driving the low supply is removed and supply improves, prices will soften unless something else has come in to replace the effect of the first thing.

I think most 924s had the lift-out roof.  Non-sunroof cars like mine seem rare.  Mine has a/c which was pretty rare in 1981, not sure if you could have non-roof without a/c.

Posted Images

Did an SC valuation yesterday and the market observations said it all. Those talking down the current market clearly have no clue what is going on with supply of good solid RHD Impact Bumper cars (and those that come later, but we'll leave them for now).

Yesterday on Pistonheads there were TWO RHD SC Coupes for sale. One is a 62k-mile car for sale at a broker somewhere with no pics. Said to have a full restoration and up for £80k. Yes EIGHTY GRAND.

The other is the SC Coupe restored by Dick Lovett for the Porsche 70 Classic launch. 122k miles but redone front to back and up at £115k.

If you have a serious off in an SC this year and it ends in total loss, you wil struggle to find a solid RHD car for sale in the classifieds and for every one good car there will be plenty of buyers. Make sure your club or dealer valuations are up to speed! I am not valuing SC Coupes at £80k before you ask.

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 07.26.42.png

😱 do you see prices holding fast or continuing on an upward trajectory? As you know, toying with the idea of downsizing but I may stay put. 

3 hours ago, Busybee said:

😱 do you see prices holding fast or continuing on an upward trajectory? As you know, toying with the idea of downsizing but I may stay put. 

Prices move for various reasons. Once whatever is driving the low supply is removed and supply improves, prices will soften unless something else has come in to replace the effect of the first thing. This is happening every day - pressures change at each end of the seesaw.

Prices for these things go up and down and every IB is different. I wouldn't buy them or sell them based on price. If they fit in your life, keep them. When they don't, let them go. Make what you make or lose what you lose but don't keep them if the focus is purely on price.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jehatwhitland said:

Off the main thread topic, but I used to have a 924T and the lift out sunroof was described as a targa roof. Assume it was the same for the 944. 

Classic dealer poetic licence. Lift out sunroof is what it's called. Did you ever use yours?

My 944 has a sunroof but I have never driven the car. The 924T is non sunroof and that is fine by me - love that shape.

I think most 924s had the lift-out roof.  Non-sunroof cars like mine seem rare.  Mine has a/c which was pretty rare in 1981, not sure if you could have non-roof without a/c.

• Like 1
On 07/08/2020 at 06:35, johndglynn said:

Classic dealer poetic licence. Lift out sunroof is what it's called. Did you ever use yours?

My 944 has a sunroof but I have never driven the car. The 924T is non sunroof and that is fine by me - love that shape.

No, just never saw the point, too much of a pain to take off, put in the bag and have in the boot. Seemed easier just to wind the windows down when it was hot! 😎 

• Like 1
On 07/08/2020 at 15:31, Lesworth said:

My lift out roof is removed at every opportunity and my SC sunroof also.

Yeah no surprise there - basically Magnum PI in a Porsche instead of a Fezza 😎

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested to learn more about the engine spec on that last car. Never heard of an 'S' spec 2.7 but every day is a learning day...

So got the books out for a bit of reading...

Looks like '74 was a bit of a backward step in the engine department at least power wise.

Standard 2.7 produced 150bhp which only 10 more than my lowly US spec 2.4 '73T.  The '74 S produced 175 bhp by increasing compression ratio from 8.0:1 to 8.5:1 - that's quite a jump, would that just have been different pistons?

The 'S' of 1973 produced 190 bhp. Not the best start for the IB years then...

If that Aussie car is correct it should have a plaque on the dashboard. Surely they'd have that in the photos if it was there?

And apparently it should have headlamp washers...

And the 'S' had a trombone oil cooler. Oops...

IMG-2439.thumb.jpg.b0be8c993e559cd72657dd325e70c75d.jpg

Edited by Flat 6
Update

29 minutes ago, Flat 6 said:

So got the books out for a bit of reading...

Looks like '74 was a bit of a backward step in the engine department at least power wise.

Standard 2.7 produced 150bhp which only 10 more than my lowly US spec 2.4 '73T.  The '74 S produced 175 bhp by increasing compression ratio from 8.0:1 to 8.5:1 - that's quite a jump, would that just have been different pistons?

The 'S' of 1973 produced 190 bhp. Not the best start for the IB years then...

Yes, different pistons. 

75 ‘S’ was one up from base.
The ad just seems to be stretching things a bit.

It looks like a great car for someone wanting a 2.7 CIS but it would be better if details like brakes, suspension, washers etc were correct at this price.

2 hours ago, Flat 6 said:

If that Aussie car is correct it should have a plaque on the dashboard. Surely they'd have that in the photos if it was there?

I believe in some if not all markets anniversary/commemorative type models were supplied with plaques that were not attached giving customers the option to keep in folder or have dealer attach them so not all that unusual to see genuine cars without the plaques.

• johndglynn changed the title to IB Market Watch
  • 2 months later...
On 13/11/2020 at 20:26, njpcarrera32 said:

Are prices finally softening, or is just normal winter blues? There seem to be a number of 3.2's with relatively low mileage and in good condition at this price point:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1275127

Priced low for a quick sale - and has sold. Looked like an interesting car and very low miles annually since 2006.

3.2 Targas are not in super low supply and Coupes are in higher demand.  A nice dark metallic G50 Coupe with that mileage and dark sports leather would be low supply at the minute. That's why this one with less than 20k miles just sold for £75,000 (twice the price of the 79k Targa). No mention of how many owners unless I am missing it.

1.jpg

• Like 3